SASS Wire Forum

2nd WTC

With first handgun engage the  targets in a 1-5-2-4-3 sweep.   Shooter shoots 1-5, third shot is a squib, he lays gun down on table and draws second gun.

Should he just start the sequence over again 1-5-2-4-3 or should he continue the unfinished  sequence from his first handgun 2-4-3 then 1-5

Posted (edited)

Yes, start at target where he had the squib, that way if shooter elects to remove empties from 2nd handgun, load 3 more and finish with no 5 second penalties for unfired rounds.  

Edited by Griff
Clarify answer.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Hells Comin said:

Instructions for 2nd pistol are ? 

I agree with Boggus Deal

Repeat sequence with second handgun

Posted (edited)

There is no 1st handgun, 2nd handgun.   Its first 5 shots, second 5 shots.

I'd go with Griff on this one..... although I think the shooter has the option to either continue the sweep for 1st 5 shots, or once he/she

declared malfunction and tabled the 1st handgun, they could start the sweep over again.  If they so do, they earn 3 misses.

EDIT:  if the TO directed the shooter to table the 1st handgun and there is NO ROUND stuck in the barrel, shooter

can request a reshoot with a clean start.

..........Widder

Edited by Widder, SASS #59054
  • Like 1

Shooter choice as to where to engage with second pistol.

Assuming the first five rounds and second five rounds (first pistol-second pistol) are to engage the targets the same, the shooter can:

1 - use second pistol to engage targets 1-5-2-4-3 and take three misses

2 - use second pistol to engage targets 2-4-3, then 1-5 - RELOAD three rounds and engage targets 2-4-3 to preserve a clean match.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Our pistol sequences are first 5 shots/ 2nd 5 shots.

And even if pistols are split by position or another firearm.

Shooter ALWAYS has the OPTION to continue the shot count with their pistol of choice.

IF the shooter does not intend to reload or "complete" the string - the shooter may accept their "misses" anywhere in the sequence.

Continuing in order offers the OPTION to EITHER reload OR accept the misses at the end of the 2nd 5 round string.

Skipping to the 2nd five pistol rounds means the shooter is accepting the "misses" at the end of the 1st 5 round string.

(reloading and going back to the end of the 1st 5 round string is likely inviting a "P" depending upon stage written options).

Remember - only GUNFIGHTERS are forbidden from holstering after beginning a pistol string.

All others are free to shoot 2 out of one - holster.

Shoot 1 out the other - holster.

Back and forth until complete.

So picking up the sequence with a differing pistol after X number of rounds is no issue.

Edited by Creeker, SASS #43022
  • Like 1

A little late to the party on this one.  Shooter's choice.  If he starts over, he's got 3 misses, obviously but he can call for a reshoot if there isn't a round in the barrel of that first gun..  If he's looking for a clean match he might continue the string and add 3 to the seconds gun to finish the string, but I might only do that if it's the last stage, I'm still clean and there's jam on the line... (It's good jam...) :P

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Yes, start at target where he had the squib, that way if shooter elects to remove empties from 2nd handgun, load 3 more and finish with no 5 second penalties for unfired rounds.  

You know, in 25 years I've never seen anybody do that.  BUT, like Red Eye Jim said, if it was the last stage of a local match and I was going for a clean match, I would do it. :)

37 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

You know, in 25 years I've never seen anybody do that.  BUT, like Red Eye Jim said, if it was the last stage of a local match and I was going for a clean match, I would do it. :)

When EOT was held at Paradise Pass, Someone did something like that to preserve their clean match. Although I believe they were shooting C&B pistols.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

When EOT was held at Paradise Pass, Someone did something like that to preserve their clean match. Although I believe they were shooting C&B pistols.

Yep and his initials are Griff ;) believe it was a little wet and he even posted a video of it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Yep and his initials are Griff ;) believe it was a little wet and he even posted a video of it.

I was pretty sure it was Griff. Didn't want to throw him totally under the bus. Figured I just give him a little rope and see what happens next.

• Like 1

It took a 186 second stage, but I got a clean match!  I kept the guns dry, but forgot about the caps.  Luckily, I had enough.

• Like 2