SASS Wire Forum

After Nearly 1K Martian Days, NASA’s Ingenuity Chopper Has Taken Its Last Flight
img
NASA/JPL-Caltech
NASA’s Ingenuity helicopter landed on Mars in February 2021 for a short mission consisting of five experimental test flights. When it first lifted off that April, it proved that powered, controlled flight was possible on the red planet. And rather than retiring 30 days later as planned, Ingenuity stayed.

Over the past three years, the tiny, 4-pound chopper has logged 72 flights and spent nearly 1,000 Martian days up in space — “more than 33 times longer than originally planned,” NASA said in a recent press release announcing that Ingenuity’s era has finally come to an end.

The helicopter’s last flight took place Jan. 18. It reached a height of 40 feet and hovered for a few seconds before its descent, during which it lost contact with the Perseverance rover. After communications were restored, ground controllers received imagery that showed damage to Ingenuity’s rotor blade, signaling the conclusion of its Mars mission.

“The historic journey of Ingenuity, the first aircraft on another planet, has come to [an] end,” Administrator Bill Nelson said in a statement. “That remarkable helicopter flew higher and farther than we ever imagined and helped NASA do what we do best — make the impossible, possible.”
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

What an accomplishment!

To the Engineers, builders and the team: 

Bravo!

• Like 5

If you like this article, you will enjoy a documentary currently streaming on Prime, "Good Night Oppy".  It's the story of the two Mars rovers, Spirit and Opportunity, that were sent to Mars in 2003 with an operational life expectancy of 90 days.  Oppy continued to operate for 15 years.  The story brought me to tears.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Fascinating! 

Did you know that Mars is inhabited by robots?

Years ago when I worked at Hughes I worked with the engineer that designed the power supply system for the Pioneer 10 spacecraft. He worked at TRW at the time. That power supply system was only supposed to last until the craft got photos from Jupiter. I believe it took 500 shots of Jupiter and relayed them back to NASA in 1973. That was at 16 million miles. 
Pioneer continued to operate and send data back to NASA until January 2003. It was 7.5 Billion miles from Earth. 

NASA loves redundancy, that’s for sure. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

NASA loves redundancy, that’s for sure. 

It was called TMR, triple modular redundancy. And a lot of it was before you could do computers on a chip.

any wondering why try Soviets abandoned Buran? Left the orbiter to rust away after one unmanned flight.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

If you like this article, you will enjoy a documentary currently streaming on Prime, "Good Night Oppy".  It's the story of the two Mars rovers, Spirit and Opportunity, that were sent to Mars in 2003 with an operational life expectancy of 90 days.  Oppy continued to operate for 15 years.  The story brought me to tears.

“The Farthest” (2017) about Voyager, had that effect on me. 

• Like 2

Li’l feller sure punched way above his weight!!

I wish some of the stuff we buy here on earth held up as well!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Li’l feller sure punched way above his weight!!

I wish some of the stuff we buy here on earth held up as well!!

He wasn't made in China.

speaking of that, the Chinese lander couldn’t handle the dust storms.

Edited by Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

It was called TMR, triple modular redundancy. And a lot of it was before you could do computers on a chip.

any wondering why try Soviets abandoned Buran? Left the orbiter to rust away after one unmanned flight.

The Soviets flat ran out of money to continue Buran. Pity because it had some features that Shuttle didn't have. Unfortunately, I can recall what they were right now.

there have been so many technological advancements in our lives directly attributable to the space age research , it makes me wonder at all the electric car mandate crap that our government has tried to perpetrate on us - they need to look at these things and realize the world will evolve by scientific discovery and ,market demands - not government interference 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Hey Blackwater B)

Your Wish has been Granted - TWINKIES!!  :o :rolleyes:

Twinkies are fossilized to begin with!! They have this petrified quality that defies description.

They ain’t worth a damn, but they certainly last!  Stale to start with!!

4 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Hey Blackwater B)

Your Wish has been Granted - TWINKIES!!  :o :rolleyes:

I could smell them the instant I read the word. They had kind of chemical smell to me. But have to admit if there was a box of em here, I'd likely consume them! :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1