SASS Wire Forum

Prescription Shooting Glasses

Calamity Kris

Howdy,

I have found myself in need of purchasing prescription shooting glasses. My DH Uno Mas said ya'll gave him some wonderful advice when he asked about the subject. I looked for his thread but it seems to have fallen off the map. I'm sorry for asking the same questions again but I really do need help from some experienced pards.

One note: my prescription will NOT allow me to wear mono-vision i.e. one lens for near and one for distance. I need bifocals. I tried going through the fine folks at Evil Roy, where Uno purchased his but their glasses can't accept a bifocal prescription.

Thank you so very much, :D

C.K.

Howdy CS,

My story is, had Randolph Ranger Shooting glasses already...Called Morgan Optical 1-800-622-8781..sent them my prescription and presto-chanjo had my new lens and was ready to go..Cost was about $100.00

Everybodies mileage may vary..

Regards,

Texas Red

Several shooting glasses are made to accept "inserts" that fit behind the plastic safety shield, so that you can change a prescription as often as you need.

The one that I use is the ESS Ice safety glasses, like shown on their web site:

http://www.esseyepro.com/ICE-Series-Eyeshields_18_category.html

For about $100, the bifocal "insert" can be added to the Ice safety glasses, to make them prescription shooting glasses. The inserts just snap in. Very easy, and high quality, and extremely good impact protection.

Good luck, GJ

I've had great service from www.safevision.net. Great advice and suggestions for tweaking your glasses in your best interest. He talked me out of a couple of options I wanted to add that were useless but would have made him some extra money.

Guest talon macleod 29883

I wish that I could give you something that has worked.I have the ESS system and it would not work. Between a lot of money spent at local eye Doctors and ESS I have spent enough money to by a 73 rifle and more with no results worth a Da--. I finally just accepted it and stuck with my regular glasses. Just my experience for what its worth. Talon Macleod

I have the NYX Sport shooting glasses with the prescription insert. I am very happy with them. With the interchangeable lens I use them for sunglasses for driving too.

It is available in both single vision and bifocal, in hard coated plastic or hard coated polycarbonate material.

NYX Sport

Sir

I use my regulat bi-focals with the addation of a set of side shealds . If I need to cut down the light I use clip on shades that are polrized , I was told to change them out every 3 to 4 hours , by the eye Dr to help prevent strain .

Hope this helps .

See ya down the trail

Chickasaw

I use Randolph Ranger Shooting Glasses from Allan Lehman in Dewey Az. 602-321-4404. The lenses are bi-focals and are specially made for shooting. The bi-focal is very small, placed at the lower edge of the lenses. The lenses are oversize, and snap in the frames for easy changing if desired. The lenses are tinted a very pale pink and do a great job of cutting glare and the sights on both pistols and long guns stand out very nicely. The prescription is my normal street glasses prescription. Side shields can be added if desired.

RBK

I found stick on bifocals here;

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/

I put one on a pair of regular clear shooting glasses right in front of my shooting eye. I see the sights clearly and wot hthe other eye I can see everything else. This setup works better for me than the shooting glasses the doc made for me.

I wear bi-focal contacts and then wear a good set of safety glasses that have inserts for polarized sunglasses,clear lenses, etc. works well for me :rolleyes:

I also need bi-focals to see close up. I finally went to my eye care doctor and told him I need to be able to see my sights clear and the targets semi clear. He told me he can fix me up. I got safety glasses with the prescription built in. I need to gut them on for about 15 min. before I shoot,and leave them on. They work great for me. Once my eyes ajust I can see my sights clear and the targets clearer then expected.Now I can go faster.

Howdy,

I have found myself in need of purchasing prescription shooting glasses. My DH Uno Mas said ya'll gave him some wonderful advice when he asked about the subject. I looked for his thread but it seems to have fallen off the map. I'm sorry for asking the same questions again but I really do need help from some experienced pards.

One note: my prescription will NOT allow me to wear mono-vision i.e. one lens for near and one for distance. I need bifocals. I tried going through the fine folks at Evil Roy, where Uno purchased his but their glasses can't accept a bifocal prescription.

Thank you so very much, :D

C.K.

You need a new prescription just for shooting. Have the doctor set up your shooting eye with a lens (the entire lens) that is focused at the distance to your front sights. The other eye your normal distance lens. There is usually zero extra charges for two prescriptions, one for normal glasses and the other for shooting glasses. Our doctor is a shooter so first time he had me bring our guns into his office for fitting. Not all doctors will allow that, but you can measure the distance from your eye to the front sight of your pistols and rifle. Then the prescription can be written for that distance for the shooting eye. Shooting with bifocals is the pits, having to have your head at just one angle for shooting. Having the entire lens adds a ton of flexibility. Take the new prescription to some place like Costco for safety glasses. Just add side shields. Wife and I have done this several times as our eyes age.

I'm trying to figure out what you mean when you say "my prescription will NOT allow me to wear mono-vision i.e. one lens for near and one for distance."

Do you mean that you there is something particular with you that prevents mono-vision from being effective…or do you mean that the doctor did not check your eyes for the distance to your front sight and therefore did not write the prescription accordingly?

I could write a long and detailed explanation of what needs to be done in order for a doctor to write a prescription specifically for shooting, but there is no point until more details are known.

I'm trying to figure out what you mean when you say "my prescription will NOT allow me to wear mono-vision i.e. one lens for near and one for distance."

Do you mean that you there is something particular with you that prevents mono-vision from being effective…or do you mean that the doctor did not check your eyes for the distance to your front sight and therefore did not write the prescription accordingly?

I could write a long and detailed explanation of what needs to be done in order for a doctor to write a prescription specifically for shooting, but there is no point until more details are known.

If his prescription is written to require the bifocals, all glasses suppliers must build glasses only to this prescription. I once wanted my shooting eye to be just plane clear glass and not the prescription and no provider would do this. Solved this by getting special shooting glasses prescriptions.

If his prescription is written to require the bifocals, all glasses suppliers must build glasses only to this prescription. I once wanted my shooting eye to be just plane clear glass and not the prescription and no provider would do this. Solved this by getting special shooting glasses prescriptions.

This is misinformation although I understand that many glasses suppliers might be operating on misinformation. It is likely that someone told them that they must fill it only exactly as written and they have taken it as gospel instead of verifying. Another possiblity is they are pushing business for the doctor.

They must use the "numbers" provided by the doctor. With those "numbers, " they can make bifocals, reading only glasses, distance only glasses, or mono-vision glasses. What they cannot do is change the "numbers" and by doing so effectively become the doctor.

Hi Kris,

I normally wear bifocals. However, for shooting, I use non-bifocal glasses that have as the clearest point my rifle sight. Also, I love Transitions. They are great whether it's bright sun or overcast.

I had the optomitrist (or whatever she was) write me a special perscription for shooting.

Happy shooting!

Allie

A very good how to on shooting glasses is at

http://www.evilroyshootingschool.com/Products/wileyx/indexz_shootingglasses.html

- EVIL ROY'S SHOOTING GLASSES RECOMMENDATIONS -

After years of wearing period correct granny glasses, I realized after several shooters I know were hit in or near the eye, those glasses do not provide the protection needed for Cowboy Action Shooting®. We shoot steel targets at very close range and regularly get hit by lead splash back. Add to this the fact that we are more often facing sideways to the targets while not actually shooting and one sees a big shortcoming in small glasses with no side protection.

I researched several optics companies and decided WileyX Protective Optics offers a great product at a fair price. I tested most of the styles of glasses they manufacture and narrowed the choices down to several that work very well for us shooters. I actually shot a pair of their 'Saber' glasses with a 12-gauge shotgun at twelve yards with a typical cowboy load of #7 ½ shot. Not one pellet penetrated the lens. A standard sunglass model purchased from a discount store blew up into tiny pieces when subjected to the same test.

I tested all kinds of lens colors using black sights against many colored targets and narrowed the colors to three that work best for me.

1. Clear with an anti-reflective coat was the best under all conditions. I wear clear most of the time.

2. Number 2 Gray works great under very bright conditions or if your eyes are very light sensitive. I still use clear in bright conditions, but others will like the gray.

3. Variable tint from a very light yellow that changes to the Number 2 Gray under bright light is not a bad way to go. They are a bit more expensive and don’t let as much light through as clear but are a good compromise.

Some shooters like a light yellow tint lenses for low light contrast. We recommend adding the anti-reflective coating to allow more light through the lens.

If you do not require corrective glasses or can wear contacts, the Saber which offer a high level of protection and are priced right.

For those of us who wear corrective glasses and cannot wear contacts, I narrowed the field to the Romer II. This model has interchangeable lenses, is a wrap-around design, and is very tough. WileyX is the only company I’ve found which gets good prescriptions on a wrap around design. I have lenses for my Romer II in clear and the variable tint from light yellow to Number 2 Gray.

Of course the Romer II are also great glasses for those who do not need prescription lenses or who can wear contacts. They are very comfortable full frame glasses that fit close to the face. Included in the base price (non-prescription) are a set of three interchangeable lenses in the following colors: clear, gray, yellow.

We offer the WileyX glasses and prescription lenses at a discount and at a price unlikely to be found at your local source. For the prescription lens, we need the prescription from your local optometrist including the “PD” or pupil distance.

Bifocals are hard to use for shooting. I have my glasses set up so that my shooting eye is set for focus at the distance which covers the front sight of the pistol to the front sight of the rifle. I can also see the rear sight clearly. The other eye is set for my distance vision. I take a sharpened wooden pencil and a measuring tape to the optometrist and use the sharp point to distinguish changes in lens correction. You can see changes with a sharp pencil point easier than with the actual gun sights.

This is misinformation although I understand that many glasses suppliers might be operating on misinformation. It is likely that someone told them that they must fill it only exactly as written and they have taken it as gospel instead of verifying. Another possiblity is they are pushing business for the doctor.

They must use the "numbers" provided by the doctor. With those "numbers, " they can make bifocals, reading only glasses, distance only glasses, or mono-vision glasses. What they cannot do is change the "numbers" and by doing so effectively become the doctor.

AND, they don't need a piece of paper to do it. A local dispenser can look at your existing lenses and get the info they need.

So... if you can resolve those issues, look at a safety lens like ESS, Rudy Project or my fav, Bolle. They all use an insert of some sort that snaps into or on to a polycarbonate lens/frame that allows you to change lenses to suit the conditions.

I use the red lens for most conditions and clear when it is heavily overcast or shady. Take a look at Optics Planet at all the things available:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/rx.html?gclid=CMGvgNL-5KcCFYrs7QodvHwxjA

Olen

I'm having trouble understanding this as well.

I don't know what he meant for sure. But I know with my prescription my little pea brain does not do monovision very well at all. I've tried it several different ways with bad results each time.

What seems to work the best for me (that's not to say it's a good way, just what has worked for my eyes) is to wear my contact lenses which are more for distance and use a pair of safety glasses that are a +1.50 reader over them. The front sights on my pistol are REALLY magnified and I can see the rifle front sight fairly well. The problem is the targets are blurry and if the rifle targets are at much distance they are REALLY blurry.

I have the NYX Sport shooting glasses with the prescription insert. I am very happy with them. With the interchangeable lens I use them for sunglasses for driving too.

It is available in both single vision and bifocal, in hard coated plastic or hard coated polycarbonate material.

NYX Sport

+1 for NYX sport. I've been using them for about 6 years and have changed prescription a couple times.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

You need a new prescription just for shooting. Have the doctor set up your shooting eye with a lens (the entire lens) that is focused at the distance to your front sights. The other eye your normal distance lens. There is usually zero extra charges for two prescriptions, one for normal glasses and the other for shooting glasses. Our doctor is a shooter so first time he had me bring our guns into his office for fitting. Not all doctors will allow that, but you can measure the distance from your eye to the front sight of your pistols and rifle. Then the prescription can be written for that distance for the shooting eye. Shooting with bifocals is the pits, having to have your head at just one angle for shooting. Having the entire lens adds a ton of flexibility. Take the new prescription to some place like Costco for safety glasses. Just add side shields. Wife and I have done this several times as our eyes age.

This is a popular method and very effective. Take a couple of sharp penicils with you to eye doc if they will not allow guns. Have the shooting lens made for front sight distance, the other side your regular script. Add side shields, Good Luck

Jefro :ph34r:

I wear bifocals as well. I just went to the local Lenscrafters store and told them I wanted a pair of safety glasses made with my prescription, but with the bifocal lenses inverted; with the reading portion of the lens at the top instead of on the bottom like regular glasses. One of the lab techs even came out of the lab, gave me a broom handle, told me to hold it like a rifle and look down it with my head down in what would be MY normal stance, and took measurements to see how far down the reading lens portion had to come to give me sufficient line of sight. Lenscrafters also had a pair of aviator frames so I could have large lenses. They also put on a pair of sideshelds.

I have been using that pair of glasses for close to 6 years now, and it has worked well for me. Since these are for shooting only and not for reading, driving, working, etc., I don't have to get the lenses changed every time your prescription changes, and I still see well enough with them to shoot. You could probably do the same thing at a local Walmart optical store for less than what I spent at Lenscrafters.

FWIW, after shooting for more than five years using the style with inserts, my next pair will be single lens glasses made with polycarbonate lens using a frame that wraps around. I've found the inserts to be a bit troublesome for cleaning. IMO, the only up side is you can change out the colored lens if you wish. I use yellow now, but I'll be using clear on my next pair. I have gray lens also, but they never get used because my eyes do not pick up light well and I need all the light I can get.

Here's a photo and as you can see, by the time Sugah had her glasses made, we had learned.

It might be helpful to know that as long as a frame properly protects from the side, there is nothing particularly special about the frames used for "shooting" glasses. In other words, there are frames out there that weren't designed for shooting, but with polycarbonate lens will provide excellent protection. Without a side shield, aviation style glasses are a BAD plan.

First, let me say thank you all for the wonderful advice. I really appreciate it. Now for the answers to your questions.

Do you mean that you there is something particular with you that prevents mono-vision from being effective…

Without going into a lot of needless, at least for this purpose detail, my left eye was seriously damaged several years ago. In order for me to see, they must do some special tweaking of the left lens of my glasses. The correction is so significant, I can neither wear contacts nor mono-vision eyeglasses. That is also why I must wear bi-focals. {I have worn bi-focals since I was in my 20's.} I told my doctor what I was looking for and she did try to fit me for mono-vision lenses. Unfortunately, the distortion in the left eye was so severe, I couldn't handle it.

- EVIL ROY'S SHOOTING GLASSES RECOMMENDATIONS -

I have my glasses set up so that my shooting eye is set for focus at the distance which covers the front sight of the pistol to the front sight of the rifle. I can also see the rear sight clearly. The other eye is set for my distance vision.

The above is a perfect description of mono-vision.

I have heard that the glasses, like the ESS with the clip in prescription inserts tend to fog up. Has anyone here had that experience?

Thank you all again.

C.K.

I have the same problem - only one good eye for shooting. The solution for me was this: http://www.hansenseagleeye.com/ESS.html. Hansen’s Eagle Eye makes a special bifocal insert for the ESS safety glasses. The bifocal is placed on the top inside edge of the lens. I had the eye doc write the bifocal Rx for my front sight distance. The result is that when I look straight through the lens I see the target sharply and when I tip my nose down a little the front sight comes into focus. This setup has worked very well for me. I have not found any other way to do it with only one good eye.

I have heard that the glasses, like the ESS with the clip in prescription inserts tend to fog up. Has anyone here had that experience?

I've been wearing ESS Ice model for 3 years. I sweat hard, and can fog up any goggle. But, I have NEVER fogged the ESS Ice. There is room for air to circulate completely around the "prescription" lenses, and completely around the plastic safety "visor" in the front.

Good luck with whatever you choose. GJ

:wacko: Hi...I went to my local Eyemasters Store....brought the guns...and both lenses corrected on the bottom half and clear on the top half....for me works great. they also had wrap around frames...maybe not the color I would have liked but and if i remember right it was about $200 for exam and glasses Outlaw Exterminator

I don't know what he meant for sure. But I know with my prescription my little pea brain does not do monovision very well at all. I've tried it several different ways with bad results each time.

Usually the brain compensates for the near/far issue, Taquila, but you are absolutely right -- some folks cannot adapt to it. Progressive lenses usually work well for these folks.

Thank you for the explanation. I have not had any problem with my glasses fogging up. They are Bollé, but I don't think it would matter which brand.

Something that has been mentioned that I would like to make sure it is understood: We typically look down (while keeping our heads up) to view objects close up, such as reading, and therefore the extra magnification is added to the bottom of our everyday bi-focals.

When shooting, the opposite is true. With our cheeks down on our stocks and looking at the sights on our long guns or even looking at the sights on our pistols, we are actually dropping our head and looking through the very tops of our lenses. So, if bi-focals are needed, the extra magnification would need to be in the top of the lenses and likely only a very small portion of the top. Even more specifically, for a dominant right eye person, the upper left (looking out) corner next to the nose.

Usually the brain compensates for the near/far issue, Taquila, but you are absolutely right -- some folks cannot adapt to it. Progressive lenses usually work well for these folks.

Okie,

Progressive is what I have now for both my shooting and regular glasses. They work o.k. but I'd love to have better vision. I'm getting to the point where I'm seriously considering Lasik surgery. I'm real curious about the "wave-front" Lasik I keep hearing about.

Thank you for the explanation. I have not had any problem with my glasses fogging up. They are Bollé, but I don't think it would matter which brand.

Same here with the Bollé Vigilante. I do use an anti-fog cloth on all four surfaces especially in high humidity climates

Warning! Shameless plug ahead!:

. The folks at UniqueTek have the Clarity anti-fog wipes that really work well. They support the sport and have exceptional products:

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1246

Olen

I have worn Oakley shooting glasses for years. They were fitted with my desired correction per side, one being to emphasize sights, the other for target. I tried the Oakleys around 10-12 years ago after having Lasik surgery and I would certainly recommend them.

Archived