SASS Wire Forum

How to store shotgun ?

Show Me

The reason I'm asking this I have a bakial  double barrel ,right Barrel started not to fire the experts said firing pin spring was weak I took it apart and wound a 50 thou. diameter hard springy type wire for a spacer now shoots good I wondered if it wouldn't be better to store after pulling triggers to leave less tension on Springs what you think

5 hours ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

Get a set of snap caps. 

Pit them in the Barrels, pull triggers put away.

Doing it with snap caps takes tension off of springs.

Don't snap them without snap caps. If you do will mushroom firing pins.

this was my first thought as well , but even if you dont go with snap caps relieve the spring tension when stored , they are a center fire item it wont hurt them to fire on an empty chamber to relieve the tension on the springs .....i do it all the time , never had an issue , i dont like leaving disimilar metals in my chabers during storage , but then thats me - do as you see fit , but take the tension off those springs to extend the life - my shotgun is over 20 years old and ive had almost no issues [save for a cleaning issue ] all original springs and such , 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

Howdy Show,

I don't know about Baikal models, but on some doubles, if you hold both triggers back while closing the action (empty) the hammers will not be cocked when the action is closed. Then release the triggers. That has worked for me on double trigger guns.

Rev. Chase

Just tried that on my Baikal.  Seems to work.  There was a very light click when one trigger was pulled, no sound when the 2nd trigger was pulled.  Then when the action is closed, they are not cocked.  

Let's see... I have a Stoeger I bought in 1986 for cowboy action... been storing it upright, action closed in the safe ever since.  It still has the factory springs installed.  Yeah, they may give out the next time I use it... but... why overthink it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

Get a set of snap caps. 

Pit them in the Barrels, pull triggers put away.

Doing it with snap caps takes tension off of springs.

Don't snap them without snap caps. If you do will mushroom firing pins.

+1 What he said....

After I'm done cleaning one of my Stoeger hammerless shotguns I pull the triggers and put em in the safe. No problems for 25 years or more!

Edited by Rye Miles #13621
  • Like 2

ah , there is that issue of the single trigger item , i have to defer to those that shoot them , i only ever have shot two triggers on my doubles , but i have been told since the mid 50s not to leave tension on my springs , and yet i have more than one friend that say leaving a magazine loaded for decades is not a problem , the loading and release are what they are designed to do , its the other activities that stress them , 

i did get a few 1911 mags that had been loaded for decades - when i used them they worked fine these dated to 1918 , i also have mags that were loaded for decades that worked just fine that dated to 1968 , i knew the people that i got them from and they were not the type to do anything but leave them ly , the rifle . handgun and shotgun springs i release - its how i was raised , 

• Like 1

Release the forend grip to unload the cooking levers.  Close the shotgun and replace the forend.  Springs will be unloaded.  

At least on my Stoeger, you can't get the foregrip back on if the hammers aren't cocked. I try to be careful when cleaning, not to pull the triggers. They are a bear to cock on the edge of the bench! Maybe I'm doing something wrong!:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Howdy Eyesa,

My experience with the cocking levers is the same, right down to using the edge of the bench. There is one other solution which I employ most of the time. It's quite simple. Shoot Classic Cowboy and then let the shotgun's external hammers down with you thumb before you put the gun away. 

Rev. Chase

• Like 1

I have been shooting my double trigger Stoeger since 2003..

When I am done shooting a match.. I go to my stagecoach..

Close my Stoeger.. pull both triggers and put it in the case..

No muss.. no fuss.. no worry..

Just sayin..

• Like 2

6 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

Springs have a life measured in cycles. Leaving them compressed will not shorten the life. Repeatedly cycling them uses them up.

So, what you are saying is that my lack of practice is actually good for my shotgun springs?  Good to know!  :)

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Rance - SASS # 54090 said:

I have been shooting my double trigger Stoeger since 2003..

When I am done shooting a match.. I go to my stagecoach..

Close my Stoeger.. pull both triggers and put it in the case..

No muss.. no fuss.. no worry..

Just sayin..

me too , 

i sometimes have it in a soft case for extended times but generally in a hard case locked up .

12 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

At least on my Stoeger, you can't get the foregrip back on if the hammers aren't cocked. I try to be careful when cleaning, not to pull the triggers. They are a bear to cock on the edge of the bench! Maybe I'm doing something wrong!:rolleyes:

Good to know.  Thank you.  

That leaves the snap caps as probably the best plan for guns like you described.  

I once deliberately tried to soften Ruger Vaquero hammer springs by leaving them cocked.  It did "soften" them, but the fatigue was not the same as getting a lighter spring.  The spring response time was greatly lengthened to where I had to literally wait for the hammer to fall, and hope it would ignite primers.  

I learned a cheap lesson.  

But the lesson won't be so cheap on a shotgun.  I would put in snap caps and decompress the springs by firing.

Edited by Dusty Devil Dale