SASS Wire Forum

Recomendations for a Quigley Match rifle - 45-70 or 45-???

Tracker Jim

Howdy,

I'm interested in setting up a rifle for shooting in Quigley matches, and maybe The Quigley match out West if I get good enough at it. I have a couple of questions for the folks who know about such things - what rifle & caliber?

I'm interested in the Browning 1885 High Wall in 45-70, though I've been outbid on all of them so far (I have a couple of Browning BLRs and am partial to the brand). Is this a good place to start, and is there an advantage to the 30" barrel over the 28" when trying to push it out to 800+ yards? If not, would a Sharps be better, and by what company?

I'm planning to buy a 45-70, but is there an advantage in long range shooting to reaming the chamber out to 45-90 through 45-120?

I'd appreciate any and all info, links, advice, etc.

See some of you at the Ides of March this weekend!

Edited by Tracker Jim

As a side note, and a sad one, I got an Email earlier today, which I unfortunately deleted.  Apparently the founder and landowner of the Forsyth, MT Quigley match passed away.   You may want to check the status of that match.

Thanks for the information - I hadn't heard anything about it. Sorry to hear the founder passed away, I never met him but he created something very interesting. I'll keep my eye on it, and hopefully they keep it running as a memorial to him. I was looking more to compete in next year's match - but if they announce this being the last year I may have to move things up (if possible).

I'm still interested in the rifle either way.

i hadnt heard that either , thats sad , ive heard great things of that match and dreamed i might attend one day , id never be a competitor but sure would like the experience of doing it once 

45-70 is sufficient. 45-90 or 110 is “cooler” but brass hard to find.  
I have a Shiloh Sharps. I love it. There are some who think a center hammer model like the 1885 or rolling block is inherently more accurate than a side hammer Sharps. Either will serve you well. 
very important to not scrimp on sights.  MVA or Kelley would be my preference. Lee Shaver are also very good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

As a side note, and a sad one, I got an Email earlier today, which I unfortunately deleted.  Apparently the founder and landowner of the Forsyth, MT Quigley match passed away.   You may want to check the status of that match.

Al's family said the shoot will continue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

My wife has no problems shooting her Shiloh Sharps Hartford Model in .45-70 at the Q.

I use a Shiloh #1 in .45-90. 

You can only use black powder at the Q.

I'm no stranger to the holy black - I've been shooting Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter for years and love it, especially the "King of Kaboom" class a few years back running full power .45 Colt & 12-Gauge BP loads. Stepping it up to 45-70 or larger just seems like a natural progression to me.

31163143_1619736911478101_4273686463192760320_n.jpg

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

My wife has no problems shooting her Shiloh Sharps Hartford Model in .45-70 at the Q.

I use a Shiloh #1 in .45-90. 

You can only use black powder at the Q.

Their website states, any safe powder charge, smokeless, black, substitute or duplex. 

I have a uberti 1885 highwall, and my son has a trapdoor,  both un 45/70, sights are a big thing as I'm learning, I've never been there before, so we're going to give it a go this year.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JP McLintock said:

Their website states, any safe powder charge, smokeless, black, substitute or duplex. 

I have a uberti 1885 highwall, and my son has a trapdoor,  both un 45/70, sights are a big thing as I'm learning, I've never been there before, so we're going to give it a go this year.

You are correct, my mistake. 

SORRY! -_-

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You are correct, my mistake. 

SORRY! -_-

Just didnt want to steer someone down the wrong road.

• Thanks 1

I have owned and loved a lot of 1874 Sharps rifles made by C Sharps, Shilo Sharps and Pedersoli Sharps rifles over the last 45 years , in several calibers,45-90 ,45-110, 40-65, and 45-70. they all shot VERY well, always black powder and always hand crafted lead bullets. I have done very well in competition with them but I have settled on one rifle that I shoot exclusively now, the Pedersoli 1874 Sharps Quigley, heavy 34” barrel. In 45-70. If you plan on shooting out to 1000 yards I highly recommend this rifle and this caliber. PM me for the loads I use and if you can find one I highly recommend this rifle.

Edited by Silver Creek Jack

Shiloh makes some very fine rifles!  I have a Browning 1885 BPCR in both .45-70 and .40-65.  I'd suggest you take a look at a BPCR in .45-70.  Super rifles and come with high quality vernier sights that should be good for your purposes.  As I recall, they were all made with top quality Badger barrels.  Mine shoots great! 

On 3/13/2024 at 5:42 PM, Rip Snorter said:

The email I got from Buffalo Arms has the 2024 Quigley match flyer, so it looks like it's still on.

• Thanks 1

I used to shoot a lot of BCPR silhouette.  Those competitions only went out to 600 yards but I have also shot some 1000 yard matches.  

There will be a lot more loading information for the 45-70.  Brass will be much easier to find and a lot cheaper.  Like someone above stated, do not skimp on the sights. 

I have a Dixie Gun Works Silhouette Rifle that was made by Pedersoli.  Great rifle with a 30 inch barrel.  I think the longer barrel helps at distance. 

At the few Quigley matches I attended, the 1874 sharps was by far the most popular rifle but that could be that they are more popular because of the movie.   

Paul A. Matthews has a number of great books on the subject. 

3 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Shoulder friendly, brass is everywhere, less powder burned, more load data, more rifles available. 45-70.

Posters say SHiloh SHarps or C SHarps but unless things have changed they're 18 months back order */-

Unless they have one in inventory that someone didn't complete the purchase on.   I know a couple of folks that found just what they were looking for hanging on Shiloh's wall.  One that I know of, made a trip from western Washington state to Big Timber after putting a deposit on it... picked it up the next day.  They don't currently show any on their website, but might be worth a call... 

I have a Pedersoli Quigley rifle chambered in 45-120 that is very accurate and a blast to shoot once you figure out how to load for it. The 45-120 brass is expensive and difficult to locate so it is hard to recommend this caliber. 45-70 brass is available everywhere.

I did the reverse, I ordered the rifle for hunting and not CAS.  Having used the Shiloh Sharps for big game, I an tell you that the 45-70 is more than adequate for hunting purposes.  Mule deer and cow elk were relocated from the field to the freezer.    Then one day I started practicing at  greater distances and remember thinking, hey this is fun!  So now my  Shiloh Sharps 1874 Business rifle in 45-70 fills both needs and it may not be a Quigley but it is all I need with a 30 inch barrel that is round and octagon.

Model1874BusinessRifle.45-70CaliberSerial5162B.thumb.JPG.08798630d6de9a4d03e95e9d1b97a320.JPG

• Like 1