SASS Wire Forum

Trying to fast at shooting duelist

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

It is a highly competitive match for sure, but well worth the trip if you have the testicular fortitude.

Well stated...... especially from a man who TW don't even like.   :lol:

..........Widder

• Haha 1

On 4/22/2024 at 7:50 PM, Tennessee williams said:

Now it's a whole other story if you're wanting your stage times to improve. The indisputable best way to get lower stage times is get faster at what you're doing when you're not pulling the trigger. There's no secret speed sauce. Cut down on the time it takes between trigger pulls.

Exactly.  And the low-hanging fruit is the shotgun.  SG is the only gun we load on the clock.  Git gud at loading the SG.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

That's because I'm so much better looking.

I think he's jealous of your shooting abilities.

And, he still thinks he sings like Elvis.

..........Widder

• Haha 1

On 4/23/2024 at 7:53 PM, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I mostly agree except practice fast, you’ll never know your speed limit until you exceed it.

Randy

Practicing fast did not seem to help me when I was young and dating.:D

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

You fellers 'quack' me up.   I'm glad you're both into 'Chickens' and not ducks.

TW is correct in on thing he's told me......... Shooting Bull ain't good enough to shoot the TN State.  :D

..........Widder

I want you two  ,to please try and get along  Or no more NANNA SPLITS.:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Lots of good advice.  Good equipment will help but not as much as transitions. Best advice I can give is transitions runs the stage. Don't try and hide your weaknesses or they will stay your weakness.

Not discussed yet is options starting right to left or left to right on a string. That can change the whole stage and the choices you have. I've done alright using anything from a hammer dbl, 3rd gen Colts to a skb and ss low hammer Rugers. Don't get hung up on the split times.

EMN

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I think he's jealous of your shooting abilities.

And, he still thinks he sings like Elvis.

..........Widder

I'm sure he would beat me pretty easily if he would learn how to properly hold a revolver.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, JoeCalhoun said:

Hey there, partner! It sounds like you're putting in the work to hone those quick-draw skills. Practice definitely is king when it comes to speed shooting, but there are a few other things you can consider to shave off some milliseconds:

First, let's talk about your Ruger Old Model Vaquero. Those are fantastic revolvers, but the single-action design might not be the most conducive to blazing-fast shooting compared to a double-action revolver. However, changing out the hammer might help a bit Blackhawk hammers: These typically have a wider spur that allows for a smoother and potentially faster draw. However, they might alter the overall look and feel of your Vaquero, which some folks wouldn't want. Also there are Bisley hammers: These hammers have a lower profile spur that might be more comfortable for some shooters. While they might not necessarily increase speed, they could improve your grip and overall control.

Here are some other tips that might prove helpful:

• Dry fire practice: This is a fantastic way to hone your draw and trigger pull technique without needing ammo. Focus on a smooth, deliberate draw and a clean break on the trigger.
  • Trigger control: A smooth and steady trigger pull is crucial for fast and accurate shooting. Jerking the trigger will throw off your aim, so practice maintaining a consistent grip and a smooth pull.
  • Fast draw holster: The right holster can make a big difference in draw speed. Look for a holster that fits your Vaquero snugly but allows for a smooth, quick draw.

Ultimately, the best way to find what works for you is through practice and experimentation. There are also some great instructional videos online (and maybe even local classes) that can provide visual demonstrations of quick-draw techniques.

Remember, speed is important, but accuracy matters more. Focus on developing a smooth, controlled draw while maintaining pinpoint accuracy.

Keep practicing, partner! And feel free to share any insights you discover along the way. This forum is a great place to learn from each other's experiences.

Is this for reals?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, JoeCalhoun said:

What do you mean?

Your recommendation of a double action revolver on the SINGLE ACTION SHOOTING SOCIETY'S thread about shooting "duelist" faster which you obviously think refers to "dueling" i.e. "fast draw" which is something else entirely. Judging by your posts which the entirety have been put on in the last hour or so, I'd say you are new here and not really sure where you are. I'd suggest sit back and read for an hour and then post a thread introducing yourself. Id also put on your profile where youre from. It keeps people from thinking youre some kind of spammer or troll. Folks will come around and talk to you that way faster than with you giving advice on a page you may not know what is about. 

Most everybody is way nicer than I am.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Your recommendation of a double action revolver on the SINGLE ACTION SHOOTING SOCIETY'S thread about shooting "duelist" faster which you obviously think refers to "dueling" i.e. "fast draw" which is something else entirely. Judging by your posts which the entirety have been put on in the last hour or so, I'd say you are new here and not really sure where you are. I'd suggest sit back and read for an hour and then post a thread introducing yourself. Id also put on your profile where youre from. It keeps people from thinking youre some kind of spammer or troll. Folks will come around and talk to you that way faster than with you giving advice on a page you may not know what is about. 

Not me. Everyone will tell you I’m mean as a broke back snake!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

This is what I heard from him…

IMG_5645.gif

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, JoeCalhoun said:

Remember, speed is important, but accuracy matters more. Focus on developing a smooth, controlled draw while maintaining pinpoint accuracy.

Keep practicing, partner! And feel free to share any insights you discover along the way. This forum is a great place to learn from each other's experiences.

"....... pinpoint accuracy".

I don't know where you shoot, but "pinpoint accuracy" ain't exactly a big requirement when shooting at 18" square targets

at 6 yards.

..........Widder

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

"....... pinpoint accuracy".

I don't know where you shoot, but "pinpoint accuracy" ain't exactly a big requirement when shooting at 18" square targets

at 6 yards.

..........Widder

+ as many as Widder wants.

I have said this for "all the years" 

Speed is INFINITELY more difficult than accuracy.

If you do everything correctly - you WILL hit the target; do everything exactly the same again and you WILL hit the target again.

Accuracy (at least at "normal" people distances) is a trainable, repeatable skill - it is a SCIENCE.

Speed is an ART.

It is incredibly difficult to train another person to "go fast".

Many, whether for fear of crashing, failing or "safety" have an internal limiter that they simply refuse to go beyond - they cannot or will not exceed a certain percentage of their ability.

A number of folks on this forum have years of experience; boxes of trophies and many a story of trainwreck - the scars of which we wear just as proudly as the buckles on our belts.

These are the folks whose "opinions" I seek out when I am exploring improvement.

Edited by Creeker, SASS #43022
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Is this for reals?

Ya know - a couple of my companies are exploring A.I. for social media creation and automated responses.

I initially skimmed the post the first time, but reading this post again - it reads almost EXACTLY like an Artificial Intelligence created ChatGPT style posting.

And if you read it ALOUD - there is no doubt it is a generated post.

Im having my doubts that our "friend" with a whole 5 posts actually exists.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

A number of folks on this forum have years of experience; boxes of trophies and many a story of trainwreck - the scars of which we wear just as proudly as the buckles on our belts.

These are the folks whose "opinions" I seek out when I am exploring improvement.

And don't forget the REAL scars from cuts on thumbs and fingers from sharp edge 97 bolts.

And calasis and sometimes a small blister from hard practice with pistols and SG.

I now put a bandaid on my thumb and finger when I dry fire practice to help eliminate some cuts when I 'bump' the edge

of the bolt.   The cuts don't hurt so much but its hard to practice with blood running down your hand (I take blood thinners).

..........Widder

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Is this for reals?

7 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Ya know - a couple of my companies are exploring A.I. for social media creation and automated responses.

I initially skimmed the post the first time, but reading this post again - it reads almost EXACTLY like an Artificial Intelligence created ChatGPT style posting.

Good call.

Especially considering ‘JC’s recommendations of a Glock  17, an S&W M&P, etc. as excellent pistols for a ‘newbie’ the thread asking about pistols for novices. 

And who here calls anyone ‘partner’ instead of ‘pard’?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I think you're right, it does sounds like an AI response. I bet they are test driving through various forums across the web.

9 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

So basically we’re dealing with SkyNet here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lucky Lead Pepper said:

I think you're right, it does sounds like an AI response. I bet they are test driving through various forums across the web.

How much could it mess ‘em up if we all went back at ‘em with praise and accolades for the insights?

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

So basically we’re dealing with SkyNet here.

Dealing with something.

I don't know if you have played with AI any - but for anyone that hasn't; it is an interesting process.

I have zero understanding of how it is "done" - but how it works is kind of cool; but once you see certain things - it begins to jump out.

To create an AI response (at least from the source we are using - I have heard others can vary)

You offer up "prompts" or bullet points for all the stuff you want it to address.

And you can tell it to present the information in a "style".

So in the case of our "friend" - someone would enter a laundry list of points.

How to get faster shooting handguns?

Single action models.

Old model Vaquero.

Using blackhawk hammer.

Using Bisley hammer.

So on and so on.

Present the answer as an old west enthusiast.

AI then scours the internet for information (or makes it up) - compiles into a response and style.

If you dont like all the information or presentation - you can use the response itself as a guide and say "using this response - make more conversational and less technical" so on and so on.

And since your prompts can be nearly limitless - after a while of stacking up modifications; you can fine tune the responses to read nearly indistinguishable from a human.

Why use it to form responses on a forum?

Not sure - it is not without some effort; but SkyNet is as good of a suggestion as any.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

So in the case of our "friend" - someone would enter a laundry list of points.

How to get faster shooting handguns?

Single action models.

Old model Vaquero.

Using blackhawk hammer.

Using Bisley hammer.

So on and so on.

Present the answer as an old west enthusiast.

I put the quoted text into ChatGPT and got this response:

Well, partner, if you're lookin' to quicken your draw with them single-action pistols like the old Vaquero, you're in for a ride down the dusty trail of improvement. Now, when it comes to shootin' faster than a rattlesnake's strike, there's a few tricks us old west aficionados have up our sleeves.

First off, let's talk about them hammers. You mentioned the Blackhawk hammer and the Bisley hammer. Now, the shape and weight of that there hammer can make a heap of difference in how fast you can cock that pistol. Some folks find the Bisley hammer gives 'em a better grip and leverage, makin' it quicker to cock. But others swear by the classic Blackhawk hammer for its familiarity and balance.

Next, it's all about practice, pardner. You gotta spend time on the range, honin' your skills like a blacksmith temperin' a blade. Work on your draw, your aim, and your trigger finger speed. Smoothness and efficiency are key. You want every movement to be like a well-oiled wagon wheel, slick and steady.

Don't forget about your stance neither. Plant them boots firm on the ground, square your shoulders, and focus your gaze like a hawk eyein' its prey. A solid stance will give you the stability you need to shoot true and fast.

And lastly, don't neglect your gear. Make sure your holster fits snug and allows for a smooth draw. A good holster can shave precious seconds off your time, makin' you quicker on the draw than a jackrabbit dartin' through the brush.

So there you have it, partner. With the right hammer, plenty of practice, a steady stance, and the proper gear, you'll be shootin' faster than a streak of lightning in no time. Just remember, speed ain't everything. Accuracy counts too, so always take your time to aim true before pullin' that trigger.

• Like 2

And, from what I have been told - every AI has a little bit different tone (we are using "Ask AI") - so even the same prompt will return differing results.

Ill have to quote it and see what ours returns just for giggles.

• Like 1

From Ask AI

I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying practicing and honing your shooting skills as an Old West enthusiast! Here are some tips and tricks that may help you shoot your Ruger Old Model Vaqueros in .38 Special a little faster:

1. **Practice, practice, practice**: Consistent practice is key to improving your speed and accuracy. Focus on building muscle memory and developing good shooting techniques.

2. **Grip and stance**: Ensure you have a proper grip on the gun and maintain a stable shooting stance. A good grip will help you control the recoil and minimize muzzle rise, allowing for faster follow-up shots.

3. **Smooth trigger control**: Work on your trigger control to ensure smooth and consistent trigger pulls. Jerking the trigger can lead to accuracy issues and slower shooting times.

4. **Shorten your trigger reset**: Work on minimizing the distance the trigger needs to travel to reset after each shot. This can help you take follow-up shots more quickly.

5. **Consider lighter springs**: Lightening the trigger and hammer springs can reduce the trigger pull weight, making it easier to shoot quickly. However, be cautious with this modification as it may affect the reliability of your revolver.

6. **Modified hammers**: Some shooters find that changing to a Blackhawk or Bisley hammer can improve their shooting speed due to the different shape and design of these hammers. These hammers may provide better access and leverage for faster cocking.

7. **Holster design**: Using a well-designed holster that allows for a smooth and quick draw can also help improve your shooting speed. Practice drawing from the holster to build muscle memory.

8. **Dry fire practice**: Practice dry firing your revolver to improve your trigger control, sight alignment, and overall shooting technique. This can be done safely at home and can help you focus on specific aspects of your shooting.

Remember, any modifications you make to your firearms should be done carefully and with consideration for safety and reliability. It's always a good idea to consult with experienced shooters or gunsmiths before making significant changes to your firearms. Keep practicing, stay safe, and enjoy your time at the range!

• Like 1

Same prompt with minor tweaking...

Well now, partner, if you're lookin' to quicken your draw and shoot like a true gunslinger with them .38 Special Old Model Vaqueros, you've come to the right cowboy! Let me tell ya, speed in cowboy action shootin' ain't just about how fast you can pull that iron from your holster. It's a combination of skill, practice, and a whole lotta grit.

First off, them Blackhawk and Bisley hammers on them Vaqueros can make a real difference in how fast you can cock that hammer and fire. Some folks swear by the Bisley style for a smoother action, while others prefer the traditional Blackhawk. It's all about findin' what works best for you and practicin' with it.

Speaking of practice, ain't no substitute for puttin' in the time at the range. Work on your drawin' technique, aim, and trigger control until it's as natural as breathin'. Smooth is fast, they say, so focus on bein' smooth and accurate above all else.

Now, your leather rig can also play a part in how quick you can get that gun out and on target. Make sure your holster fits your Vaqueros just right and allows for a clean, quick draw. And don't forget about your stance – a solid, balanced stance can help you control the recoil and get back on target faster for follow-up shots.

So there you have it, partner. To get faster as a duelist shooter in cowboy action shootin', it's all about findin' the right gear, puttin' in the practice, and honin' your skills until you're as fast as greased lightning. Now go on and show 'em what you're made of out there on the range!

• Like 1

And the opposite of fast. I hit the first tombstone a couple of times but too low. I should have shot my left gun first at the larger tombstones - saving my right for the small targets. But I got them all down and had one for dump.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Yall been dealing with NIAA every time yall talk to Widder, so I don't see why AI is much differnt

The weather tomorrow will be loud and partially smoky.

The weather tomorrow will be smokey and kinda loud.

The weather tomorrow will be ..... 'tomorrow'.   I've not been programmed past midnight.  Sorri Partner.

..........Widderborg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

And don't forget the REAL scars from cuts on thumbs and fingers from sharp edge 97 bolts.

And calasis and sometimes a small blister from hard practice with pistols and SG.

I now put a bandaid on my thumb and finger when I dry fire practice to help eliminate some cuts when I 'bump' the edge

of the bolt.   The cuts don't hurt so much but its hard to practice with blood running down your hand (I take blood thinners).

..........Widder

A wear mittens

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

The weather tomorrow will be loud and partially smoky.

The weather tomorrow will be smokey and kinda loud.

The weather tomorrow will be ..... 'tomorrow'.   I've not been programmed past midnight.  Sorri Partner.

..........Widderborg

Told y'all. NIAA (No Intelligence At All).

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Lot’s of good information here. I don’t have any tips to add, because I’ve only been shooting (double) Duelist for six months. 

I will ask those that do - both eyes open, or shut one, or switch with each hand?  I’ve tried them all. I am cross-dominant, so I am right-handed but left-eye-dominant. I’ve blamed poor shooting on my left eye right hand dominance misfortune, but I’m not sure it matters. 

On 4/27/2024 at 5:58 PM, Tennessee River said:

Lot’s of good information here. I don’t have any tips to add, because I’ve only been shooting (double) Duelist for six months. 

I will ask those that do - both eyes open, or shut one, or switch with each hand?  I’ve tried them all. I am cross-dominant, so I am right-handed but left-eye-dominant. I’ve blamed poor shooting on my left eye right hand dominance misfortune, but I’m not sure it matters. 

I'm cross dominant also.  I solved the problem by shooting with both eyes closed. B)

Edited by Shooting Bull
  • Haha 5