SASS Wire Forum

SASS Vaqueros

Noah Cash

I am going to look at a pair of used SASS Vaqueros tonight, I can get them fer 1,000.00 at least that is the offer at the moment. If I dont find anything such as buggered up screws indicating pee poor work from a non-gunsmith or any of the normal revolver issues, and the Ser no's still match, what do ya'll think of the value? Is 1K a good deal? I see that they have an MSRP of about 1,600. This pair is in .45 which is what I shoot. "preciate the advise!

If they are in good shape that'd be a pretty fair price. I have a pair of them in .38 and if I were to sell them I'd ask a little more than that.

If they are consecutive serial numbers that is a good price .

If they are just a pair none consecutive numbers you should get them 900.00 or less.

I would dare say 800.00 for none consecutive .

Good luck . B)

My understanding with consecutive serial numbers is that they don't mean anything for Ruger. They don't charge more and they don't mean they are built back-to-back, so why would they be worth any more now? That said, $500 each appears to be the going rate.

You might be able to find some used New Vaqueros for sale at that price, or even less, but you need to compare features to determine whether that particular set is a good deal for you.

Keep in mind that the SASS Edition revolvers come with the Montado hammers. If you like a low hammer that's a good thing and it saves you the cost of replacing the stock New Vaquero hammers.

The rear sight notch is a little wider on the SASS Edition guns although that is not a particularly pricey upgrade to a stock gun.

You are limited to one finish (bright stainless) and a single barrel length in the SASS Edition guns. If Ruger's choice is your preference anyway, you are in good shape.

The price isn't too bad, but not a gonga either. SASS revolvers come in pairs, consecutive serial numbers. Do the ones you're looking at come with all the paperwork and box (one box for the two revolvers). Gunbroker, #294625857, has a pair of NIB SASS .45s for $1098 plus $30 shipping (you'd usually have a small fee on your end for FFL paperwork).

So, if the pair that you're looking at are clean and smooth you'd save a little money on the used ones. For a little extra you can buy new.

You could point out the Gunbroker ad and possible get the used ones for a little less than they're currently asking.

Good luck,

Barry Sloe

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

Howdy, what caliber are they, barrel lenghts blue or nickle, any new springs? check out gun broker.com and search the pistol listings. I like to buy cheap have them engraved and then sell to the highest bidder all of my colts and vaqurros are engraved so my guns would start off at 1000ea, the engraved colts in 22 fully engraved around 700 my 45 long colt 5 1/2 barrel engraved by my friend Howard Barnett in Leon WV, Jim downing dod the 44-40 and 44mag bisley. What I'm saying is check out other gun sites for prices. First what caliber have you deceided on, what barrel lenghtn blue or nickle, Uberti makes a good gun, so does pietta, are you going to shoot stock grips or are you putting something in polymar ivory, stag,real ivory, giraffe ivory thats another issue. Ask all the questions you want.

Good luck sorry if I dazeled you

ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

If they are consecutive serial numbers that is a good price .

If they are just a pair none consecutive numbers you should get them 900.00 or less.

I would dare say 800.00 for none consecutive .

Good luck . B)

I was not aware that the serial numbers effected their ability to hit targets so much. Why would serial numbers matter to someone just wanting shooters? Why would serial numbers effect value unless one was buying guns to collect?

I was not aware that the serial numbers effected their ability to hit targets so much. Why would serial numbers matter to someone just wanting shooters? Why would serial numbers effect value unless one was buying guns to collect?

That is correct. Ruger does not build revolvers like some of the companies used to in the old days, where one craftsman assembled and hand fitted the parts to about ten or twenty revolvers in one lot. Consecutive SNs in a Ruger are a nice marketing ploy, but it really means nothing as far as who put the guns together or how much care went into doing it. Personally, if I were looking for a pair of SASS Vaqueros, and I can't imagine why I would, I would not pay a premium because they had consecutive serial numbers.

Apparantly some of the posters here are not aware of how SASS Vaqueros are sold. New, you can ONLY buy them in pairs and they are consecutive serial numbers. If the numbers are not consecutive, then they have come from broken sets and were definitely bought used.

AS stated, they have Montado hammers and the wide rear sight groves, and have 17 lb. hammer springs from the factory.

In excellent condition, a set of SASS Rugers is well worth $1000. Considering sales tax and all, you would be very hard pressed to buy them anywhere for less than $1200, if you could even do that well.

If the seller is wise to their value, he probably won't budge off that $1000,

and he shouldn't.

Try buying a single SS Ruger Vaquero for less than $600. Lotsa luck!!

RBK

I was lucky enough to see a set of SASS .357 Vaqueros up for sale in January. The gentleman was asking either $1,250.00 or a trade for a S&W M625. I had a 625 :):):):):) While I really do miss the 625, I know I'll get more use out of the Vaqueros. As now I only have to load 1 caliber for my wife and myself.

Just looked up my cost for these. About as close to wholesale as you're gonna get. Pretty good price if they are pristine.

TT

Apparantly some of the posters here are not aware of how SASS Vaqueros are sold. New, you can ONLY buy them in pairs and they are consecutive serial numbers. If the numbers are not consecutive, then they have come from broken sets and were definitely bought used.

AS stated, they have Montado hammers and the wide rear sight groves, and have 17 lb. hammer springs from the factory.

In excellent condition, a set of SASS Rugers is well worth $1000. Considering sales tax and all, you would be very hard pressed to buy them anywhere for less than $1200, if you could even do that well.

If the seller is wise to their value, he probably won't budge off that $1000,

and he shouldn't.

RBK

Really???

I sell new Ruger Vaqueros for less then $600.

$500 each is a fair price...

:FlagAm:

Saw a set if 45 SASS Vaquero's at local Gander Mountain NIB for $999. One would have to pay sales tax but no FFL fee or shipping. Great guns and great price if ya ask me.

Really???

I sell new Ruger Vaqueros for less then $600.

$500 each is a fair price...

:FlagAm:

But is that fer a sass vaq??......that there is what we are talkin about...

curley

Also action work can add to the price IMO. You said there was no "pee poor" gunsmithing done but is there any done. Action work can cost little to 200 per gun (obviously they aren't worked on too much or you probably would have mentioned that) but even if they are polished and have lightened springs that has value you should consider.

Well I went out and looked at the pair, and they were a matched set, ser no's matched, and everything there, even down to the yellow plastic rings inside the cyls to stop them from being loaded at the stores and the two plastic bags wrapping them up. A real complete package. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: They were fired but cleaned and oiled, no buggered up screws so it appears that they have never been opened up, no mods at all, according to the seller. He did not really know what he had and was not a SASS Shooter although he did a little "Cowboy shooting" as he called it. Did not know that the only way to get SASS revolvers was as a matched set. The Sass Cowboy medallion on the grips was not even scratched or hazey from handeling. It was stillhighly polished and looks new. I would guess no more that a few boxes of ammo through them if that He also provided me with a box of Blaser JHP ammo with the gun, I know not SASS legal but what the heck, Ammo is ammo.

All in all, a good deal for the $1,000 I think. Been shooting .45 NMV's, now they can be the back-ups and I'm still waiting for the SBH Hammers that are on order. I'm happy with it.

Thanks for the advise and tips guys! Got to go now headed for the range, imagine that :lol: :lol:

But is that fer a sass vaq??......that there is what we are talkin about...

curley

Oh really...here is what the poster said...and what I responded to:

Now notice that he said "Single"...that excludes the SASS model as they come in PAIRS.

Then notice that he said "SS"...not SASS. SS as I'm sure you know usually referes to Stainless Steel.

So nice try...

:wacko:

Howdy,

The one minus to sass vaqueros is that the sass logos on the grips

can become worn, loose or damaged easily.

You might consider getting different grips and tuck the stock

ones away to keep them looking good.

A nice set of back and grey buffalo horn grips really sets off

a stainless ruger.

Best

CR

Thanks for the advise and tips guys! Got to go now headed for the range, imagine that :lol: :lol:

Great Buy! You'll love em!

Oh really...here is what the poster said...and what I responded to:

Now notice that he said "Single"...that excludes the SASS model as they come in PAIRS.

Then notice that he said "SS"...not SASS. SS as I'm sure you know usually referes to Stainless Steel.

So nice try...

:wacko:

Well gosh, I guess I will have to give ya that one..

curley

Archived