SASS Wire Forum

Self driving Mustang

Me neither.  Just last night I was driving my wife’s ford suv.  Dirt got on a front sensor and camera so you can see how close you are to obstacles.  Every time I approached a traffic light or stop sign the my crash warning would go off and the front camera would come on to warn me I was going to hit the car in front of me or worse yet hit the white stripe on the road.  Once I wiped the front cameras with spit and a left over receipt from a store it went away.  

I've seen those E-Mustangs. How in the hell anyone can call them a Mustang is beyond me, kind of like calling the mid-70's Mustang II a Mustang. Self driving cars, in their present form, should not be allowed on the public roads.

https://apnews.com/article/trucks-selfdriving-highways-automation-driver-083409631158f54d806d75309c4764e2

The image of a fully loaded, 80,000-pound driverless truck weaving around cars on a super-highway at 65 mph or more may strike a note of terror. A poll conducted in January by AAA found that a decisive majority of American drivers — 66% — said they would fear riding in an autonomous vehicle.

But in less than nine months, a seven-year science experiment by Aurora will end, and driverless trucks will start carrying loads between terminals for FedEx, Uber Freight, Werner and other partners. Aurora and most of its rivals plan to start running freight routes in Texas, where snow and ice are generally rare

56 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Now those are really scary!

All because some people are too lazy, too stupid, or have too short of an attention span to safely drive a vehicle!!!

I could say a lot more, but I don’t feel the need to waste my time or breath or the energy to type out what really SHOULD be done!!

I WILL say that trucking and transportation companies would dearly love to eliminate having to pay drivers to operate their fleets!!!

2 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I WILL say that trucking and transportation companies would dearly love to eliminate having to pay drivers to operate their fleets!!!

Until they have to pay out to the victims their driverless trucks kill. Can't wait to see them at a busy narrow loading dock that was built years ago for 48' trailers or smaller!!

Well, I tell you - my very intelligent Wife will likely get a self driving car when they actually work 100% and soon after I croak.  We live in the wide open spaces and have adult children in two states within one day driving range.  She figures that feature will allow her to stay in the house longer and get to drive for frequent visits.  I can only say that at the time she executes her plan it won't bother me.  I can't imagine wanting one since I enjoy driving.

I don’t like being on a bus, train or even in a car with most people driving. I like to have control!

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Now those are really scary!

Yep.

I don't even like cruise control,  except for very brief periods to let me flex my leg a little. 

My wife has a car with the smart cruise control that when engaged it will slow down and keep a certain distance between it and the car in front of it. The problem is after driving her car and using the cruise control I go back to driving my truck with the standard cruise control and I’ve had a couple of close calls because the truck didn’t slow down when the traffic in front of it did. An acquaintance of mine is a really bad driver and has had a few fender benders and he complains about his high insurance rates so he went out and bought one of these emustangs thinking it will make him a better driver, I’ve got serious doubts.

28 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Yep.

I don't even like cruise control,  except for very brief periods to let me flex my leg a little. 

The only time I use cruise is when I’m on an open freeway/highway and there’s hardly no other cars.

9 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

The problem is after driving her car and using the cruise control I go back to driving my truck with the standard cruise control and I’ve had a couple of close calls because the truck didn’t slow down when the traffic in front of it did.

I engage all of the regenerative stuff on our Leaf when I drive. That includes the e-pedal for "one foot driving."  When I let off the accelerator it automatically applies the brakes for optimum recharging.  But every now and then I turn all of it off so there is no limiting of the acceleration,  no automatic braking, even the slight drag of the B mode.  Just to keep the fee for braking.   

Haven't used Cruise control since 1975. Driving a stretch on US 80, going to Starve Rock, cruise on set at 65 mph. Was coming up to exit a mile away and tried turning cruise off, tapped brake, nothing. Lucky no heavy traffic, pushed brake as hard as possible and pulling emergency brake slowly. Finally came to a stop, brakes smoking and turned off engine. We waited about 15 or so minutes and turned engine on. Lucky everything worked, tested brakes, and slowly brought up to speed limit testing brakes, etc. First exit turned around for home and nearest Ford Dealer. They found nothing wrong, nor an explanation why it, or what could have caused it. I never used Cruise again.

1 hour ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

Haven't used Cruise control since 1975. Driving a stretch on US 80, going to Starve Rock, cruise on set at 65 mph. Was coming up to exit a mile away and tried turning cruise off, tapped brake, nothing. Lucky no heavy traffic, pushed brake as hard as possible and pulling emergency brake slowly. Finally came to a stop, brakes smoking and turned off engine. We waited about 15 or so minutes and turned engine on. Lucky everything worked, tested brakes, and slowly brought up to speed limit testing brakes, etc. First exit turned around for home and nearest Ford Dealer. They found nothing wrong, nor an explanation why it, or what could have caused it. I never used Cruise again.

I had a similar experience driving my dad's motorhome in about 1978.  It had an aftermarket add on speed control.  I was on Highway 76 coming home to Vista from Anza Borrego State Park.  I'd set it and it wouldn't disengage.  There wasn't much (any) traffic, so I was able to put it in neutral, bring it to the side of the road, and shut it off.  

I've got no problem with cruise control. I was glad to have in in the trucks I drove. Even if you're only doing an hour at a time, it's good to have. But you still have to pay attention to traffic. If anything though, controlling the throttle is one LESS thing to pay attention to. 

When I was an Over The Road driver, it saved a lot of fatigue over 500 or so miles. 

1 minute ago, Trailrider #896 said:

And some of the airlines are pushing for NO pilots on the flight deck, just AI. I don't even like the idea of a single pilot! :(
. .

I don't know, I'm pretty sure that the Autopilot handles everything anyway, from take off to landing. Pilots are almost passengers nowadays.

1 minute ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I don't know, I'm pretty sure that the Autopilot handles everything anyway, from take off to landing. Pilots are almost passengers nowadays.

Yeah, but assuming they've actually been trained to fly the bird, they could, hopefully, take over if the autopilot fails, or something else goes wrong...unless the plane was built by boing, boing! I have never been truly afraid when flying commercial, but I recently had to book a flight where "the equipment had the suffix -800, and it gave me pause as I got on the plane. Fortunately, all the parts stayed together.

"just when you're about to be a general you'll find,

the engine coughs, the wings fall off,

And you will never mind!" - Oscar Brand  :huh:

An ancient joke that predicted the present.

Shortly after a smooth take off and ascent to cruising height, an announcement comes over the PA.  Ladies and Gentlemen, congratulations on being on the first fully AI controlled commercial flight.  The system is fully redundant and will guarantee you a safe and comfortable flight with systems that are completely infallible, fallible, fallible...

Archived