SASS Wire Forum

New Winchester .22 lever action

Apparently, Winchester is introducing a new lever action .22 rifle in the $400 price range.

https://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/ranger/ranger.html

It certainly *looks* a lot like the old 9422, but that designation is not used, nor is there any reference to that model on the website.   It's got an aluminum frame.  I assume it's as much a cost cutting measure as anything.

I am not sure of what to think about it.   I think it's great that they are coming out with such a gun, but the aluminum frame gives me pause.   And I am no fan of the front sight, but I didn't "like" them on the old 9422 either, but learned to live with them.  I hope it is a success.  

Would I buy one?   Tough question.  I've already got a a pair of 9422's, and an Uberti 66 .22, (and a Colt Lightning) so I don't know if I really have a use for one.   I'd not out an out refuse one.   I guess I'd have to hold one in my hands and get a feel for it.

• Like 2

I like the look of it and I like the "take down" option for cleaning and transport.  The aluminum receiver doesn't give me any pause on a 22.  The Henry rimfire rifles and the Ruger 10/22 both use aluminum receivers and I have never experienced or even heard of this being an issue.  

• Like 1

I've got a 1970 made Mossberg 500 shotgun, 12 gauge 3" magnum, running now 50 years, aluminum receiver (but the action locks into a steel barrel extension).  Runs as smooth and tight as it ever did. 

With a proper  design, aluminum works fine in a receiver - EXCEPT for the fact that scratches, modifications, damage usually means a paint/coating of the repair since you can't cold or hot blue it.  At least the lever (a part that works hard) is steel.    If AL receiver lets Winchester (probably Miroku) make a gun that can compete price wise with a Henry with an aluminum frame, so be it.

good luck, GJ

• Like 1

It don't look bad .

It's about time they come out with something to compete with Henry and the other manufacturers .

It will never be a heirloom like the 9422.

But nether will the Henry's or the others .

Rooster 

• Like 2

im probably going to pass as i have an older 9422 , but it does look very similar and i hope anyone who gets one lets us know how they like it , it does look like a nice option to the henry 

I'll probably get one and see what I can do with it.

When the video showed it apart, the bolt and carrier seemed to be like the Henry.   Sooooooo, lets see what we can

do to it.

..........Widder

• Like 1

I am sure we will have one come through the shop soon and will report on it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'd get one, my Buckaroo Grandson (and his Buckaroo mate) uses my (getting on to vintage) 9422 that I have owned for 45 years and soon my soon to be Buckarette Granddaughter will be using it. I'd like to retire it from competition. 

• Like 1