SASS Wire Forum

Curious about those political correct people

Been thinking lately, about those people, businesses, politicians that use the greeting Happy Holidays, instead of Merry Christmas. What Holiday are they celebrating or giving greetings to? If they don't believe in Christmas, why do they take vacations, buy gifts, shut down, etc.? For hundreds of years we celebrated and passed along cheers and greetings, and now its wrong.

If stores that sell Christmas trees, ornaments, gifts and toys, won't acknowledge Christmas, but rather a Holiday (again, what are they celebrating), why do we support them with our cash?

Again, what Holiday is it that they are stocking their shelves, having Black Friday sales for?

Merry Christmas is what me and BlueJeans will be celebrating this month, for those Happy Holiday people,I hope they find something to be Happy about, and thankfull for. MT

Merry Christmas to all

MERRY CHRISTMAS

I find it a bit funny and a bit sad, that when I am in a store and a young person is assisting me (?) and I wish them a Merry Christmas, they usually get a funny look on there face and most do not know what to reply, and follow store policy and say Happy Holidays, others just smile a weak smile, and some just look like the deer in the head lights. Some will light up and return the greeting.

Interesting stuff from Wikipedia:

The earliest evidence of the celebration on December 25 of a Christian liturgical feast of the birth of Jesus is from the Chronography of 354 AD. This was in Rome, while in Eastern Christianity the birth of Jesus was already celebrated in connection with the Epiphany on January 6.[81][82] The December 25 celebration was imported into the East later: in Antioch by John Chrysostom towards the end of the 4th century,[82] probably in 388, and in Alexandria only in the following century.[83] Even in the West, the January 6 celebration of the nativity of Jesus seems to have continued until after 380.[84]

Many popular customs associated with Christmas developed independently of the commemoration of Jesus' birth, with certain elements having origins in pre-Christian festivals that were celebrated around the winter solstice by pagan populations who were later converted to Christianity. These elements, including the Yule log from Yule and gift giving from Saturnalia,[69] became syncretized into Christmas over the centuries. The prevailing atmosphere of Christmas has also continually evolved since the holiday's inception, ranging from a sometimes raucous, drunken, carnival-like state in the Middle Ages,[85] to a tamer family-oriented and children-centered theme introduced in a 19th-century reformation.[86][87] Additionally, the celebration of Christmas was banned on more than one occasion within Protestant Christendom due to concerns that it was too pagan or unbiblical.[88][89]

Isaac Newton argued that the date of Christmas was selected to correspond with the winter solstice,[17] which the Romans called bruma and celebrated on December 25.[31] In 1743, German Protestant Paul Ernst Jablonski argued Christmas was placed on December 25 to correspond with the Roman solar holiday Dies Natalis Solis Invicti and was therefore a "paganization" that debased the true church.[18] In 1889, Louis Duchesne proposed that the date of Christmas was calculated as nine months after the Annunciation, the traditional date of the conception of Jesus, which itself was based on a traditional belief that he was conceived and crucified on the same date, 15 Nisan.[32][16]

In the early 4th century, the church calendar contained Christmas on December 25 and other holidays placed on solar dates: "It is cosmic symbolism...which inspired the Church leadership in Rome to elect the winter solstice, December 25, as the birthday of Christ, and the summer solstice as that of John the Baptist, supplemented by the equinoxes as their respective dates of conception. While they were aware that pagans called this day the 'birthday' of Sol Invictus, this did not concern them and it did not play any role in their choice of date for Christmas," according to modern scholar S.E. Hijmans.[33]

However, today, whether or not the birth date of Jesus is on December 25 is not considered to be an important issue among mainstream Christian denominations;[34][35][36] rather, celebrating the coming of God into the world in the form of man to atone for the sins of humanity is considered to be the primary meaning of Christmas.[34][35][36]

Doesn't bother me at all if someone says "Happy Holidays" as long as they smile and mean it.

Actually there is belief among scholars that Jesus Christ was born sometime in April, according to chronicles that were written at the time. For my belief, it does not matter when He was born, what is important is that He WAS Born. Belief in his teachings is a personal thing. Some chose not to follow and others do. I believe that the choice is ours. What a gift that is. In times past, you either followed the whims of those in the drivers seat, or you lost your head. Not much choice there.

What I do not believe, is that the spirit of Christmas is all of the foolish nonsense of shopping, and worrying about whether the merchants are going to make a profit from the holiday spending or not.

Covering you house with lights and trying to outdo your neighbors ranks down there with that also.

Telling someone that they could not have a Santa or a Nativity scene in their yard court yard or anywhere else is not in the spirit of Christmas, in my book.

What Christmas is to me, is a time to stop and look at the folks around you. Those that are in need should be the center of attention and those needs should be addressed. Not just at Christmas but all year long.

It is also a time for families and friends to come together and reflect on the beauty that is our if we only look for it.

Therefore, I wish you all a very MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Over the years, I have made friends with men and women of many different religions. I always wish them a Merry Christmas. True friends understand the importance of Christ to me and recognize the spirit with which I say "Merry Christmas!". They never fail to smile and shake my hand. Likewise when I am wished a Happy Chanuka by my Jewish friends I receive it in the spirit with which it's given. Political correctness is an invention of people who prefer to live their lives with no joy or peace. So to all my friends here on the wire MERRY CHRISTMAS and may the joy of this season be ever in your heart.

Happy Holidays or Seasons Greetings have been Christmas greetings just about forever so it doesn’t bother me at all.

+1. Back in high school in the early 60's, I wood paint the local store front winders with Christmas & snow scenes. Used Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Seasons Greetings, etc...course dint know what PC waz back then. :)

+1. Back in high school in the early 60's, I wood paint the local store front winders with Christmas & snow scenes. Used Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Seasons Greetings, etc...course dint know what PC waz back then. :)

You went to High School?Huh! :blink:

"Happy Holidays" means "happy holy days", so all the recent argumentation that it represents some anti-Christmas sentiment is really overblown.

As for business, my firm sent out "Happy Holidays" and "Season's Greetings" cards to clients for decades, long before "PC" was heard of. We had Christians and Jews and none-of-the-aboves in the firm and Christians, Jews, Bhuddists, and none-of-the-aboves as clients. This has been common and sensible business practice in this multi-religious country for a long, long time.

Merry Christmas!

Yes, Happy Holidays, Season's Greetings, have been around. But last night our neighbors daughter brought her young son to see our tree and the Lionel Train set underneath, he loves horses and trains. She works for a large department store and was telling BlueJeans that they had a meeting with the regional Manager, and all the store employees, and were told to only use the greeting, "Happy Holidays". If a customer greeted them with a "Merry Christmas", to reply, using only "Happy Holidays" as a reply to the greeting.

My last supervisor at Amoco, was Jewish, and would wish us all a "Merry Christmas", at the work site, and at the office party.

Its not the difference in greetings, the terms being around for a long time, its being told that you will not use the "Merry Christmas"as a greeting, nor have signs saying Merry Christmas displayed. Anyone watching the news, may have seen were even a gated community banned signs saying Merry Christmas from a garage wall, to a sign on the lawn. Yet, Happy Holidays was allowed. MT

Yes, Happy Holidays, Season's Greetings, have been around. But last night our neighbors daughter brought her young son to see our tree and the Lionel Train set underneath, he loves horses and trains. She works for a large department store and was telling BlueJeans that they had a meeting with the regional Manager, and all the store employees, and were told to only use the greeting, "Happy Holidays". If a customer greeted them with a "Merry Christmas", to reply, using only "Happy Holidays" as a reply to the greeting.

My last supervisor at Amoco, was Jewish, and would wish us all a "Merry Christmas", at the work site, and at the office party.

Its not the difference in greetings, the terms being around for a long time, its being told that you will not use the "Merry Christmas"as a greeting, nor have signs saying Merry Christmas displayed. Anyone watching the news, may have seen were even a gated community banned signs saying Merry Christmas from a garage wall, to a sign on the lawn. Yet, Happy Holidays was allowed. MT

Now THAT is gay PC junk IMHO! :wacko:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Pards, like they say in the Mafia movies, "it's just business, it's not personal".

It's a free country, you can say what you want on your own time. Why get excited about it? Why turn a holiday greeting into another reason to be cranky?

Businesses do this for obvious reasons.

Merry Christmas!

Pards, like they say in the Mafia movies, "it's just business, it's not personal".

It's a free country, you can say what you want on your own time. Why get excited about it? Why turn a holiday greeting into another reason to be cranky?

Businesses do this for obvious reasons.

Merry Christmas!

...I know businesses that say 'Merry Christmas'...for obvious reasons (after all He's the reason for the season)...goes both ways I reckon...

...as mentioned in a thread that got yanked - I'm good with Happy Holidays being said to me, no prob...but I say 'Merry Christmas' :D ...and tell my customers 'Merry Christmas' (except for my Jewish pards who get a delightful 'Happy Hanukkah' ;)

Actually there is belief among scholars that Jesus Christ was born sometime in April, according to chronicles that were written at the time. For my belief, it does not matter when He was born, what is important is that He WAS Born. Belief in his teachings is a personal thing. Some chose not to follow and others do. I believe that the choice is ours. What a gift that is. In times past, you either followed the whims of those in the drivers seat, or you lost your head. Not much choice there.

What I do not believe, is that the spirit of Christmas is all of the foolish nonsense of shopping, and worrying about whether the merchants are going to make a profit from the holiday spending or not.

Covering you house with lights and trying to outdo your neighbors ranks down there with that also.

Telling someone that they could not have a Santa or a Nativity scene in their yard court yard or anywhere else is not in the spirit of Christmas, in my book.

What Christmas is to me, is a time to stop and look at the folks around you. Those that are in need should be the center of attention and those needs should be addressed. Not just at Christmas but all year long.

It is also a time for families and friends to come together and reflect on the beauty that is our if we only look for it.

Therefore, I wish you all a very MERRY CHRISTMAS.

AMEN!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS AND GOD BLESS EVERYONE!

PS Now I'm going to tell you what I really think. I'm sick of this self-righteous ranting about something that is meant in good faith as a cheerful holiday greeting and has been used for many years.

Like I said on the Beer thread. I don't care what you do or say. I have my preferences. Don't try to force yours on me. Mine is on my Facebook avatar at the moment and it mentions Christmas!

The SASS Wire has rules against religious posts for good reason. They turn ugly. Just look at Gunner's post if you don't believe it. :angry: I'm still steaming over it.

PS Now I'm going to tell you what I really think. I'm sick of this self-righteous ranting about something that is meant in good faith as a cheerful holiday greeting and has been used for many years.

Like I said on the Beer thread. I don't care what you do or say. I have my preferences. Don't try to force yours on me. Mine is on my Facebook avatar at the moment and it mentions Christmas!

The SASS Wire has rules against religious posts for good reason. They turn ugly. Just look at Gunner's post if you don't believe it. :angry: I'm still steaming over it.

Oh goodness Ms, Mo....please.... :rolleyes: I am not 'forcing' anything on you. I am fine with 'Happy Holidays'. However, I feel that it is PC lameness when an employer tells its staff it MUST reply to a customer "Happy Holidays' even if the customer said 'Merry Christmas'. I don;t like that...that's my 'preference'...I am entitled to that same as you, no?

Here is an example - this guy has been doing his Santa thing for over a decade and one co-worker complains and now he can't - that's utterly lame...

http://radio.foxnews...like-santa.html

This thread isn't religious....it's just a thread that is discussing about folks who would rather hear (or say) Merry Christmas...

Sorry if your havin' a bad day, maybe I used the word 'gay' and that upset you - but your reaction is a bit over the top.

Folks who preach' live and let live' should also practice it...

I sincerely apologize to anyone if my choice of word was offensive....it won't happen again.

OMG! Your post is reprehensible. :angry:

We had another of these threads last week. It went astray too.

Wonder how long before this one follows.

Merry Merry and Happy Happy

Archived