SASS Wire Forum

Home prepared meals delivered

Has anyone tried these supposedly fresh meals like Home Fresh, Blue Apron, Home Chef etc.??  I see all kinds of ads and commercials for them. Just curious!

Thanks, Rye

They all seem tempting, but most tend to look like upgraded TV dinners of yesteryear.

image.png.c4036d17b718da1c65be70ee423fece5.png
I get all my Home Cooked meals delivered by my lovely bride. :wub:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

They all seem tempting, but most tend to look like upgraded TV dinners of yesteryear.

image.png.c4036d17b718da1c65be70ee423fece5.png
I get all my Home Cooked meals delivered by my lovely bride. :wub:

That's what I tend to think about these home fresh meals as well. They seem to good to be true!

BTW does you and lovely bride deliver to Ohio!!:P:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

When you break down the cost they are more expensive than eating out.

I'll have to agree with that! I've got a few places around here that have prepared meals that are great! I just wondered about these delivery meals, I'm lazy!:lol:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I'll have to agree with that! I've got a few places around here that have prepared meals that are great! I just wondered about these delivery meals, I'm lazy!:lol:

You still have to cook them yourself. All they do is provide the ingredients and a fancy recipe card.  ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I did some years ago.  The problem I had was that I didn’t choose the meals and by the time I learned about the deadline for selecting, the discounted meals were no more and I cancelled it.

My daughter used a different service when grandson was home and he prepared the meals. She liked it. Then he went to college and her house remodel took over the kitchen.

• Like 3

My wife and I tried “Hello Fresh” meals in SoCal. These were meals you prepared using their ingredients and recipe card. What was nice is I got to try some meals I never would have tried on my own or in a restaurant, like Korean Beef Bulgogi. Strange name but very tasty. 
It seemed like after we were an established customer our meals came with sub-par ingredients. Old or wilted veggies. Meats where the expiration date was conveniently covered or removed. And that ended our use for them. It very well could have been the franchisee trying to save a buck.

Meals ready to eat or home prepared and delivered meals kind of gives me the creeps. I have no idea who handled what and how. I have no idea if the meat was fresh enough or that added taste and tender texture is due to turning meat. <_<

I refuse to buy Door Dash or Uber Eats. I have seen some of the people that handle foods for those services. I wouldn’t let some of near me let alone handle my food.  
I have a niece that did Door Dash for extra money. This is a girl that slobs would stay clear of. Her car smells of rotting cabbage and old air fresheners. 
Uh-uh, no way Jose! 
How she got these gigs I will never know but if they’ll let her drive for them and handle food I do not want their service. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Pat Riot said:

My wife and I tried “Hello Fresh” meals in SoCal. These were meals you prepared using their ingredients and recipe card. What was nice is I got to try some meals I never would have tried on my own or in a restaurant, like Korean Beef Bulgogi. Strange name but very tasty. 
It seemed like after we were an established customer our meals came with sub-par ingredients. Old or wilted veggies. Meats where the expiration date was conveniently covered or removed. And that ended our use for them. It very well could have been the franchisee trying to save a buck.

Meals ready to eat or home prepared and delivered meals kind of gives me the creeps. I have no idea who handled what and how. I have no idea if the meat was fresh enough or that added taste and tender texture is due to turning meat. <_<

I refuse to buy Door Dash or Uber Eats. I have seen some of the people that handle foods for those services. I wouldn’t let some of near me let alone handle my food.  
I have a niece that did Door Dash for extra money. This is a girl that slobs would stay clear of. Her car smells of rotting cabbage and old air fresheners. 
Uh-uh, no way Jose! 
How she got these gigs I will never know but if they’ll let her drive for them and handle food I do not want their service. 

My son does door dash part time and he’s very careful handling the food. My friend who’s retired also does it part time and he’s also very careful handling the food orders. I’m sure there’s real slobs out there but I don’t think they’re the majority. Door Dash keeps tabs on you if you get a bunch of bad reviews. They’ll fire you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ive not , seeing them in the adds they look tempting but my past experiece with what the adds show compared to what you actually get makes me gunshy ,  

what my wife makes is always fresh and tasty , 

• Like 2

When Mrs. Lose was recovering from breast cancer surgery and chemo my daughter had Blue Plate, I believe they were sent to us. There was some prep work but they were pretty good meals. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We looked at them, looked at the ingredients, the recipe cards, and the price per meal.  Less than eating out,  but about 3 times the cost of doing it from scratch.   Even if you were to buy the containers of vegetables that are allready cut up you would be way ahead.  The only things to recommend them are the convenience for someone who is unable to hold a knife,  and the ability to try "exotic" dishes without having to buy lots of ingredients that you may never use again .

• Thanks 1

My daughter said the best thing was they included the exact spice mixed need to make the recipe. Personally I would consider that to be a drawback as there is never extra.

another thing I noted when I did use a service was that there was no provision for “one person meal”.  Which would never be cost effective anyway.

• Like 1

The one thing I still have from “Hello Fresh” is the recipe cards. I am going to have to unpack those. 

• Like 2

One service we did use for a while was "Imperfect Produce."  Fruit and vegetables that didn't meet supermarket standards for looks, or were excess.  Also odd cuts of fish or meat that were intended for restaurants but didn't meet the standards for weight or shape, packaged goods that were excess or on which the labels had been changed and the company wouldn't sell to stores.  Pretty good prices - off cuts of smoked salmon at about $2/lb, other fish at $4 or 5/lb, produce at about 2/3 or 1/2 supermarket price. It was good for about a year and a half, then we started getting a lot of "product not in stock" upon delivery, or something like "three shallots" ending up being 3 about the size of a hazelnut.  When we had three in a row where half the stuff that had been available when I ordered not show up because it was out of stock, and the delivery charge ended up doubling the cost of goods, we stopped.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

If laziness was an Olympic sport, you'd come in fourth, so you wouldn't have to step up to the podium.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

They always take shortcuts to increase margins. I spent a year working on a egg ranch after school. All the culls that had tumors or the feathers jad fallen out were sold to....drumroll......Swanson's. I wont eat a TV dinner to this day.

Edited by Doc Neeley
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Doc Neeley said:

They always take shortcuts to increase margins. I spent a year working on a egg ranch after school. All the culls that had tumors or the feathers jad fallen out were sold to....drumroll......Swanson's. I wont eat a TV dinner to this day.

Now there's something I could have done without the verification of!:lol:

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Has anyone tried these supposedly fresh meals like Home Fresh, Blue Apron, Home Chef etc.??  I see all kinds of ads and commercials for them. Just curious!

Thanks, Rye

I never imagined such a thing. My old farm girl cooks. Closest service I get is "shut up and eat it". 

59df3bca55e53_ApplepieOct2017.jpg.ddb0d52a7af919bb920c17efe89b72ee.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

If laziness was an Olympic sport, you'd come in fourth, so you wouldn't have to step up to the podium.

....................... that be me ....  :blush:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2