SASS Wire Forum

Why Sailors Drink

what they drank:

WW2 [til 1943):  Once the ethyl alcohol was collected from the MK14 torpedo, it still tasted like pure grain spirit. To counteract this, they would simply mix it with a 2:3 ratio of pineapple juice to make it enjoyable. The creation came to be known as Torpedo Juice.

1943 - end of WW2 Mk18 torpedo (electrical torpedo) - to overcome the lack of Torpedo alcohol, sailors had to resort to stealing other forms of alcohol, the communications guys using denatured alcohol to clean equipment. And medics carried a different type to disinfect wounds.

Homemade:  If you’d like to create this at home, simply get your hands on 180 proof Everclear and pop open a can of pineapple juice [2:3 ratio]

retail vendor

Torpedo Juice Pineapple Vodka — Oregon Grain Growers Brand Distillery

Edited by Dr. Zook
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/21/2024 at 9:08 PM, Dr. Zook said:

what they drank:

WW2 [til 1943):  Once the ethyl alcohol was collected from the MK14 torpedo, it still tasted like pure grain spirit. To counteract this, they would simply mix it with a 2:3 ratio of pineapple juice to make it enjoyable. The creation came to be known as Torpedo Juice.

1943 - end of WW2 Mk18 torpedo (electrical torpedo) - to overcome the lack of Torpedo alcohol, sailors had to resort to stealing from the communications guys using denatured alcohol to clean equipment.

Homemade:  If you’d like to create this at home, simply get your hands on 180 proof Everclear and pop open a can of pineapple juice [2:3 ratio]

retail vendor

Torpedo Juice Pineapple Vodka — Oregon Grain Growers Brand Distillery

Denatured alcohol is ethyl mixed with methyl to make it more toxic.  Filtering it through a loaf of bread to remove the methyl alcohol is a wife's tail.  Distilation will separate them.  However impurities will be left in the liquid.

I think it’s odd that one guy is leaning 45 degrees while everyone else is leaning about 20 degrees. :lol:
Maybe the guy in the foreground was drinking. ;)

By the way, getting caught with alcohol aboard my ship was good for 90 days restriction. That means no leaving the ship at all for 90 days. That usually came with EMI (extra military instruction) for 2-2.5 hours every evening. An example of EMI duties: scrubbing bilges, polishing brass, chipping paint and painting and a variety of other fun duties. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J.D. Daily said:

Denatured alcohol is ethyl mixed with methyl to make it more toxic.  Filtering it through a loaf of bread to remove the methyl alcohol is a wife's tail.  Distillation will separate them.  However impurities will be left in the liquid.

Absolutely correct, the Navy also tried Croton oil amongst other chemicals to try to get sailors to not drink the torpedo fuel.

Reference:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torpedo_juice

Does anyone have the recipe for "bug juice" ?

• Like 2

If you were on a cruise and hadn't been in port for 45 (?) days, you got a ration of two beers. Trouble was it was Budwieser, contained formaldehyde (to keep it from going bad), and you had to swim out to the Captain's gig to get the beer (we were in the middle of the Indian Ocean).

I didn't like Budwieser, can't swim worth a darn, and formaldehyde- really. 

No beer for me.

BS

1 hour ago, Dr. Zook said:

Absolutely correct, the Navy also tried Croton oil amongst other chemicals to try to get sailors to not drink the torpedo fuel.

Reference:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torpedo_juice

Does anyone have the recipe for "bug juice" ?

My brother in-law told me bug juice was made with water, any fruit available and sugar.  I don't know if baker's yeast is added.  The concoction was placed above the ovens in the galley & left until the bubbling stopped.  On the Ranger he packed parachutes & filled aircraft oxygen tanks as well as occasionally hitching a ride on an A3.  He became the chief of his section when the previous chief was given a section 8 for using a tug to destroy a geisha house.  With my brother in-law you have to take his stories with a grain of salt.  He is prone to embellish his stories.

31 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

With my brother in-law you have to take his stories with a grain of salt.  He is prone to embellish his stories.

A sailor embellishing his stories?!?!

Say it ain't so!

• Haha 1

Why Sailors Drink ?

Screenshot_20240224_234518_Photos.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

I think it’s odd that one guy is leaning 45 degrees while everyone else is leaning about 20 degrees. :lol:

It looks like a little bit of horizon in the upper right corner. If you use that to adjust the photo to account for that, the lean isn't quite so much (yellow 'L' thrown in for reference to vertical).

I wonder, though -- if the ship really has that much roll, it doesn't seem as if it would be reasonable for people to be out on the weather decks, unless the roll is somehow a controlled evolution.

ETA: Looking at the uniform, I don't think this is U.S. -- where the sailor in the foreground's 'crow' would be on his sleeve appears to be three hash marks, which would be E3 in the U.S. Navy. But IIRC, E3 and below didn't wear any marks on the left sleeve of dungaree shirts when this style of dungaree was uniform wear. Plus his hair is a bit long.

sailorleaning.thumb.jpg.18af23dc29be20194815452404f0c6ac.jpg

Edited by Ozark Huckleberry
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

It looks like a little bit of horizon in the upper right corner. If you use that to adjust the photo to account for that, the lean isn't quite so much (yellow 'L' thrown in for reference to vertical).

I wonder, though -- if the ship really has that much roll, it doesn't seem as if it would be reasonable for people to be out on the weather decks, unless the roll is somehow a controlled evolution.

ETA: Looking at the uniform, I don't think this is U.S. -- where the sailor in the foreground's 'crow' would be on his sleeve appears to be three hash marks, which would be E3 in the U.S. Navy. But IIRC, E3 and below didn't wear any marks on the left sleeve of dungaree shirts when this style of dungaree was uniform wear. Plus his hair is a bit long.

sailorleaning.thumb.jpg.18af23dc29be20194815452404f0c6ac.jpg

Good Call!

We would work topside in heavy swells. If seas got too heavy the foc’sle would be secured. Then if it got really bad the entire main deck would be secured. 

That picture really isn’t good enough for details, but to me the guy in the foreground is a First Class Petty Officer (E-6). 
I thought it was odd that one guy to the rear is wearing what appear to be sneakers. 
Regarding the hair, hair standards depend on the command at sea. I know that our hair standards got a little lax while at sea, but there’s no way that guy would leave the ship in port until he got his hair squared away. 

• Like 1

Back in the long ago time, some sailors wore their insignia on the right arm while others wore it on the left. It depended on what their job was.

Is it still like that?

I know it was like this back during World War II. I was curious when I noticed that some of McHale's men wore it on the right, so researched it.

gruber_mchales_navy_1962-jpg.51338

Daddy wore his on the left. Of course, Daddy was an Airedale. Probably not a whole lot of Airedales on a PT boat.

• Like 1

IIRC long term sea duty without might cause one to overindulge on shore leave ...unless you had a wife or GF then you also might overindulge , my wife is a navy brat - 5 kids spaced out on leave by a submariner , thank you george , you gave me the best friend i ever could have imagined , 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2024 at 11:14 AM, Alpo said:

Back in the long ago time, some sailors wore their insignia on the right arm while others wore it on the left. It depended on what their job was.

Is it still like that?

No, not sure when it ended but it was some time after WW2. 
I was a Gunners Mate. That would have been a “right arm rate”. 
I used to know what ratings were right arm rates but I no longer recall that. I am pretty sure they were all “combat” ratings but I may be wrong. 

@Alpo Lookie what I found:

At the bottom of page 2 on this link. 
https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Portals/55/Navy Uniforms/Documents/FAQ Resources/FAQsUniformHistory.pdf?ver=ZTV9-iNKq1LmRxBUUlgejw%3d%3d

RIGHT ARM RATES--established in 1841 and disestablished 2 April 1949, originally
signified men of the Seaman branch. During WWII these rates included Boatswains
Mate, Turret Captain, Signalman, Gunners Mate, Fire Controlman, Quartermaster,
Mineman, and Torpedomans Mate. Other ratings wore rates on the left sleeve.

• Thanks 1