SASS Wire Forum

I hate yellow jackets!

While spraying for weeds today, I decided to spray around a neighbors' vacant house and garage for weeds and poison ivy. there was/is a garbage can full of junk, soze I decided to put it in the garage to help the looks of the area. I had drug it a few yards when...ouch, oh shi..........yellerjackets!!!!!!!!!! Picture this, me with a 3 gallon sprayer strapped to my back just a running a swinging for safety, stopped about 20yds away,,,,nope! keep runnin....make it into the house, can't shut the door cause the hose and wand are in the way, finally get the door shut, 3 have gotten in.....they're pis....ummm mad, what to do? tank still on my back with 3 angry yellers looking for meat....finally get it off and 3 dead yellers,,,,,two cans of wasp spray later and they're still buzzing around the original spot...gotta git mor wasp spray!!!! Oh yea, they got me about 10 times or so!!!!!!

No side effects praise the Lord!!!!!!

Cheyenne, hurting, Culpepper

Yup. They be nasty little critters.

Out on the side of my storage shed there was a massive nest of them. I didn't know about them but they found out about me. I went putting some junk back there and banged on the wall where their nest was. They came and found me really quickly. I had about 20 of the little buggers chasing me all the way back to the house. I came back an hour later to close the door and spray the nest. I don't like them, they're mean. <_<

I got a whole collection of em in my trap down by the shed. just tell me how many you need. :lol:

My cat tried to eat one.

Almost lost her.

It bit her on the side of the mouth from the inside.

It was swelled up and she had much trouble breathing.

Vet helpd pull her through.

She is now up and mousing around.

I have been at war with Mud Daubers in my garage. I have been finding their nests everywhere. I mean everywhere including several on a saddle. Fortunately they are not aggressive and if I stand still they will ignore me. I watch where they hover and land and then zap them with wasp spray.

They're all over the place out here. At least it sure seems that way. I've already gone through six cans of hornet spray and just picked up three more at Home Depot today. The guy on the news says that the reason they're so numerous this year is because we had a relatively mild winter and it's been warmer than normal this summer, so they've been super busy laying eggs.

I've found nests in the barn, in the eaves of the house, under backyard benches, in an old mule skull out back, tucked up in outdoor lamps, under the bird feeders, under the horse trailer, ad infinitum.

I'm sure there's a use for those suckers, but I'll be danged if I know what it is. Reminds me of the old Ogden Nash poem:

In his wisdom,

God made the fly,

And then forgot,

To tell us why.

I killed five big nests of the !#$%^& just before our annual. I left two cans of spray on the bays in case I missed one. Sure enough, I did miss one, but the deadeye posse nailed another nest in quick fashion. We keep an epipen at the range just in case someone gets stung and has a severe reaction.

I was cuttin' da back 40 a few years back. Ran over a big ole nest of dem nasty critters.

Put da tractor in high gear an headed fer da homestead as fast as I could...........

6 stings in da back, one on da leg and 5 in hot pursuit !

Burnt da nest all to hell ! lol

Those and wasp will make me run away squealing like a lil girl. No fear of snakes, spiders or most anything else, but those lil things....ugghhh. Being alergic doesnt help much either.

Ortho Plus is your friend. Mix it up in a sprayer, about 10x's stronger that the instructions say. Spray this around walls, windows, cracks, etc. It will not kill them, but it will make them leave and stay away for a month or so, depending on how strong you mix it. I normally spray my shop and outside of my house about twice a year.

CC I think we can all identify.....ouch! Hope you got em all. Widder plays a game with em and shoots em....maybe he'll jump in and tell ya about it. Hope you get better quick.

KK

I have been at war with Mud Daubers in my garage. I have been finding their nests everywhere. I mean everywhere including several on a saddle. Fortunately they are not aggressive and if I stand still they will ignore me. I watch where they hover and land and then zap them with wasp spray.

Bad move. They are voracious spider killers. Each mud tube will have several cells in it and each cell will have a baby mud dauber and several paralyzed spiders. I took me over 50 years but I finally convinced Miss Lorrie to leave them alone.

Yellow jackets. Foxes will stand in front of a yellow jacket nest with their eyes closed and eat the nest like it was candy.

Have had my share this year too. On my second can of spray this year. Knocked out a nest in a shed door earlier this week. Main problem I've had is carpenter bees. They seem to love our car port. Killed at least a dozen and have had to fill in holes :blush:

Bad move. They are voracious spider killers. Each mud tube will have several cells in it and each cell will have a baby mud dauber and several paralyzed spiders. I took me over 50 years but I finally convinced Miss Lorrie to leave them alone.

Yellow jackets. Foxes will stand in front of a yellow jacket nest with their eyes closed and eat the nest like it was candy.

Ironically, the spiders they prey on are beneficial predators of pest insects. Dirt daubers can really screw up electric motors and such so its war for me.

In a similar vein, yellow jackets are important predators that can help control a lot of pests. One worker can have a big corn earworm chewed up and compacted into a little ball faster than I typed this. Fast food for the young wasp larvae!

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

A few years ago... my woman's brother-in-law and me was headed out to a creek to seign for some minners. We was in his old pickup truck... and was travelin' down a country road doin' a fairly decent clip. His truck didn't have an air conditioner... but we had the door windows was rolled up so's we could hear the radio. However, we did have them lil' bitty vent windows turned completely out so's they would blow air right in on us.

Whilst goin' down that road... a dam hornet hit one of them lil' vent windows... and bounced inside the cab. He was not a happy hornet... and started demonstratin' it to us.

Although we was goin' 'bout 30 miles an hour... we both jumped out onto the dirt road... and his truck crashed into a thicket of small cedars... mainly cause that hornet did not know how to drive.

I remember this as I jumped... I tried to stay upright by runnin'. My first step on the road was OK... but 'bout 45 feet later tryin' to make my second step... I somehow lost my balance. Clumsy me. Both the B-I-L and me ended up with huge strawberry road-rashes and a couple of hornet stings each. But believe you me... the hornet sting hurt a LOT worse than skint-up spots.

ts

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Yellowjackets are OK, but the thing that riles me about them is that when you run away from their nest, they won't leave you alone-- they keep chasing long after you've cried Uncle!

No doubt... them bugs live by the feud.

ts

I was with my father in Law driving out in the country with the windows rolled down in a Piano Moving truck. I saw a big swarm of bees 4-5 foot ball with thousands of bees flying across the road. I had my elbow out the window with my tee-shirt flapping in the breeze. I yanked my arm in the truck just as we drove through the swarm. Must have scooped up about 15 bees and they all started stinging me at the same time on the back of my armpit. I was screaming and yelling so loud, as my father in Law was laughing his A$$ off. When we got to the Lady who was getting the Organ we were delivering, she made up some baking soda and water and put it on the stings. Some stingers were still hanging in my skin and pumping....ouch! I think all the bees died after stinging me.

Jake

Archived