SASS Wire Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I have one with a plastic stock, but says J. C. Higgins on it.....from Sears. My sister gave it to me. Butt stock is broken.
  3. I had a Red Ryder Daisy BB gun with a plastic stock fore and aft. Re ws on the right side and was raised to look almost 3 dimensional. The butt plate came off and made a nifty neato keen hiding place. I buy another one if I could find it just for nostalgia's sake. Been 60 years since I last saw that one and never saw another ever again.
  4. Yeah, we knew this would be coming. Thank God we have all our fellow countryman on our side ready to help fight another battle for our rights in these United States... oh, wait, whatever could I be thinking. That’s never happened before. Why would it happen now? Thanks for the heads up, OLG.
  5. North first, then East. Oregon, Washington, then Nevada. Arizona might hold out a little longer. Idaho will be polarized. Liberal Boise on one side, the rest of the state on the other. Same for Denver and Colorado. The time is long overdue for NRA to stop spending so much $$ on "management" and spending more $$$ on lawsuits.
  6. Maybe bismuth - about five times the cost of lead, and MUCH more difficult to acquire. Not surprisingly, the two legislators are from the San Francisco Bay Area - Mullin from the S F Peninsula (just south of the city), and Wieckowski from Fremont. Personally, I am quite weary of being treated like an inferior class by the "enlightened" jackass urbanites in power. Good Grief - ENOUGH, already!!
  7. I have been looking for a replacement set of grips for quite a while. Thanks a ton for the heads up!
  8. I completely agree with your analysis.
  9. I'll take the 2 pairs of ivory Hoage grips for $ 60.00 shipped. Rawhide
  10. But, but, but.. Well, pthhhhhh! I still like the variations of the 1860 family better and don't consider the 1892 an improvement regardless of facts. So there take that Colt > Ruger GM > Dodge > Ford Maryanne > Ginger 1860/1866/1873 > 1894 > 1892
  11. Reverend Al and Old Boz, Western Canadian Frontier Shootist Society. 1994
  12. Today
  13. Rossi mag tube spring is way stiffer that it needs to be. Might try cutting a few coils off the spring. Also clean the inside of the mag tube. OLG
  14. And you'd be wrong again... The lever throw on the 1873 is ~7", while on the 1892 it is ~6-½", the Marlin is ~6-¼". My measurements are taken from the end of the lever at rest, and the forwardmost end of its stroke. The three pictured have unaltered lever throws. And, FWIW, my 1860 and other 1873 have approximately equal lever throws. The 1892 carbine is lighter than the 1873 carbine with approximately the same densities of wood. Look up the specs... one source shows the 1873 Carbine as 7.39 lbs, and the 1892 @ 5.8 lbs (that's in the same chambering, btw, tho' the 1873 has a 19" bbl, and the 1892 has a 20", accounting for the greater than expected difference). The 1892 is a positive, mechanical lock-up, whereas the 1873 simply has a line up of parts, (bolt, pins & links, with no mechanical cross material). The Winchester 1892 used the same cartridges as 1873, with the later addition of "HV" rounds in 44@CF & 32WCF. Any COAL issues came with cowboy action shooting, Rossi carbines and more importantly, straight wall cases. In addition, the attempt to run .38 Special/.357 Magnum or .44 Special & 44 RemMag cartridges thru the same gun with no changes to the guide rails created the vast majority of issues with Rossi 1892s. Like the Marlin, once the user understands the action and takes corrective measures, COAL issues are a thing of the past. Both my 1892 in .38/.357 run either cartridge like popcorn thru a goose! And, also FWIW, the year of manufacture of the Uberti pictured is 1986, the Rossi, 2002 & the Marlin, 1978. (All happen to be 45 Colt, the Marlin wears a later "Cowboy" barrel shortened to 17", otherwise basically stock). I can lay my 1860 (c. 2008), another 1873 (c. 2014), on top of one another and the lever throws are very nearly identical. As I have often said, until the mid 1990s, the 1892 was "THE" rifle winners used. Those that won with a Marlin, had figured out the Marlin "Jam" and corrected it. Most early CAS shooters using the toggle links did so for style points, I know that was reason. The evolution of short-strokes was done so quietly, that few rule makers were aware of how prevalent they were until it was a fait accompli. Discussions around eliminating them as "legal" became mired in minutiae, since early versions were all "cut & weld" jobs, forcing people to revert back to a stock throw would have created many more problems than just allowing them... probably a mistake... as future iterations and the final rendering of a concrete limit as to how short they could be was enacted. I ain't pickin' on ya, truly, it's important to be factual and accurate in our statements. I assure you, there are many others that don't know the facts either...
  15. Sorry, got lost on the way to that one, but check out Nick's garage, old school muscle. The 97 video is pretty good, the x-ray look is interesting. This is the point at which the firing pin block is removed. These pieces can wear and this timing can change, but without any definitive specifications, and by comparing to the operation of some other 97's, I'd say this is pretty normal. I would describe this as being "almost" in battery, as there is still a bit of travel before the carrier is in the full lock position. If you shoot the 97 as your supposed to, the carrier will be in full lockup before the shell fires. FWIW: on this 97 I've adjusted the trigger stop screw so that it will slam fire shortly after this point. This fine an adjustment isn't possible on all 97's. It's far more likely that the hammer will start falling slightly earlier. This is due to the relationship between the sear, trigger and how much clearance is required to get proper movement to move from cock to half cock. It's almost like the sear and trigger are or can be a matched set. On my 97's this is something I check on occasion. Original 97's have been around for a while, they may have had many parts replaced, there could be issues. The bolt in mine has been changed, there may be other non original parts as well. All in all, it's in good condition. and it's my main shotgun, with a clone as my back-up.
  16. I didn't realize that Buffalo Soldiers were issued smartphones to wear on their belt.
  17. How hard a gun kicks can depend on what you are comparing it to. Do you shoot any other powerful rifles? Duffield
  18. Check the Team SASS page about AB 3071. It will BAN all use of lead bullets and shot. OLG
  19. I was doing a search on eBay for parts for my US Revolver breaktop and these came up in the search. I thought someone on here might be interested. I am in no way affiliated with the person doing the auction. I believe they are for a USFA revolver. https://www.ebay.com/itm/U-S-Revolver-Grips-with-US-logo-white/132669086958?hash=item1ee3b19cee:g:8wYAAOSwEzJbKAwX
  20. FACT- IF, this disaster becomes law. It will spread East..... OLG
  21. Women seem to regard the garage as a black hole into another universe, which has plenty of room to store everything that is no longer suitable for use in the house but is too valuable to throw away. Duffield
  22. Nut'n that's affordable, and 'they' know this OLG
  23. I am in the process of making a Transitional carbine myself, in 44-40.
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.