SASS Wire Forum

Posts and "there" spelling!

paisano

I make an effort to make my posts readable and grammatically correct. That said, I realized a long time ago that standards that I set for myself are not necessarily shared by others. So be it.

Not something I'm going to lose any sleep over.

Regards, TJH

+1

An occasional lapse into the "cowboy" talk for emphasis.

This is kinda' my thinkin' to/too/two... Yep.. I can spell..and I try to watch it.. maybe a little..

but.. I like to use a little ol' west cowboy flair or flare (whichever is correct) once in a while..

Don't care fer the threads where I gotta readem' 2 or 3 times to figure out what they said..

Rance <_<

Just me :blush:

Edit.. much be a touchy subject.. thread just started about 12:30 pm my time and it's on page 2 already :lol:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What if we are.

You going to look down your nose at us???

Can we not come on here and enjoy the wire also???

Or could be that our education is just in other areas. <_<

I will look down my nose at no one due to their education. I myself, effectively "quit" school in the 6th grade. I don't have one high school credit. I do have a college degree. Uneducated does not mean stoopid.

I merely stated that poor spelling, along with poor grammar, makes one seem uneducated. This does not have to be a life-long malady.

Fillmore

Nope. Just that we got a few other spelling nazi on here already.

Guess we got another.

Geezzzz, Al......he just asked a simple question.....LOL.

I will look down my nose at no one due to their education. I myself, effectively "quit" school in the 6th grade. I don't have one high school credit. I do have a college degree. Uneducated does not mean stoopid.

I merely stated that poor spelling, along with poor grammar, makes one seem uneducated. This does not have to be a life-long malady.

Fillmore

I have no problem at all with folks who misspell a word or two or use the wrong spelling of a word we all do that. I do have a problem with those who intentionally misspell words trying to sound like what they think a 19th century cowboy sounded like. It just makes your posts very difficult to read and comprehend.

I always type everything in Micro Soft Word and then cut and paste because my spelling has gotten so bad. Good sister Bernadette would beat me to a pulp if she saw how badly I spell today.

<snip>I do have a problem with those who intentionally misspell words trying to sound like what they think a 19th century cowboy sounded like. It just makes your posts very difficult to read and comprehend.

Ifn' I offended ya HTH.. I apologize.. :blush: Don't mean to.. or is that too.. or two.. Whatever.. :wacko:

Rance <_<

Just me.. :)

I have no problem at all with folks who misspell a word or two or use the wrong spelling of a word we all do that. I do have a problem with those who intentionally misspell words trying to sound like what they think a 19th century cowboy sounded like. It just makes your posts very difficult to read and comprehend.

I always type everything in Micro Soft Word and then cut and paste because my spelling has gotten so bad. Good sister Bernadette would beat me to a pulp if she saw how badly I spell today.

Hi HTH,

Amen! We agree again. ;) I don't even read those. I am not amused by them. Like many others, I just ignore most misspellings.

BTW, I have a spell check button on my Google toolbar. Now, if I'd remember to use it... :rolleyes:

Regards,

Allie Mo

Ifn' I offended ya HTH.. I apologize.. :blush: Don't mean to.. or is that too.. or two.. Whatever.. :wacko:

Rance <_<

Just me.. :)

You don’t offend me but your posts are at times very hard to read and like Allie I pass them by and am probably missing some good comments

BTW, I have a spell check button on my Google toolbar. Now, if I'd remember to use it... :rolleyes:

Regards,

Allie Mo

I had one of them. But hit the wrong button one day and it went away. Don't know how to get it back. :huh:

As long as they get their point across, I could care less about spelling.

Count me in too.

+1 :wacko:

Oh no HTH,

I hang on every word Rance writes ;) Anyway, he isn't one of the people I have on "ignore."

Regards,

AM

Thanks Allie Mo (no E)..

Didn't think I was that eleterate.. iliteraate.. illiteret.. never mind..

Didn't think I was that dumb :blush:

Rance <_<

Better think about this some more... I guess :)

My spell check doesn't work either :wacko:

OP, you didn't know Zeb, did you?

He would have had a "Hay Day" with your post.

Here's to ya' Zeb!!! Bottles a round for everybody. Oh, wait, are we in the Saloon (ACS)?

WR

Like Wrangler, I talk on dis har wire dis way in memory of Zeb. Dang he would have me crakin up nite after nite a readin his posts. Now what I gotta be careful aboot is lettin it spill over ta my job.

CPK

Doesn't bother me a bit ...kinda adds to the 'fun' and character of SASS - no big deal....

GG ~ :FlagAm:

You should try and spell some of the things I say when I drop a steel target on my foot!

I dont consider myself a spelling Nazi, because I will not correct anyones spelling or grammatical mistakes, but yes, sometimes it bothers me as well. To each his own, but I try my best to make sure everything I write is as correct as can be. I may not talk that way, but I do try to type/spell that way. Not everyone cares that much and that is their freedom. Reading has always been a favorite pastime of mine, so I guess spelling just fell into place. My family gives me a hard time about text messages because I will delete most of a text to go back and correct a word.

But....I wont correct anyone...except my kids.

Just thought I'd stir the pot a little. I read a lot of posts on here daily and wondered if most of the "pore" spelling is due to folks trying to be "Old West" or just..............?

I can't tell you how many 12 "gage" shotguns are on here for "sell" or "my holsters,'their' dark brown" types of postings I read.

What are "yur" thoughts on the matter?

Thanks,

Paisano Paul

See - you stir the pot and some real nasty floaters surface . . .

Since my name has come up, let me ONE more time try to explain myself. I do not cair one whit about speeling. Everyone tinks I do and I have that reputation but it is a false perception. What I have is an OCD-like compulsion which I do not know the clinical name for but I call correctivitis. Usually I have it under control but sometimes the compulsion overcomes me and I live to regret it.

Like last night I just couldn't hold it in check. Our friend Fantum was going on about how "consistancy might not be the right word...". He has been misspelling that word forever. No big deal consistant, consistent, toMAYto, toMAHto. BUT, the opening was too irresistible. So I chimed in and soon lived to regret it. I thot (see some think thot is unacceptable and thought must always be used) it was funny because of the context of the phrase he used the word in. But I guess I was alone with that thot. Oh well, live and learn.

When I first came on the Wire I thot there was some kind of inside joke (kind of like "a hand or twa") because almost everyone (at least 75%) were using "loose" for "lose". Nope. They actually thot loose was correct. It is spreading like wildfire. You even see it in major publications now. The word lose is doomed.

As is you're and they're and their. Your and there are supplanting them for all usages. And that is a shame. Close to inexcusable. They're and you're are harder to type but their is not. If they're and you're are too much for ya, you should just go ahead and type out the two words you are and they are. Using your and there for everything just ain't right. Makes the reader go "huh" and have to go back and read it again. It is unfair to the reader. If you are going to type something in an effort to communicate you owe it to the reader to be as clear as possible.

For, you see, communication is the important thing not spelling. This requires, underline requires, proper word usage. Speeling not so much. Purposely misspelled words that are imaginative and communicate well can even be fun and delightful and therefore even encouraged. Barl for barrel is a hoot. Grove for groove in the barrel or barl, not so much. It is un-communicative and makes the reader go "huh, does he have a grove of peach trees in that thar barl or whut?"

So we should all spell as well as we kin but no-one should be a nazi (and I'm with UB, that word should be reserved but it ain't) but it would behoove us all to make an effort to communicate well and that requires correct word usage. Spell check is not gonna help with that. It is not human. It doesn't know that your and there are the wrong words inserted in the wrong place, only that they are speeled correctly according to the parameters placed in the database. It cannot think.

English is an evolving language, just look at Colonial writings or Chaucer but some places it is going are just wrong. We should strive to fight those trends.

And I reserve the Nazi sobriquet for much more serious occasions.

Much more serious. <_<

I like reading through the posts around here....seem to learn a new word weekly. I learned 2 new words today.

sobriquet.....haven't heard that word before. I Googled it...you can find it here.

histrionics...that word was over in the Saloon on the "what do you think shoulda happened" thread...you can find it here.

I consider myself somewhat edukamated too...had 18 years of schooling....of course that 7 year run in the 5th grade was a little longer than normal :)

Just had to bring into the fight, didn't you! :lol:

Each of us have things we are really good at and by the same token each of us have things at which we're not so good. Personally, I don't have any difficulty telling when someone is intentionally misspelling words to add Western flavor, or for that matter any flavor, from someone who doesn't have spelling in their asset column.

I've been a people observer all my life and am of the firm opinion that anyone who tries to link a person's inability to spell with lack of intelligence...is a fool.

For the benefit of anyone who cares: Google Chrome has spell checker built into it. You can download it here. I recommend that you DO NOT install the toolbar.

Since my name has come up, let me ONE more time try to explain myself. I do not cair one whit about speeling. Everyone tinks I do and I have that reputation but it is a false perception. What I have is an OCD-like compulsion which I do not know the clinical name for but I call correctivitis. Usually I have it under control but sometimes the compulsion overcomes me and I live to regret it.

Like last night I just couldn't hold it in check. Our friend Fantum was going on about how "consistancy might not be the right word...". He has been misspelling that word forever. No big deal consistant, consistent, toMAYto, toMAHto. BUT, the opening was too irresistible. So I chimed in and soon lived to regret it. I thot (see some think thot is unacceptable and thought must always be used) it was funny because of the context of the phrase he used the word in. But I guess I was alone with that thot. Oh well, live and learn.

When I first came on the Wire I thot there was some kind of inside joke (kind of like "a hand or twa") because almost everyone (at least 75%) were using "loose" for "lose". Nope. They actually thot loose was correct. It is spreading like wildfire. You even see it in major publications now. The word lose is doomed.

As is you're and they're and their. Your and there are supplanting them for all usages. And that is a shame. Close to inexcusable. They're and you're are harder to type but their is not. If they're and you're are too much for ya, you should just go ahead and type out the two words you are and they are. Using your and there for everything just ain't right. Makes the reader go "huh" and have to go back and read it again. It is unfair to the reader. If you are going to type something in an effort to communicate you owe it to the reader to be as clear as possible.

For, you see, communication is the important thing not spelling. This requires, underline requires, proper word usage. Speeling not so much. Purposely misspelled words that are imaginative and communicate well can even be fun and delightful and therefore even encouraged. Barl for barrel is a hoot. Grove for groove in the barrel or barl, not so much. It is un-communicative and makes the reader go "huh, does he have a grove of peach trees in that thar barl or whut?"

So we should all spell as well as we kin but no-one should be a nazi (and I'm with UB, that word should be reserved but it ain't) but it would behoove us all to make an effort to communicate well and that requires correct word usage. Spell check is not gonna help with that. It is not human. It doesn't know that your and there are the wrong words inserted in the wrong place, only that they are speeled correctly according to the parameters placed in the database. It cannot think.

English is an evolving language, just look at Colonial writings or Chaucer but some places it is going are just wrong. We should strive to fight those trends.

Whack, whack, whack across the knuckles. Just don't do it anymore. Maybe you need the 12 step recovery process.

For whatever value my opinion may hold:

I find misspellings and misused words distracting, but so long as I understand what is intended to be conveyed, I make no issue of it. That, to me, is the whole point behind proper spelling, grammar and word usage: to facilitate communication through the use of a common language. If two parties are spelling or defining words differently, some of the message may become distorted.

I also have no issue with a little "cowboy" lingo, or any other slang for that matter, so long as, again, I can decipher the content. There are occasional posts which I skip because I simply cannot decipher the Authentic Frontier Gibberish.

One thing I have long wondered, though. Those who are dismissive of or even defensive toward people who prefer proper grammar, spelling and word use; what is your attitude when encountering an urban youth, for example, who uses a completely different system of slang?

EDIT One thing that does drive me INSANE is people who write lengthy replies with no punctuation whatsoever. :angry:

Maybe like we should talk like this. I've seen it like when watching TV with the closed captioning on. Then this guy goes "shut up" and she goes "NO" and then he goes like "I don't want to hear it" then She goes like.....you get the idea, like don't you?

I'm like "What the heck did these kids do in English class?" I see it on Facebook too. I hate to dumb down and just let it go.

Big Jake

Archived