SASS Wire Forum

Black powder in 38"s

I want to load some 38’s with black powder, Goex load chart data lists the preferred granulation size of FFF. I have FF that I load in my shotgun shells. Is there any issues loading 38’s with the larger powder? Could it create more gunk from unburned powder and perhaps bind the cylinders?

Thank you,

JSS

FF works fine in 38s . Lube them well and binding will not be a problem with any caliber. Use a tight crimp on the case for complete burning.

Howdy

For a long time, the accepted demarcation between FFg and FFFg was 45 caliber. You could load 45s and 44s with either, FFg or FFFg. Anything bigger, used FFg, anything smaller used FFFg. Fact is, if you want you can use either granulation where ever you want. If all you have is FFg, use it. Even though I normally load 12 gauge with FFg, I am currently using up two cans of Goex FFFg in my shotgun shells because I got it for a good price.

Thank you for the help, I acquired some snakebite bullets lubed up for black powder and wanted to try making smoke with the pistols and rifle this year.

Having FFg for the shotgun already; I will use that for the 38’s also. I have used American Pioneer with smokeless bullets in my pistols before. Thought it might be fun trying the real stuff in all the guns at a match.

Regards,

JSS

Even though I normally load 12 gauge with FFg, I am currently using up two cans of Goex FFFg in my shotgun shells because I got it for a good price.

SACRILIGE! How DARE you! I'd trade you straight up for 2 cans of 2F... 3F goes in my .36cal pistols, 2F in anything over a caliber starting in "4"... But, I prefer "Cartridge"... and since I just scored 20 lbs of it... I'm happy (for awhile)!!! Although discontinued by Goex, "Cartridge" was a blend of 2F & 3F with some special coatings that made it better for cartridge use. At least that was their marketing, and while I can't say that it was true, I did find that it metered well and I had less dust in my machines when using it. Goex NEEDS to bring it back.

But, in answer to the OP, in cartridges it means little. 3F will give a bit more "snap" to your .38s, As it will in .45s! Go figure! Who'd a thunk it!

But, in answer to the OP, in cartridges it means little. 3F will give a bit more "snap" to your .38s, As it will in .45s! Go figure! Who'd a thunk it!

Howdy Again

When I was just starting out with Black Powder in cartridges I did a lot of reading. Mike Venturino stated that for any given caliber, well 45 Colt anyway, all other things being equal, changing from FFg to FFFg would boost velocity by about 60-100 fps. The smaller grains burn a bit faster.

Guest Cactus Cris SASS#2790

I think the only reason that 2f is not used more is that it tends to hang up in the loading funnel in a reloading press. If you are "dipping" your powder then It isn't an issue. I use 3f in everything inc. the shot gun. Keeps it simple. Will use 2f in 38/55 & 45/70.

I use FFg in 12-ga and .45s. I use FFFg is .38 and .32-20. I sue either in .38-40. The FFg leaves the chamber and cartridge slightly more sooty showing that the combustion is not as hot as FFFg. I suspect that the velocity is 50-100 fps lower, concurring with MV's commentus

You can get more FFFg than FFg in the case and it compacts better. Velocities are higher with FFFg and it burns cleaner than FFg of the same manufacturer.

...I am loading my .38s with Ffg, Schuetzen Black Powder... ...ain't had no issues other than my own head space and timin' <_<

...I am loading my .38s with Ffg, Schuetzen Black Powder... ...ain't had no issues other than my own head space and timin' <_<

:)

I want to load some 38’s with black powder, Goex load chart data lists the preferred granulation size of FFF. I have FF that I load in my shotgun shells. Is there any issues loading 38’s with the larger powder? Could it create more gunk from unburned powder and perhaps bind the cylinders?

Thank you,

JSS

I have never noticed a difference. Last year, I bought a bunch of Goex Cowboy when Graf & Sons was trying to get rid ot it. Cowboy BP was a mix of FF and FFF, if memory serves, and I use it in 38, 45, and shotgun.

I have us BP in cartridges only once years ago. I do use it for C&B .36 and .58 muzzleloader. I use FFF for both. Tried FF in .58 and found I had to use more of it to get same results and had more fouling in barrel quicker.

I much prefer FFFG to FFg for even .44s and .45s as it burns much cleaner in all instances ....

I even use 3f in my shotgun shells both 16 and 12ga. burns cleaner and gives more thump ........

And further if you screen powder from the 1880s you will find that the .45 Colt and .38-40 at least contained powder that closely matches our Modern FFFg and not our Modern FFg ...

And as a point of intrest old time ballistics can't be matched using FFg but can be matched with FFFg and the right powder Brand ....

Jabez Cowboy

I was taught years ago by an old experienced mountain man that the dividing line between ffg and fffg was .45 cal. If the caliber started with a 3 or less, you used fffg. If it started with a 5 or more, you used ffg. If it started with a 4, either was apprpriate. I've pretty much stayed with that line of thinking. My C&B revolvers, .38 specials, 44-40s, and 45-70s get fffg Grafs (or Scheutzen). My .54 cal Tryon Rifle and 12 ga get ffg. I've tried Cartridge and Cowboy and saw no appreciable improvement in performance that would justify the increased cost (some would say I'm cheap; but I prefer frugal).

I've found that the fffg Grafs shoots much cleaner than any of the Goex granulations. My C&Bs and conversions can go a whole 3 day match without binding up.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

..... (some would say I'm cheap; but I prefer frugal).

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Frugal is good, I like frugal... maybe it's my Scottish blood.

Snakebite

Frugal is good, I like frugal... maybe it's my Scottish blood.

Snakebite

I believe that's where mine came from

Fingers (Clan Wallace) McGee

3f in my cap n ball; 3f in my 38 Specials; 2f in my 20 gauge - but switching to 3f when its all used up. Like others have said, 3f seems to be cleaner. Goex for me, as that's what I can get locally.

I use 2F in everything, .38, 44-40, and .45. If you happen to find a paticular powder that seems cleaner or gives better performance in your guns, go for it. BP is often about trying things..... I like the Schuetzen as it seems a little cleaner and the remaing Goex Cowboy is getting used up for shotgun. Much of the non-cowboy BP wisdom is not applicable to us as it is for farther distances and requires much more accuracy.

Is there any issues loading 38’s with the larger powder? Could it create more gunk from unburned powder and perhaps bind the cylinders?

JS ... the Goex Loading Data is not a Hodgdon product. The data comes from TESTED loading recipes that were prepared by Curtis's & Harvey - the best BP ever made before they went out of business in Ardeer, Scotland. Hodgdon got the data from C&H when they were selling their powder back in the early 1970's.

Use the data on the table of FFFg for your 38's. PS: a FFFg grade of black powder has smaller grains. The 'F's go in reverse ... Fg grains are larger grains

re: Creating gunk and binding ... I have yet to find unburned grains of BP in the all the grades of powder. BP foul is primarily potassium bicarbonate not unburned grains of BP with minute micron size pieces of unburned charcoal. The better the powder - the less unburned charcoal

Binding of cylinders is a factor of lube used. The better the formulation of a lube used, the less binding

Cowboy BP was a mix of FF and FFF, if memory serves,

Mean Matt - close but no cigar ...

FFg and FFFg are different grades of powder using a general standard of different grain sizes that are retained or pass through certified laboratory sieve screens to produce a given burn rate for that grade of powder. Goex concocted "Cowboy" to produced a burn rate for 'Cowboys'. The sieve ratios of grains sizes for Goex Cowboy is:

20 mesh screen - 32.9% retained

30 mesh screen - 64.9% retained

Through - 2.2%

Here are the sieve ratios for Goex FFg and FFFg:

Goex 2Fg, 99NO03B

20 mesh - 79.2% retained

30 mesh - 20.8% retained

Goex 3Fg, 99JY20C

70.8% retained on a 30 mesh.

26.2% retained on a 40 mesh.

3.0% thru 40 mesh

Archived