SASS Wire Forum

Red Dot users

Tall John

13 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I thought this was going to be about modern sights.

Ha Ha Me too!!!:lol:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I thought this was going to be about modern sights.

7 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Ha Ha Me too!!!:lol:

Me as well. I was actually thinking “I have never heard of this brand of sight before.”

I also thought “An 8 pound red dot is bizarrely heavy.” And then the light went on. Duh…

15 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Been Unobtanium for quite awhile, same as 5744.

5744 is a powder I have been looking for for several years now. 
Recently, twice I got excited because I thought I had found it.
At a gun show I went to with my nephew I spotted a 5744 bottle about 75’ away as my nephew was regaling me with a story about something or other. I made a beeline for that vendor table only to hear “Oh it’s just a display bottle. It’s empty.”

I told the lady she shouldn’t display powder bottles unless she has it in stock. Grrrrrr

The other was the Hodgdon website. It didn’t tell they were out of stock until I started the process to buy some. :blink:

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

In Stock at:

Snip-it_1706795461825.thumb.jpg.59f0e7ae15655bbfa397f34abc8f7749.jpg

$37 a pound without HazMat and shipping. It’s better than $50 a pound like all the other powders I have bought recently. 

All I can say is...Don't trust Sportsmans Warehouse local store's website for correct stock inventory, there's a good chance you'll be making a wasted trip if you do. Call 1st. Learned the hard way and management could care less.

• Sad 1

This is a truly excellent powder on paper.  Suitable for revolver loads and short barrels.  I have Clays already so only watch this powder out of idle curiosity 

19 minutes ago, bgavin said:

This is a truly excellent powder on paper.

In the case too.

I use it exclusively for CAS.  .38 spl. & .45C.  It is not position or temperature sensitive.

I use it for all pistol caliber cartridges that I reload.  I also use HS-6 and HS-7 (until the HS-7 is gone).   The can of fertilizer unique has cobwebs on it.

• Haha 2

i need some red dot but im going to fall back to my clayas at this point , i think the current pricing should make anyone on the fence vote a bit more conservative - there is nothing better about or economy in the last term, 

I went on and bit the bullet--sharing cost/quantity with a fellow shooter so helps a bit

I did some figuring and even at $500, out-the-door price with tax, shipping, and hazmat I can load my .45 Colt for 3¢ per round, not counting primer and my own cast bullet.

I can live with that price and as much as I'm getting I need to live a long time

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Stump Water said:

I also use HS-6 and HS-7 (until the HS-7 is gone).   The can of fertilizer unique has cobwebs on it.

Just a heads up but, Lumpy and Rooster are probably already looking for you! Not sure what the penalty for heresy is but betting they do!

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:
Gateway Kid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Just a heads up but, Lumpy and Rooster are probably already looking for you! Not sure what the penalty for heresy is but betting they do!

:lol:

That tinfoil lined, cardboard can of Unique is from the 1980s.  The price tag on it says $12.99 (the Bullseye beside it says $15.99 so it's probably not as old).  And that's gun store price, not big box.  Of course back then big boxes didn't have powder.

I've heard that Unique has been "cleaned up", but back then that was some nasty stuff.  Bullseye too.  So I switched to HS-6/7 and never looked back.  Some years later I discovered Red Dot and I haven't bought another pistol powder since.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bgavin said:

I picked up 5744 / Buffalo Rifle for reduced loads in 30-06 and 45-70 if I ever acquire one (not likely)

I was looking over my powder inventory a few days ago and found a partial pound of 5744. Had no Idea when I bought it or why. Now I am reminded , I used to have a Sharps 45-70 several years back. Had to be for that. I haven't seen Unique in a long while locally , so I bit my tongue and ordered some from Natchez last week.

No more than I get to shoot these days it will last me many years. I hope , anyway.:lol: I'd rather run out of powder than years :P.

Rex :D

Edited by Rex M Rugers #6621
  • Like 1

i found that i have 3/4 of a pound of unique that i had forgot about on my shelves , im not at all sure why i have it - i think someone thought i needed it when i started loading 38s , ill use it up but not in my 38s i think , i believe ill load 4570 with it as thats next on my agenda here , i have some others as well , and i have a lot of cases ready to load , 

On 2/2/2024 at 12:04 PM, bgavin said:

I picked up 5744 / Buffalo Rifle for reduced loads in 30-06 and 45-70 if I ever acquire one (not likely)

Stag Arms announced a 45-70 lever gun with iron sights, pick rail & threaded barrel with MSRP $1,299 available in 12/2024.

Rossi has the R95 model 45-70 in 16.5", 20" & 22" Black oxide finish with MSRP of $1,061.