SASS Wire Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I told my old squad partner I'd bought a soldier's wife. She asked what my own wife thought of it. Said I hadn't told her. Where am I keeping this new purchase? In the bedside table. Ah, a blow up model. Ummm ... no ... I called by its wrong term ... it's not a soldier's WIFE, it's a soldier's HOUSEWIFE and it's a sewing kit! Link: Soldier's Housewife
  3. Dave I did the same to my 1860 Army revolvers I put a 1/4in cork wad over the powder then set the ball on top then I put 1/4in grease plug on top of the ball, I now have a chamber that is filled to the top of the cylinder Clueless Bob and I will be shooting Frontiersman at or May Monthly come on out and join us and we can talk about it
  4. I have toppled a chronograph from muzzle blast when set too close. 10’ is normal for me.
  5. Fantastic advice and information, thank you Lefty and to all that replied.
  6. I bought an ATI Commander (Philimander lol) when they first hit the market for $275 (with the coupon lol). It struggled with HPs when new, but I polished the feed ramp and put a mild bevel on the the slide where it met the disconnector (and deep cleaned and oiled it) and she runs now with damn near everything. I can't bear to sell it, actually, and if I did it would be for $400. They are reputed to not be as stout in the frame as the mainliners that sell at double the price, but shooting CAS lead .45 ACP making roughly half the muzzle energy? I'd say they might be the perfect Wild Bunch gun (on the cheap) if they can hold up. Don't have more than 300 +/- rounds through it, but again it runs w/o fuss. The local CAS guys here might let me shoot it competitively, since they are more about the fun and less about the rules. Others may chime in further, since maybe they are only good for a few thousand rounds?
  7. Interesting photoshopping. The photo is left right reversed (the U. S, ARMY tag) .MURPHY is on the wrong pocket, but somebody rereversed the tag so that it looks right.
  8. I think 10’ is the gun writing industry’s standard for muzzle energy measurements. But apparently, in long range shooting, where your chronograph is set up makes a difference. https://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/Articles/ABDOC121_VelocityDecay.pdf Here is an article about a more scientific way of setting chronographs. http://www.exteriorballistics.com/ebexplained/5th/2311.cfm If you notice in the article above they talk about a blast shield for the chronograph at the muzzle end. I think this statement explains why gun writers and others use 10’ as a distance. They don’t want to damage their chronographs.
  9. Today
  10. Grizz, Me too. Tracey Needham seemed a much "stronger, sure of herself" person. The only one worse was whoever was on the pilot and later a couple of episodes. Can't remember her name at all right now.
  11. I've used it at 2 different locations and no one has said anything other than how good they look, I'm sure at some point in time I'll run in to that "one guy" who will make a big deal about it but all in all it doesn't give me any real advantage other than comfort. I'm working on a bulldog blackhawk right not, have to get the barrel bobbed as I don't trust myself with something like that, also I'm almost done with an ak with a special stock made to be more lever action like, just got to get the barrel retreaded, again don't trust myself on that. Thank for the kind words, I may open a custom form and we can see what all the "can leave it alone" nuts got, made start something...
  12. Besides, the "Greeners" used in Big Jake were not really Greeners but Crescent FA Americans - according to Internet Movie Firearms Data Base. http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Big_Jake#Double_Barrel_.22Coach.22_Shotgun
  13. I hate to be a wet blanket, but that one looks like a Kyber Pass Special from Afghanistan. The bolster, where the nipple, or cone, screws in doesn't look right to me. Also, the hammer looks like it was modified for a Snyder conversion. I spent three years in Afghanistan and never did find a 1853 pattern Enfield that was all correct. I have shot in the North-South Skirmish Association off and on since 1970 and have looked at and fired a number of original Enfields. The Afghans were good about taking pieces of original guns and mating them with home grown parts. Parts of your rifle musket look correct, but others don't. Please err on the side of safety.
  14. Im sorry. Festus, Mo. but I will ship.
  15. Dana Delaney for sure, Catherine Bell never did it for me, liked Tracey Needham better in Jag.
  16. The Siamese elephants has to be one of the funniest things ever on TV. We'll never see anything like that again because some jackass (or many) will be offended by it. P. O. O. P.!!!!!
  17. As Lorelei was in Calamity Kris's dress shop/millinery trying on the lovely purple dress, she thought she saw Calico drive by outside in her wagon . She asked Kris if she knew if Calico had a fancy dress for the dance , and if not, had she been in to look at one. Kris said Calico hadn't bought a new dress since years before her parents died, but had heard from Cayenne Kay that Okie had dropped a $20 gold piece down the back of her dress the other day while at the general store, but knowing Calico, she would return it to Okie the first chance that she saw him. Lorelei was thinking that Calico would probably give her a lot of grief if she tried to pay her for shooting lessons, so she decided to use some of her new found wealth to pay for a dress for Calico. While it wouldn't be as expensive or as fancy as the one imported from New York, Calico deserved a new dress. That way, even if she returned the money to Okie, she'd have a new dress to wear to the dance. Maybe if she had a new dress she would use at least some of the $20 to buy a new hat to go with the dress. When she shared that idea with Kris, Kris thought it was an excellent idea and said she was making one up in dark blue that could be fitted for Calico. Now they just had to figure out a way to get Calico to the dress shop to get fitted. After getting Lorelei's new dress fitted and pinned, Kris said she'd finish tailoring it today and hoped they could get Calico in within the next couple of days. After she left the dress shop, Lorelei stopped by the general store to talk to Sixgun Seamus about a rifle and pistol. She knew he had a fancy brand new one that he had just gotten in, but Lorelei didn't need something that expensive. She just needed a reliable rifle in the same caliber as the pistol she was going to get, and she knew sometimes Seamus and Kay took guns in trade for supplies.
  18. If you reload and particularly, if you chronograph your reloads, you need to consider this information: When you set your Chronograph 10' from your muzzle, and then cypher your velocity averages, your muzzle energy AIN'T really 'muzzle energy'. Its 10' from muzzle energy. When somebody sets up their Chronograph about 10' from their muzzle and then uses those velocities to tell you how much 'muzzle energy' is generated, The energy generated would actually be ..... "Energy 10' from the muzzle". I've been guilty of this in the past, but I must admit I get annoyed when some of our 'Pros' try to impress us with great muzzle energy stats when in effect, the bullet velocities used to establish the muzzle energy was taken 10' (and sometimes further) from the muzzle. I wonder if ALPO ever thought of this? ..........Widder
  19. Get a two foot box to stand on...That will make it 20 feet... Texas Lizard
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.