SASS Wire Forum

Posts and "there" spelling!

paisano

The dumbing down of America continues apace. We should not give in to it or contribute to it inasmuch as we are indiviually capable.

We are all human (except the few borg amongst us) and as such we have human responses. When we read a pard's posts we develop in our mind's eye a persona of him/her. Then later on if we meet them we are invariably amazed that the imaginary "person" we have created is nothing like the real life person.

The same thing happens when we read a fiction story. Our brain creates a picture and then later when they make a movie we might say to ourselves say what did they not even read the book for this is surely not how I pictured it.

An internet forum is a very difficult medium to communicate in. We cannot see voice inflection or facial expression. Some of us are better at it than others. I admit that I am lousy at it. I just seem to have a knack for getting some riled up and others (at least two for sure but I hope not much more than a few) to just flat out plain despise me even tho they have never met me and thus don't know the real me.

In real life I am a fun-lovin' never too serious cut-up and we always have a good time on my posse. Here somehow I come across to some as just an easily dismissed pedantic idjit. Oh well. I have a thick hide and no feelings to get hurt. I learned a long time ago that in my business feeling are a detriment and impediment.

We should all be more easy going and less quick to take umbrage and offense. The way you perceive the pard expressing him/herself just may not be the way it was intended. Lighten up. I think we are all here for the same reasons. To commune with other like minded folks and share our love of this nation, our great CAS game and have fun with our pards when we can't be shooting.

This place should be more like when we are at a shoot, benefit of the doubt goes to the shooter.

Next shooter.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spelling, punctuation and the like really tank when you start texting on your phone. :unsure:

Before internet, the "Wire" and chat groups, very few people actually commmunicated by typing or writing. Thus spelling wasn't needed. I suspect spelling and writing by folks has generally improved post internet compaired to pre internet.

Few people have the right stuff to go pull down a dictionary to look up words for a three sentence reply back to another poster.

My evil twin sometimes makes me push the wrong keys and causes misspelled words. :lol:

As others have stated, the people that can spell are lacking in other skills.

I kin speel farely gud, but am sadly sorely lacking in other skills, social and otherwise.

Chief regret amonst them is my shooting skills keep eroding with age durn it. I used to be faster and better and could even shoot duelist and hang with some of the local hot shoes. Now I am having a good day if I stay above not below middle of the pack whilst grasping me pistols in a 2 hand grip. Sigh.

Oh well, long as I kin make out to the shoot and participate and more importantly hang out with my pards. It's still all good. A bad day shootin' beats a good day workin' anyday.

Just thought I'd stir the pot a little. I read a lot of posts on here daily and wondered if most of the "pore" spelling is due to folks trying to be "Old West" or just..............?

I can't tell you how many 12 "gage" shotguns are on here for "sell" or "my holsters,'their' dark brown" types of postings I read.

What are "yur" thoughts on the matter?

Thanks,

Paisano Paul

My thoughts on the matter : Most old west "anyone" could not read or write for that matter !

But if I can't speak or spell correctly, how can I expect all the illegal immigrants to understand what I am trying to tell them.......... :blink:

There, - I'm going there tomorrow. Put the pencil down there.

They're - They're going over there.

Their - Bad or poor spelling is their choice.

To - I'm going to a match.

Too - Are you going too?

Two - Then the two of us are going.

Are - Is often used today in place of our. Our kids are flunking spelling.

Just thought I'd stir the pot a little. I read a lot of posts on here daily and wondered if most of the "pore" spelling is due to folks trying to be "Old West" or just..............?

I can't tell you how many 12 "gage" shotguns are on here for "sell" or "my holsters,'their' dark brown" types of postings I read.

Thanks,

Paisano Paul

I'll be siding with the larger posse on this one!

I do know how to tell time with an analog clock :wacko:

and I know how to give change the old fashion way! :rolleyes:

It's a give and take thing I guess.

Happy trails

QDG/Mike

Two points I'd like to make.

1) I use a phone to make most of my posts. The little touch screen can be very unforgiving! Lots of little mistakes can happen.

2) When somebody adds a post on the wire and they have a typo, please don't add a post making fun of there spelling or intelligence. I think it's mighty rude and a mean thing to do! That last thing a person with dyslexia or whatever needs is to be publicly humiliated.

Happy trails!

Ringer

Col Riddles, You left out one of the most common errors:

Your: Is that your gun?

You're: You're going to get into trouble.

Also, many people say "on accident" when the correct expression is "by accident."

It's a result of the widespread use of text messaging where shorthand is the norm. I also believe that many of the high school English teachers are deficient in the subject they are teaching. I used to read resumes submitted by college graduates that were riddled with either grammatical or spelling errors (or both).

In a forum like this one, most people overlook grammatical or spelling errors because they are concentrating on the subject matter being discussed and the language is more conversational. However, I hope these errors don't find their way into more formal types of communication.

Happy trails, Squint

FYI, Pards,

"Tonite" was one of a number of attempts by Chicago Tribune publisher Col. Robert McCormick to shorten the words so they fit on a typical newspaper column without hyphenating. I can't recall the rest of them, but there were a number. Some caught on; most didn't. The compact communicators available to many people (not me, however) make it difficult or at least inconvenient to type a bunch of words when an abbreviation will do. (See the beginning of this post! :) )

I have resorted to "cowboy speak" on occasion. More often I have on occasion resorted to the rather formal speech patterns utilized by people, especially the military in official communications. For example: "Sir, I have the honor to reply to yours of the 6th Ultimo (meaning this month)..." This in order to stay in character as an Army officer of the late 19th Century.

Interestingly, I have noted in letters written by Western artist, Charles M. Russell, that some contained grammer and spelling that was distinctly "cowboy". Others show correct grammer, spelling, and possibly punctuation. Russell spent his early years in the home of his parents, who were educated, and sent him to schools in St. Louis. (Russell was of the Russell, Majors & Waddell, who were engaged in the transportation business!) Even though Charlie was a bit of a wild kid, and didn't pay much attention to school, some of it must have rubbed off before he was "sent west to get it our of his system"...and wound up "Kid Russell" the cowboy artist we know and love. Laziness on his part? Ummm, I doubt it, though possible. IMHO (there you go, again!), he was trying to stay in character with his compadres.

Ride easy, but stay alert! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,

Col Riddles, You left out one of the most common errors:

Your: Is that your gun?

You're: You're going to get into trouble.

Also, many people say "on accident" when the correct expression is "by accident."

I don't think "on accident" is any more or less correct than "by accident". I view them both as idiomatic expressions of the more proper "accidentally"- not that I am a linguist or even an English major.

I also believe that many of the high school English teachers are deficient in the subject they are teaching. I used to read resumes submitted by college graduates that were riddled with either grammatical or spelling errors (or both).

I once submitted an essay with one particular sentence written in subjunctive mood, as it very clearly should have been. My COLLEGE English professor corrected it by lining through it, and rewriting it in indicative mood past tense. <_<

In a forum like this one, most people overlook grammatical or spelling errors because they are concentrating on the subject matter being discussed and the language is more conversational. However, I hope these errors don't find their way into more formal types of communication.

Happy trails, Squint

I do find spelling and grammatical errors to be much more irritating in news articles, textbooks or technical writings, for instance, than in casual communications. One would expect professional writers to know how to, you know, write.

Guest Texas Bounty Hunter

My thoughts on this is if you need to correct someones spelling...

get out your red pen and make the corrections on your own screen :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

After deciding to exercise his Lodge Member Rights, the right-handed Ship-Wright had to write down directions to the Lodge were Rites were being administered. Was he right in doing so?

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.

Did you get Cheyane Culpepper to write this for you? :blink:

I am not a great speller but try to get it right. If I can understand what is meant I am fine, but spelling as above really is a problem for me. :huh:

Ah liks teacers jest fine ,,,,,,,,,,, specially thems that's Young, Blonde an built ...

Specailly if'n they's gots long hair ..... She wouldn't cause me no never-mind bout spelllin

Jabez Cowboy

Thanks,

Paisano Paul

Sometimes the misuse of "there" and "their," as well as other grammatical errors, bugs me. I realize, of course, that some "errors" are deliberate, some careless, and some are due to ignorance. But as Texas Jim Henry said, I don't try to hold others to the standards that I set for myself. We aren't in school, and most posters manage to communicate ~ all else is vanity. Nor is my grammar perfect ~ I only think that it is!

eGG

It is the teachers fault.

?????

As one who spends a chunk of her time teaching children to read.... and to spell....

It's the teacher's fault???

Well, I am a retired teacher, and I don't get a lot of heartburn over spelling errors made by adults. Some of the worst spellers are often well educated individuals. Spelling has nothing to do with a persons level of education or intelligence. However, I find "cowboy talk" to be stupid and irritating! :lol:

Well, I take responsibility for my errors, grammatical and spelling, but I do use spell check.:) I can think of one teacher who is probably rolling over in her grave because of the errors in spelling and grammar on the internet. A real stickler, but I remember her from 4th grade...

?????

As one who spends a chunk of her time teaching children to read.... and to spell....

Don't worry about him Lady. TJB is his name and pot stirring is his game.

BTW, everyone knows you can "lead a horse to water; but, you can't make it drink."

:wub:

Allie Mo

?????

actually if the parents were more involved with thier kids.....no, it's not the teachers fault.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I have a Pard on the wire who corrects my spelling .

It has helped me to spell better.( just saying )

It really dont mater as long as you git the point.

Festus once said.

If I am reading the righting.

How do I no if the feller who wrote the reading,

That I am reading,

Wrote the reading right. :wacko:

Heee Haaa .. I doesn't under stand ifin you's can't read whot I wrot on this hear wire than just maybe ya'all shold goes back ta skool and gets ya sum moor edgemacation.. cuss I gots me 1 moor year in the fith grade than Mr shyannn Cowpecker..

Heeee Haaaa crazy Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

I wonder how many would be so willing to do their correcting face to face. Few I'd think. Who knows, they might encounter Yosemite Sam in person. Yep, keyboard courage runs rampant sometimes.

Dern street raught thar! :P

Heee Haaa .. I doesn't under stand ifin you's can't read whot I wrot on this hear wire than just maybe ya'all shold goes back ta skool and gets ya sum moor edgemacation.. cuss I gots me 1 moor year in the fith grade than Mr shyannn Cowpecker..

Heeee Haaaa crazy Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

U dun gone ann left the arrah out of edge-r-macation.

actually if the parents were more involved with thier kids.....no, it's not the teachers fault.

Oh don't get me started...

?????

Depends on the teacher ma'am. I was attending an ivy-ish league school system learning latin and higher education until my fathers job ended at NORAD.

The week later we ended up in a white trash neighborhood (Thornton Colo) and attending a school system where most of the teachers were hippies (The 70's ick!)

Well...... my classmates were all hippies too and all but a few ended up serving years of incarceration for felonious crimes.. So my english teacher (Long hair Hippie, liberal, tie die, earth shoe wearing pot smoker) teacher despised me and my crew cut and the MIC my father represented, white button up shirt and polished shoes, and I him. We just glared at each other for the longest time until graduation. I found his conduct and presence unbecoming.

I so missed my former teachers, business suit, clean cut, moral, strict, science clubs, academic.

I call blame on the school also. Example. It shows in all my writing.

I do strive to align myself with the smartest people on the planet while pursuing new venues and ventures to augment schooling that I have missed........

Depends on the teacher ma'am. I was attending an ivy-ish league school system learning latin and higher education until my fathers job ended at NORAD.

The week later we ended up in a white trash neighborhood (Thornton Colo) and attending a school system where most of the teachers were hippies (The 70's ick!)

Well...... my classmates were all hippies too and all but a few ended up serving years of incarceration for felonious crimes.. So my english teacher (Long hair Hippie, liberal, tie die, earth shoe wearing pot smoker) teacher despised me and my crew cut and the MIC my father represented, white button up shirt and polished shoes, and I him. We just glared at each other for the longest time until graduation. I found his conduct and presence unbecoming.

I so missed my former teachers, business suit, clean cut, moral, strict, science clubs, academic.

I call blame on the school also. Example. It shows in all my writing.

I do strive to align myself with the smartest people on the planet while pursuing new venues and ventures to augment schooling that I have missed........

For a minute there, I thought you were reallllly going to lose control and say it like it is. I am glad you toned it down a notch. :)

Good job!! :lol:

As you mentioned, it depends on the teacher. There are some good ones, and there are some real lousy ones. I wouldn't want their job. Too many parents breed and pass on some really poor gene pool stock for the poor educational system to deal with. :wub:

Archived