SASS Wire Forum

HOW TO HANDLE DEPRESSION

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

How do you handle depression? Buy new clothes, guns, check out web sites, buy on ebay, talk to old friends, what do you do?

ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

True depression is a dangerous thing.

If you're just a bit down in the dumps, talking to friends or a change of pace can do a world of good.

But if your depression lasts more than a few days, or causes a marked change in your outlook on life, seek medical assistance. It can be severely debilitating and extremely dangerous if left untreated.

Take out the old photo album of when I had a broken back. For a while they thought id never walk again. Six months later I set a personal record. Of running the one hundred meter in ten point two seconds. Not bad for a 5'8" tall farm boy from minnesota. That normally makes my day better. I still live in constant pain but it sure beats the other options hands down.

If that doesn't work I play with my baby boy. He's my little reminder that a lot of wrong turns can still lead to a really great gift.

If I'm still grumpy I load up my guns head to my dads and shoot till we run out of ammo... between the three I always end up feeling a little better.

Hope everyone finds something that works for them

Evil

ENG, I don't know if you are talking in general or what...

Everyone gets the 'blues' once in a while. The difference between just having the blues and depression lies in the symptoms and length of time. If the blues persist for more than a couple of weeks and are accompanied by trouble eating, difficulty sleeping, or suicidal ideation, you should see someone.

Major depression is a serious medical condition affecting more than 17 million adults in America. The onset of this disorder usually occurs earlier in life, and women are almost twice as likely as men to develop the condition. Major depression is characterized by a number of symptoms. The American Psychiatric Association says a patient must exhibit at least five of the following symptoms to be diagnosed as having depression:

•A persistently sad, anxious or empty mood

•Loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed

•Excessive crying

•Decreased ability to concentrate and make decisions

•Decreased energy

•Thoughts of suicide or suicide attempts

•Weight gain or loss

•Social withdrawal

•Changes in sleep patterns

•Increased restlessness and irritability

•Feelings of helplessness, guilt and/or hopelessness

•Physical ailments that don't respond to standard treatment (i.e., chronic headaches)

Lord only knows I get the blues living in the PNW during the winter -- gray skies and endless rain just beats me down. I combat this by trying to stay busy, keeping the lights brightly lit, and keeping the brain active. Travel to sunny locales helps as well. I force myself to go to shoots even during a downpour. I find that the older I get, the less tolerant I am of this location. The hill country of Texas is calling...

Women tend to seek help for depression, while men do not; if you meet the criteria above, please seek professional help. It is certainly nothing to be ashamed about. If you just have the blues, then come on over and we'll commiserate together.

The VA Hospital.

I force myself to go to shoots even during a downpour.

Now That's depressing! ;)

I like to pet my cat backwards when I'm feeling down. :wacko:

He responds by relieving me of some skin & blood. :o

I forget about whatever has me feeling blue as I stumble over my remodel materials in the garage knocking over my motorcycle and breaking the mirror, :blink:

Now I'm just mad... :angry:

Wheres that cat?

I like humor.

If you truly are depressed please see an MD as others have posted.

I have a list of things that I am thankful for.

Arms,

Legs,

Eyes,

Ears,

Salvation,

My Wife,

Friends,

Dogs,

Horses,

Etc...

When I start to feel down, I take the list to the One that made me and start thanking Him for it.

RR

Reloading seems to work best for me. Due to

the cost of GAS shootin has taken second place!

QDG/Mike :FlagAm:

I deal with it in a number of ways. I take a serotonin mediciation, which varies in strength depending on time of year, I have tried behavior change, with some sucess. Changing old long established patterns of behaving and thinking is very difficult for me. That which I have found helps me is to stay busy, even when it takes every ounce of energy that I seem not to have. Theodore Roosevelt once said, "Black Care seldoms sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough". His pace was pretty fast throughout his 60 years. Reach out for help, sometimes you can't go it alone, no shame. It is a cursed illness.

Obliged

Deacon Phil

I don't get depressed. Seriously.

I decided long ago there's no future in it.

If only I could find as easy a way to keep from getting pi--ed.

Getting pi-ed keeps you from getting depressed.

How do you handle depression? Buy new clothes, guns, check out web sites, buy on ebay, talk to old friends, what do you do?

ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

If it is a long term thing, go see a doctor.

What I do for short term:

Take a day off from work and go on a day trip

Walking (exercise seems to burn off at least some of the depression

Stop reading the news, whether local, national, world or political

Look at silly dog pictures (Seriously!): http://dogs.icanhascheezburger.com/ or if you are a cat person http://icanhascheezburger.com/

Archived