SASS Wire Forum

Old School Copiers

Wouldn't "old school" be a bunch of guys sitting around with ink, pens and paper?  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Griff said:

Wouldn't "old school" be a bunch of guys sitting around with ink, pens and paper?  

Pretty sure that is referred to as showing your age when that’s your point of reference. 

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, Buckshot Sheridan said:

Pretty sure that is referred to as showing your age when that’s your point of reference. 

But, since you know to what I refer, the same inference can be made, no?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

all i can remember of "old vcopirers" os the mimeograph machines the nuns used at st patricks through eighth grade , there was nothing like that smell when they handeed them out - not sure what that was but it always dulled the fact that we had just got another assignment , thats the first reproduction equipment i remember 

• Like 2

My best friend's mother was an elementary school teacher.  After she retired  in the 1960s she sent out a monthly mimeograph newsletter letter to family and friends.  They came to be known as the "purple horror", a name she thoroughly enjoyed.

Edited by J-BAR #18287
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Griff said:

But, since you know to what I refer, the same inference can be made, no?

I just still had the sense not to make it public. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

I started my teaching career in 1976 with these "beasts"!  When I retired, all the teachers were lectured by the administration for making too many photocopies.

Do you remember, as I do, that one of the early justifications for getting computers was they would eliminate paperwork??

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

In the early 1970's, at Republican HQ (Char-Meck) there were three people allowed to touch the mimeograph machine.  I was one of them.

• Thanks 1

i sorta miss these old machines , but i recall when the "zerox" machines took over it was a good thing , i had the experience of "blue prints" being produced by a modern version of this at the end of my career , could produce any size and all were extremely detailed , we have come so far ....

i was the guy running the blue print machine in the engineering department at a major international company when i was in high school along with doing a bit of drafting  , in those days we fed it with liquid ammonia that was stored in the plant and i had to fill the bottles to bring up and feed it , that was one of the worst things my job entailed , no PPE in 1965 , 

the blue prints were the ones with blue lines on white paper tho not the white lines on the blue background of the 50s and before , 

also learned to draft with ink on vellum , instead of pencil on paper , it printed better , i never quite got to drafting on a computer ....other than some quick communications at the end of my career , sending a detailed drawing in an email ....its amazing where we have come in my lifetime , 

much like my grandparents that saw the late 1890s to the 1960s & 70s , one has to just sit and reflect a bit on all of it , 

• Like 3

J-Bar, computers just doubled our work at school.  Not only did grades and lesson plans have to be written out, but they also had to be entered on the computer in a different format.  The wife and I always kept an "old school" grade book and lesson planner because several times a year the whole school computer system would "crash and burn".  The younger teachers who didn't even bother to print a copy of what was on the computer, would become suicidal. 

• Haha 2

"....Xerox owned all of the patents for their process...."

thats why we call it a zerox copy and why we buy Kleenex and so many others , but everyone knows there are a lot of other big names that were in the industry ...i think there was a time when the recording industry had a name thing like that but i cant recall what it was at this ["biden"] moment in time 

5 hours ago, watab kid said:

"....Xerox owned all of the patents for their process..

thats why we call it a zerox copy and why we buy Kleenex and so many others , but everyone knows there are a lot of other big names that were in the industry ...i think there was a time when the recording industry had a name thing like that but i cant recall what it was at this ["biden"] moment in time 

"Victrola"?  RCA Victor's tradename for a phonograph, which became so commonly used that it became "generic"?  The curse of a successful product, whose name becomes an equivalent in the market for the product, regardless of who made it.

LL

On 2/14/2024 at 6:50 AM, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

"Victrola"?  RCA Victor's tradename for a phonograph, which became so commonly used that it became "generic"?  The curse of a successful product, whose name becomes an equivalent in the market for the product, regardless of who made it.

LL

thats what i re,e,ber , my grandparents had one the played 78s - later my folks had the HI FI i remember that played 33s and 45s - my folks still had a lot of 78s from their parents collection , we also had a player piano with a lot of music rolls , i kinda remember dad was always fiddlin with the player piano .....but my brother learned [taught himseld] to play on it when we were very young , today he is quite the musician - me i couldn't even play the votrola well , 

I believe that to this day, there are snap in cartridges that will let some older 33 / 45 turntables play 78 rpm.  Though I have one and a bunch of my folks 78s, I haven't used it in a very long time.  Part of the issue is the groove  and needle matchup.

i remember the adapter and i remember the turntables that had the options of speed , our 78s and 45s are long gone before i divested my 33s [all but the ones of my families recordings ] i no longer have any others and nothing t play them on , im looking for my brother to put them on a CD i can play , 

the stuff on those records are my father , my brother [playing] ,and my sister [singing] id like to have that for my kids that actually got to see them perform on multiple occasions , but probably dont remember as they were very young ,