SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron 1887 or Stoeger Coach Gun?

Prices are similar now. Stoeger coach guns can be hard to find in stock. The Cimarron 1887 shotgun is currently readily available, but relatively new with unknown durability. Parts from Stoeger are difficult to find in stock. I imagine there is little or no parts availability for the Cimarron 1887 shotgun.

Pros and cons of each for shooting SASS matches?

Sounds like you need to get to a match and try some stuff.

The Cimarron  1887 is nice and well built, BUT they don’t come from the factory with the ability to load 2; that would probably be VERY frustrating on the clock.

I personally wouldn’t trust a new Stoeger, but that’s me(reports of lugs breaking).

I’d suggest going to a match and see if anyone has one available; or borrow til you find what you like.  Or find one in the classifieds here OR merchants corner. Barleycorn posted a CZ recently that are pretty nice.

Thats my unsolicited opinion.

OH and Welcome to the FUN!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mossy Horn Gent said:

I am looking for a backup for my IAC 1897 pump.

Guess I should’ve read more of your other posts.  

I’d go 87 over the Stoeger, because you can use it in ALL categories. I would send it to Slater or Lassiter though and have them fix it to Load Two easily.

• Thanks 1

Well, they say that it takes longer to master an '87.  But also, if you have a top 'smith work on the '87 it will probably be about as good as an '87 can get, but if you have a top 'smith work on a Stoeger, it is still just a Stoeger and not an SKB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I shoot a 87 in classic category they are alot of fun but if you don't stay with it and practice they can be frustrating. My son uses a stoeger and I started with a stoeger never had any problems with ours. If you get a 87 I would send it off to lassiter for his two shot drop. You will not regret it.

• Thanks 1

I shot a Stoeger SxS for about 7 years.  It was all slicked up and I thought it worked pretty good.  Then someone loaned me a Fast Eddie SKB.  DO NOT borrow a Fast Eddie SKB if you want to keep shooting cheap shotguns.  It'll never be the same.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I shot a Stoeger SxS for about 7 years.  It was all slicked up and I thought it worked pretty good.  Then someone loaned me a Fast Eddie SKB.  DO NOT borrow a Fast Eddie SKB if you want to keep shooting cheap shotguns.  It'll never be the same.  

That's why I'm still happy with the Baikal I've had for 24 years - I've never borrowed an SKB!  (But I am thinking about it) :)

• Haha 1

Why Not Both ? 

I just picked up my 87 from Barleycorn Outfitters off the SASS Wire .

Keeping right here at home doing business with other Cowboys. 

IMG_20240302_162721_594.jpg

IMG_20240302_162721_613.jpg

20240302_154614.jpg

20240302_153924.jpg

Posted (edited)

I appreciate the comments.

Please keep in mind, I am looking for a backup for my IAC 97 pump. If I wanted to spend $1000+, I would get a slicked up 1897.

Seems there would be a learning curve for the 1887.

I also have reservations about the current Stoeger coach gun quality control.

Anyone have any experience with the new Turkish made Charles Daly 500 coach guns?

Edited by Mossy Horn Gent

1 hour ago, Mossy Horn Gent said:

Seems there would be a learning curve for the 1887.

There is a definite learning curve for shooting an 1887.

1887 train wrecks are epic. :D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

You are looking at close to a year of shoots to get good with an ‘87.

Figure the cost of sending it to Lassiter if you want to be at all competitive with it.  The difference between the gun from Coyote Cap and Lassiter's work was night and day.  He will improve the new guns just as much.

You will be faster with a double, but you will have a lot more fun with an ‘87, especially with black powder.

• Like 1

I'm a double guy that shoots duelist and have been shooting for over 25 years.  Last April I wanted a single trigger Stoeger to take the place of my double trigger Stoeger.  I found one on GB and when it arrived, it was stiff!  I smoothed it up and it worked pretty well.  Then it started to open up after the first shot.  Luckily I live near Johnny Meadows.  He took it home and did some fitting to the locking luggs and the latch that engages them.  I've shot it in about 3 monthlys and so far it  runs great.  It is certainly not an SKB or a Browning, but for a short barreled coach gun that I don't have to worry about, it gets the job done.  BTW, my double trigger Stoeger is still running strong, I just wanted a single trigger 20" coach gun.

11 hours ago, Rillito Red said:

You will be faster with a double, but you will have a lot more fun with an ‘87, especially with black powder.

You will be faster with what you practice with.

An 87 in the hands of someone that puts in the practice is just as fast as a shooter that puts in the practice with a double or a 97. 

Here is Smokestack firing 4 rounds in under 4 seconds.

https://youtu.be/FnslmR5ePAY?si=hRJkqEq5LIdyU5nY

Edited by Sedalia Dave
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I started SASS with a brand new PW87, I chose to shoot CC and that gun met all the rules, cool being one of them. I slicked it up myself, runs like a train, zero issues even with no drop 2, I learned to overcome. Have a CZ Coach as a backup gun!
just bought a brand spanking new Cimarron 87, man, it’s smooth as butter, very well finished. I imagine I won’t Need to buy another shotgun for quite some time. BTW I shoot black powder in all my guns. 

IMG_6738.jpeg

IMG_6741.jpeg

IMG_6737.jpeg

• Like 2

I shoot a PW87 done by Lassiter .

I can't wait to see his work on these .

Mine works great tock straight out of the box .

IMG_20170630_082825_433.thumb.jpg.445341872564a5c625757f0843817546.jpg

• Like 1

My vote would be an 87. In my opinion, all things being equal with practice and being slicked up, an 87 is the best of both worlds between a double and a 97 with reload time, plus I just love the cha-chink of the lever. 

• Like 1