SASS Wire Forum

Non-SASS Advice on an AR With all your help I found 1

Marlin Buckhorn,SASS 51727

Thanks again for everybodies input! I really appreciate it.

What are your thoughts about the quality, durability, accuracy and price on the Bushmaster products. Sorry I don't know more about the rifle than I have posted.

Your help is appreciated,

Marlin

I have/had several, never had a problem with any, never a FTF. For the price I feel they are a good value, not a Baer or other top line but not the price of those either. Way ahead of a Mini 14 in my opinion and easier to buy addons for. I'd buy another if I needed one.

Guest Sheriff Pack Wolf, SASS #31917

I have a different Bushy,..with a 20"barrel but it is reliable and shoots -3/4" with hand loads. I think your price is in line. My last AR cost about 700.00

I have a (made in Maine) bushmaster among my several ar-15 carbines. My Colt and Rock River carbines have match 2 stage triggers whereas the Bushmaster comes with a single stage trigger. I never noticed the difference until I was shooting for score that the single stage was not as 'precise" (for me) of a trigger. HOWEVER...it is an easy swap out to change the trigger. Most all AR 15 rifles and carbines are pretty much identical...some have rails to hang crap on but there is nothing wrong with Bushmaster....I personally would rather buy a Windam Weaponry to support the workers that Remington put out of work when they bought bushmaster and moved the factory .

All AR's will jam. That is why specific action drills are taught. I have seen a S&W go through a 2 class with no jams where as a Ruger SR556 had some issues.

Most issues are related to cheap ammo, cheap against and poor cleaning. The shooter also has an effect on reliability.

It is pretty hard to screw up when building an AR these days.

Some have better parts, some have BCG's that are shot peened some do not. Pick you poison.

Here is a link to what is referred to as the chart.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=417367

A bunch of AR owners get their feelings hurt when a post made that has a negative tone towards their brand. So take the chart for what is worth, which is a comparison of some specifics.

All AR's will jam. That is why specific action drills are taught. I have seen a S&W go through a 2 class with no jams where as a Ruger SR556 had some issues.

Most issues are related to cheap ammo, cheap against and poor cleaning. The shooter also has an effect on reliability.

It is pretty hard to screw up when building an AR these days.

Some have better parts, some have BCG's that are shot peened some do not. Pick you poison.

Here is a link to what is referred to as the chart.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=417367

A bunch of AR owners get their feelings hurt when a post made that has a negative tone towards their brand. So take the chart for what is worth, which is a comparison of some specifics.

So what do you have for full disclosure?

So it would seem the rifle is a reliable firearm. What about the price? Is $779.00 ($834.00 out the door)a high, average or low price. Again the rifle is a flattop optic ready. aka NO SIGHTS!

Thanks again,

Marlin

To determine how much is a good price, you should shop around a bit locally.

Then visit gunBroker and see what the same gun sells for.

make certain of an identical options.

If possible get this gun in 5.56 chambering.

The 5.56 is a little hotter than the 223.

In price comparison remember the sales tax, shipping, FFL fees if using gunBroker and even use tax.

Other contributing factors include how many and what size magazines are included.

Good luck with your purchase.

Hacker

This is the best price I have seen. Nothing at this price on Gunbroker at base price before shipping and FFL fees. Magazines are not a problem as I have several. Just wondering if the rifles retail for less than the $779 in other locations.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it,

Marlin

Howdy,

As with any product you are getting the company behind the item along

with the actual product.

Look into how they treat other customers.

And just for the heck of it checkout Lewis Machine tool.

Really nice workmanship, I dont own one......yet.

Best

CR

Some of the stuff on the list is nice but pointless. For example, the "H" buffer. M16 bolt carrier, black extractor spring insert or the milspec diameter receiver extension. Guns run just fine without a "H" buffer, there is no need for the m16 bolt carrier, who cares of the extractor spring insert is black and the diameter of the receiver extension only matters if you plan on changing it.

On the other hand, there are some things that are important and one of those is a properly staked gas key, which Bushmaster does not do from the factory. BUT!, staking the gas key is a really simple job that any AR smith can do in minutes for not much. More annoying (if you are getting a Bushmaster carbine) is that fact that they don't use the proper carbine ("F") front sight base. Its a little taller than the standard one, which is needed to properly zero the carbine. So what does that mean practically? It means that your front sight will ride a little higher between the protective ears than it should, but it will zero fine and it will not stick out completely. If you plan on mounting an optic, this is not an issue at all.

So, should you get the bushmaster? Up to you. I have found them to be very good guns at a good price. Unlike many of the other producers, Bushmaster has actually produced guns for the military (US Marines).

Speaking for my self, I have three and they run just fine. You can spend a lot more but then again why? If you are buying a gas impingement gun, they all have the same basic problems. If you are looking for a piston gun, thats a horse of different wheelbase.

Bushies used to be the best of a small group of manufacturers. Now there are tons assemblers using a fewer number of source manufacturers.

Take a look at Windham Weaponry...the original Bushmaster gang that now has gone through the 5 year non-compete and is building again. If you like Bushmaster, you'll love Windham.

You are probably going to want a new trigger group for most of these guns. A lot of us use Rock River Arms triggers because they are the best stock trigger on the market at this price range of AR-15's. That will cost you about $130.

So, if you're in the market, why not look at Rock River to start with. I shoot an Elite Operator and it's accurate as hell but a little heavy because of the free float tube and heavy barrel.

Palmetto Arms out of Florida use FN frames and FN is the current military supplier.

If I buy another gun, it will be a custom because I want a good bolt/carrier group, a high end barrel and as light as I can possibly make it. You pay for flexibility with weight. I don't want another 8 pound AR.

Optics...midway had a great price on Aimpoint Pros and I consider them to be superior to any other red dot less than $600. Check slickguns.com for midway discount of $35.

Just read Doc's post. He's correct on what he's said. Unless you shoot for competition most of the stuff people "absolutely" have to have is "yeah...well...heh heh". What happened was this: kids stopped building their own cars back in the 80's and they've been looking for a replacement to a handbuilt muscle car ever since. Harley is an attempt at that. But for someone with a grand, the AR works.

Gas key staking is critical and bc group plating/finishing is important.

Most guys with trouble are guys shooting cheap ammo. A good 62 grain boolit will cost close to $0.40 a round nowadays. But if you want good factory ammo, don't search for bargains on what your life depends on. Range ammo? since you're new to the game, I'd stay away from steel cased ammos. A lot can be said about the ammo and cleaning, but do you want a round jammed in your chamber when the bad guys come calling because you use Russian steel cases and didn't do the required cleanup? Not I.

You might want to check out the Smith & Wesson MP 15 Sport. While S&W elected not to put on a forward assist or a dust cover, the Sport is gaining a good reputation for being accurate and dependable. They can also be found for under $700.00.

Thinking about a new AR. See a Bushmaster in .223 with M4 stock & handguards, flattop optics ready. Price is $779.00.

What are your thoughts about the quality, durability, accuracy and price on the Bushmaster products. Sorry I don't know more about the rifle than I have posted.

Your help is appreciated,

Marlin

I have the M4 style with 16.5 bbl. Used it during the last 3 years of my LE career, can only say good things about it. Can't go wrong with it. Mine is a 1-9 twist, I use primarily 55 gr SP ammo and it has open trijicon sights. Out to 200 yards it will shoot better than me. Some have said the trigger is hard, mine is set for LE use and is not a sniper weapopn. I did use it hard and it never failed or malfunctioned. Avoid cheap ammo though.....

Dapper Dan I sent you an email.

Thanks for all the input everybody. I know there are better rifles out there but they are not in my budget so that is why the questions about the Bushmaster.

Thanks again everybody,

Marlin

Check Palmetto State Armory out before you buy a Bushy. PSA makes mil-spec rifles using FN barrels. Their standard M4 sells for $699 and they have many "cutomized" models that are $799. PSA is similar to where Bravo Company was a few years ago; making high quality mil-spec AR's for cheaper than the name brands. Now Bravo Company has become one of the go-to brands and are priced accordingly. PSA rifles are currently the best bang-for-the-buck in AR's. Some people have complained about slow shipping, but I have experienced the opposite.

FWIW, Remember when buying an AR-15 that the Aurora Colorado movie shooter used a Smith & Wesson and it jambed.

What jammed was that mall ninja 100 round clockwork magazine.

The Smith & Wesson AR is a good rifle, and a much better value than anthing else in its price range.

Mine has reliably fed and fired everything from Russian steel-case to Korean economy to high priced match ammo. Never a problem.

A store herabouts (Kames) just had them on sale for $590.

For $700, it sounds like this is one of those carbon-fiber polymer framed Bushmasters.

I've read on other forums where they crack at the back end where the buffer tube screws in.

Not a very good feature.

Ask a hunnert fokes what is their favorite and go with the most commonly named second choice. So far your Bushmaster seems as close to that consensus as any! I think this is as fruitless as asking who is the most beautiful woman, everyone judges them different.

Ask a hunnert fokes what is their favorite and go with the most commonly named second choice. So far your Bushmaster seems as close to that consensus as any! I think this is as fruitless as asking who is the most beautiful woman, everyone judges them different.

Yeah, pretty much.

It's relay a Ginger/Maryann kinda thing.

A lot of folks who complain about feed problems are using crappy mags. Get top of the line magazines and start shootin. :)

My agency used Bushmasters as patrol rifles. They workd fine.

After you have chosen the rifle, the next and perhaps a more important search is for a collection of magazines that work.

Take a bunch to the range and fire that rifle.

Magazines that work come home in a bag marked "works".

Those that don't either don't come home or come home in a bag marked "don't work".

Unless you good at fixing things the "don't work" bag of magazines should rendevous with a sledge hammer and get broken up and disposed as trash.

Don't waste your time and don't pay to fix em.

As others have pointed out some of those fancy pants high round count magazines don't work.

Again try. Get rid bad ones. Keep the good ones.

After many years shooting tactical matches and rolling around in the dirt with various guns, the only magazines that have been proven to work all the time every time are USGI (Brownells) and Magpul Pmags, most everything else is crap. However, the new Lancer and Tangodown mags have been working but haven't been around very long to make a final determination.

Archived