SASS Wire Forum

New bullets?

Ellie uses 125s as well over 2.8gr Clays. No issue with knockdowns.

• Like 1

There is more to it than just projectile mass.  The type and amount of powder is important to too.

For .38 pistols many (I am one) use 105 gn and have no KD issues.  My wife shoots .32 H&R mag. using 78gn and rarely, if ever,  has a KD fail. 

Where the light bullet weights do become a problem at times is not with the knock-downs.  Rather it is when spotters improperly use  impact sound to call hits/misses, instead of actually seeing the impacts. 

The lighter mass bullets make much less impact ring on heavier static target plates.  My wife has had that frustrating problem a number of times with the little 78gn bullets. 

But if the targets are properly adjusted (most are), the 125gn will knock them down just fine, as long as you meet the SASS Power Factor standards.  

Edited by Dusty Devil Dale
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Copper Sean O Driscoll said:

I typically shoot 158 grain 38s.  Yesterday I was gifted 2000 125 grain bullets.  Is there any issue with the 125s and knock down targets.  We some times use them at the local matches 

I use the 125 grain over 3.5 grains of Cleanshot in my revolvers and rifle and have never had any issues with any knockdowns I have encountered in the 6 years I have been shooting.

TM

Edited by Texas Maverick
  • Like 1

If you're worried about the 125's not knocking down the targets, carry some 158's also just for that purpose. Many folks carry "knockdown" rounds that are only for knockdowns.

• Like 3

I've been using 125 gr over 3.0 grains of Titegroup for over 15 years.  Never had a problem with any knockdown as long as I hit it.  Same load for rifle and pistols.  The Texas Star will probably be the stiffest reactive target you may run across and this load handles it just fine.  

• Like 2

I've been using 125 grain bullets in 38 Special, and 100 grain bullets in 32-20 for years. Never had a problem knocking down a target, and they are less expensive as compared to 158 grain bullets.

• Like 1

I’ve been shooting 125 grain TC since starting back in ‘03..

loaded with 3.2 grains of TrailBoss in pistols 

and 3.6 grains of TrailBoss in rifle..

I have never had a knock down failure with either..

Justsayin’..:huh:

i also shoot 158s but i suspect we are in the minority really , i think far more shoot the 125s , i doubt you will sense a difference in the knock down - only in the recoil , thats why fast shooters shoot 38s and choose lighter bullets .............im not a fast shooter 

It's all about power factor. You can shoot light bullets fast of big bullets slow with the same result. The only way that you'll know is to chronograph your loads. I've found that any "legal" SASS ammo shot at properly set knockdowns will indeed fall. It really is that simple or take them out and try them. Good shootin'!!

• Like 3