SASS Wire Forum

I'd Like Your Thoughts Please

I’m in the process of preparing an upcoming speech and would like some input from our SASS family.

I’d like your personal definition of a veteran.

I don’t want anything out of a dictionary; I want your personal definition based on your past experiences, observations, acquaintances, relationships, feelings etc.

Example: When you think of a veteran, what image comes to mind and how would you describe and define them? What, if anything sets them apart—something or nothing at all? How would you describe them as a group or as individuals to friends or your children?

I’d like to include thoughts from veterans—active and former; combat and non-combat, family members, friends and those who haven’t worn the uniform.

Input selected will be quoted in my speech using your SASS alias only. Short and concise statements are preferred but please feel free to say whatever come from your heart.

If you prefer to send me your thoughts privately, please email them to:

coloneldan@bellsouth.net

I very much appreciate, will sincerely value and look forward to your assistance and contributions.

A veteran is anyone who has served in the armed forces of the United States. Much as I hate to say it, this would include even those who received a BCD or DD.

I have a friend who, virtually immediately after taking the oath for the US Navy, fainted due to an illness. He was taken to a civilian hospital. The Navy, in their wisdom, gave him a medical discharge. Even though he actually served a period of time measured in minutes, the VA considers him a veteran.

A veteran is one who served when called. Maybe the call came from within or maybe it came in a greeting from the draft board.

Maybe he carried a guitar for Special Services or a rifle for Special Forces.

He might have stood watch on a lonely frozen airfield along the DEW line or in a foxhole or on the bridge of a destroyer or an office in the Pentagon.

He may have been within spitting distance of the enemy or a thousand miles away.

He may have operated a bulldozer or a computer or an F-16.

At the end of the day, the veteran is one who stood ready to do whatever was necessary to defend our way of life and preserve the United States.

Neither hero nor villain, just a citizen who was willing to pay for his freedom.

Because of that a bond exists between veterans that civilians may try but cannot truly understand.

To me, a vet is anyone who spent time in the military. Whether overseas or stateside, combat or support. They gave up their family life for a while or longer,(lifer's)to live in conditions completely different from what they grew up in. Some maybe better, most worse than what they were used to. They were changed once they mustered out depending on their experiences, some horribly so. They deserve our respect and thanks....Buck( who lives with one, and has worked with many) :FlagAm:

A veteran is anyone who served his country. He is the man or woman who lives in your neighborhood, teaches at your school, pumps gas at the service station or does any of the day to day jobs that keep our socitey running. The veteran may have volunteered, or may have been called, but he served. How and where he served was determined by his country. Many more served in peace time than in war, and even in war time, most did not have to actually face the enemy. When the politicians did their job right, the veteran served to remind our friends and enemys alike of our country's resolve. When the politicians failed, the veteran cleaned up their mess.

The veteran is an ordinary citizen, who served when needed.

A veteran as described above deserves my fullest appreciation, honor and respect. Though they may not see themselves as I see them, they are hero's through my eye's.

GG ~ USA flag

I think a modern veteran is someone who served when their nation called...even when he/she didn't have to, and when most of the people he/she grew up with didn't.

That's a modern version of course...no slight intended to anyone drafted in older times. Your mileage may vary. No CIB (or equivalent) required..."they also served" who did the scut stuff in support of those on the front lines.

V/R, Cap'n Spike

Captain, USN (Ret.)

A veteran is one who has taken a solemn oath and has signed a blank check, the cost being up to and including their life.

Semper Fortis

HOO-YAH

Doc

Doc got it right. Active duty, Guard or Reserve, war or peacetime, stateside or overseas. combat or support. You never know where it will take you, or if you will come home.

A Veteran is some one who answers the call to duty and will defend the U.S. , the people and the Constitution to the death .

IMHO :FlagAm:

Okay, I'm gonna differ a bit from the general opinion here. I was a Sgt in the National Guard for some years back a long time ago. All I really sacrificed was some time. I had had a low Lottery Number (anybody remember those?) and it was a way to deal with that.

Last Veterans Day I had to stop at a suppliers to pick up some gear. While I was dealing with something in my truck, another truck parked and the driver went inside. When I went to enter, I found a Flag on a makeshift pole lying across the entrance. Somebody had stepped across it and just kept going. I was pi$$ed! I picked it up, carried it inside, propped it upright in a corner, and exuded pi$$edoffedness upon everybody who was within sight of the door.

Coupla minutes later, the manager came out of her office. "Hey, what's my Flag doing in here?!?!"

I told her. "I'll plant it better this time", she said. "Are you a veteran?"

"Only just sorta.."

I'm real hesitant to call myself a Veteran. So many gave so much more than I. I just fulfilled my requirement.

A veteran is one who still takes his oath seriously and does not consider it to have expired just because he no longer wears the uniform.

Veterans go to reunions and/or join on-line veterans' groups, reconnect with their old comrades-in-arms, and retell all their old war stories.

What do draft-dodgers have to talk about when they get together? Not much, I'll wager.

Anyone that served in the Military is a vet. Drafted or Enlisted, loved it or hated it, he/she is a vet.

If he served with pride, believed in offering a helping hand to oppressed people and still salutes the flag when it passed or the national Anthem is sung, he is both a Veteran and a Patriot. If he is all of the above and saw combat, he is a Veteran, a Patriot, and a Hero.

When I stand and salute the flag and see others saluting I feel a kinship with them. I respect those with their hands over their hearts, and sadness for those that can't be bothered to stand. If you have never been willing to sacrafice yourself for something greater than youeself you are neither a citizen or a roll model to be respected. I stand with those that stand for something and salute all those that were willing to die for it.

Bugs Bonney

Okay, I'm gonna differ a bit from the general opinion here.

I was a Sgt in the National Guard for some years back a long time ago. All I really sacrificed was some time. I had had a low Lottery Number (anybody remember those?) and it was a way to deal with that.

Last Veterans Day I had to stop at a suppliers to pick up some gear. While I was dealing with something in my truck, another truck parked and the driver went inside. When I went to enter, I found a Flag on a makeshift pole lying across the entrance. Somebody had stepped across it and just kept going. I was pi$ed! I picked it up, carried it inside, propped it upright in a corner, and exuded pi$edoffedness upon everybody who was within sight of the door.

Coupla minutes later, the manager came out of her office. "Hey, what's my Flag doing in here?!?!"

I told her. "I'll plant it better this time", she said. "Are you a veteran?"

"Only just sorta.."

I'm real hesitant to call myself a Veteran. So many gave so much more than I. I just fulfilled my requirement.

Mixed emotions on that- all i'm gonna say ------ EXCEPT I gotta lotta respect for the NG-

My father was in the Army Air Corps/Air Force right after WWII. He was in the Pacific during the atom bomb tests as an observer. That service makes him eligible for The American Legion and VFW. A veteran in my book.

I was in the Army in the '70s. Part of the time in the Cav at Ft Campbell, then over in Germany, all in peace time.

My father does not wish to be buried in a National Cemetery thinking that should be reserved for Combat Veterans.

I hope to be buried in the Calverton National Cemetery.

I'm not sure if this is a generational thing. I have always felt accepted as a veteran by the veterans I meet, mostly of the Viet Nam era.

The secretary where I work is a Marine veteran, serving in the '70s as well. When I bring this up on Veterans Day she laughs and say she doesn't think much of her service. Says she was more in the morale business.

My favorite teacher was John McGovern, my 5th grade teacher. He was a WWII and Korean War Vet. This was 65-66. We sent get well letters and cards to the VA hospitals. My opinion of The War was different from others of my generation because of that teacher.

A person that has been sent overseas during a time of conflict and has the CIB or equalivent.

People that spent some amount in the front lines.

This is the people I first think of.

IMHO

I can't buy that elitist view. I saw kids from Transportation, Engineer Corps, Seabees, Chaplains assistants, cooks, Signal Corps, and a lot of others who didn't rate a CIB and who fought just as hard...and once in awhile a lot more often... than Infantrymen. They were universally veterans. And I defy anyone to say a Navy Corpsman of Army medic isn't a veteran, especially to anyone who has worked beside them when the heat and pressure went up and everything hit the fan.

The CIB is like a fraternity pin. Outside of that fraternity it doesn't mean much.

Fire away.

Col. Dan

I have let this run through my mind all day ,and read the posts . I think Doc Daster and Groghey Greg have pretty well sumed it up . As for a CIB or any other award it does not make any differance .

What makes it is the dedication to protect the Constution and the country in and out of uinform . I am not active anymore but I am still sworn to protect her until death from all emenies .

I am willing to stand with all of my brothers and sisters that have made and keep the oath .

Just the view from my hillside .

Chickasaw Bill

Colonel Dan I sent you an E-Mail yesterday related slightly to this post. This is my definition of a veteran: One who served in any branch of the military services, reserves or National Guard, who took the oath, understood the oath, served honorably during his or her term of service, during peace time or war time, and wore the uniform with pride.

I belong to a veterans organization which includes this statement in their newsletters, "A live man's smile is worth more than any decoration that an individual may be awarded.

Semper Fidelis.

A Veteran, a person who has served his country in any capacity in which his skills were used, be it at the front line facing the brunt,or behind lines providing the means for the front line soldier to carry out his missions, or maybe give comfort and aid for those that have been wounded or fallen. A Veteran has served his country in all capacity when called upon. A veteran is also a survivor, able to return and tell the deeds of those that gave their all, so he/she may tell their stories. Many Veterans tell about those Heroes, for if it wasn't for them, they wouldn't be, "Veterans". MT

If you served, you are a Veteran. It matters not if you were active duty , Reservist, or Natonal Guard as these lines have been blurred for a loooong time now. Anybody had the possibility of being sent into combat as witnessed by our current conflict. More Purple Hearts and BSV's and SS's are presented to personnel in non combat, support Personnel roles than ever before..

Some Criticized "W" for "Trying to dodge the War in RVN by joining the Air National Guard." There were Guard Units flying, fighting and dying there. Remember that little episode known as The Seige at Khe Sahn? The 26th Marines were an activated Marine Corps Reserve Unit...

While I and a lot of other Combat Vets jokingly bust chops of "Pogues", we still respect them knowing all along that a little stroke of the pencil could have put them in the field instead of me. It's no different from Marines, Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Coasties busting each other's balls. I will do it in a New York Minute but if somebody that never signed their name on that line does, I will turn on them like a rabid dog and defend said Army Pukes, Squids, Airdales and Ocean Going Traffic Cops..... It is a love between Brothers and Sisters at that point....

Colonel Dan I sent you an E-Mail yesterday related slightly to this post. This is my definition of a veteran: One who served in any branch of the military services, reserves or National Guard, who took the oath, understood the oath, served honorably during his or her term of service, during peace time or war time, and wore the uniform with pride.

I belong to a veterans organization which includes this statement in their newsletters, "A live man's smile is worth more than any decoration that an individual may be awarded.

Semper Fidelis.

Under some circumstances I can even go along with some who have NOT served honorably at all times. I knew and worked with a highly decorated Staff Sergeant who had fought well and often in "Nam (three tours?), but he couldn't handle "peace time" garrison life.

He had been a Gunnery Sergeant twice, a Staff Sergeant two previous times, and had been busted for drinking and fighting each time. He was finally given a BCD and put on the beach with loss of rank and privileges after 16years. Although he was no model under any circumstances that most civilians would recognize, I can think o no one I'd rather have beside me when things turned sour than a whole mess of guys just like him.

He too was a veteran.

Archived