SASS Wire Forum

Reloading press unneeded mod?

What after market modification or accessory on your reloading press that you found not needed or worth the cost?

Powder warning thingy, I can see the powder container, it's right in front of me!

• Like 3

Large plastic bags serve well as press covers.  Most Uniquetek products work as advertised.  My favorite upgrades are spent primer catch accessories that reduce or eliminate spent primers landing on the floor.

Edited by Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971
  • Like 2

The DILLON 650 will work well without any "upgrades."  However, the "Hit Factor" package and the Armanov Index bearing really really improve the "smooth."  Well worth the money.

1 hour ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

Electric primer tube filler. 

I bought mine used so maybe I shouldn't knock it before I try a new one but I gave up on it. I could load them just as fast myself as that unreliable thing...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

I like the roller handle on my 550 instead of the ball and I really like the LED light kit I added.

I didn't like the roller handle but I REALLY like the LED light that goes in the round hole/middle of the block.

I didn't like the strong mounts either. had to use a stool type chair (uncomfortable). Remounted to the bench and use an armless office chair instead.

5 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I didn't like the roller handle but I REALLY like the LED light that goes in the round hole/middle of the block.

I didn't like the strong mounts either. had to use a stool type chair (uncomfortable). Remounted to the bench and use an armless office chair instead.

My LED light kit is a series of small lights that are installed with sticky back in a U shape on the underside of the frame with the open end where the tool head slides in.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

What after market modification or accessory on your reloading press that you found not needed or worth the cost?

The ones I don't have!  Surprisingly, (or not), what accessories I installed on one 550, I've also installed on the other.

Edited by Griff

4 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Large plastic bags serve well as press covers.  Most Uniquetek products work as advertised.  My favorite upgrades are spent primer catch accessories that reduce or eliminate spent primers landing on the floor.

Use a pillow case instead. 

Plastic bag traps moisture. ;)

I love the roller handle and LED light on my D/550.

2 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Use a pillow case instead. 

Plastic bag traps moisture. ;)

I love the roller handle and LED light on my D/550.

I live in a desert-no moisture to trap.  Pillow case is a good idea.

• Like 1

I found that I really dislike the Dillon powder check system with it's constant chirping.  I have replaced it with the RCBS Lockout die on my pistol dies.  Much quieter and makes sure I don't have a double charge or no charge.  It only works on straight wall cartridges so I still have to use the Dillon powder check chirper on the bottle neck rifle rounds like .223.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Bullet/case feeders. Standard on the 900, excess complication on a 550.

One of the best things I ever installed on a 550 was a case feeder.  Works great and really speeds up the reloading of pistol rounds.