SASS Wire Forum

Any end run around the Fox News App?

I would like to read Fox News on my iPhone, but they won't let you read anything except the headline without their App.  I prefer not to sign up for the App.  Is there a way to bring up the text of the article without installing the App on my phone?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I would like to read Fox News on my iPhone, but they won't let you read anything except the headline without their App.  I prefer not to sign up for the App.  Is there a way to bring up the text of the article without installing the App on my phone?

I would just paste this into whatever search engine you use then once you get to the site save the address in the search bar. That’s what I do with DDG. I just make things I want to keep a “Favorite”.

https://www.foxnews.com/

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

The app is free. I read it everyday. 

One thing Fox news has started doing recently is requiring you to sign up for their mailing list in order to read one of their articles.  I click on the article I'm interested in and after the re-direct a window pops up and says "Read this article for free.  Sign up here" and gives you a box to enter your email address.  The number of these articles has increased recently so I'm starting to look for another news source.  I don't need my email address spread all over kingdom come.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

One thing Fox news has started doing recently is requiring you to sign up for their mailing list in order to read one of their articles.  I click on the article I'm interested in and after the re-direct a window pops up and says "Read this article for free.  Sign up here" and gives you a box to enter your email address.  The number of these articles has increased recently so I'm starting to look for another news source.  I don't need my email address spread all over kingdom come.

Hmm, I just read about 10 articles this morning and none asked me for my email…….just sayin 

I read Fox News almost everyday on the app.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Hmm, I just read about 10 articles this morning and none asked me for my email…….just sayin 

I read Fox News almost everyday on the app.

If you have the app, they have your email.

I have been using BBC and it's pretty good.

Edited by J-BAR #18287
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

That’s been my experience as well, Kris. It started with just an article or two, but is now almost of them. I’m not giving them my email address either. 

I also grew tired of their clickbait salacious headline format and have since moved on to other sources. A lot of their articles seemed more like gossip than news. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

I would just paste this into whatever search engine you use then once you get to the site save the address in the search bar. That’s what I do with DDG. I just make things I want to keep a “Favorite”.

https://www.foxnews.com/

Glad it works for you, but when I use that link most of the articles require the App.  Somehow it knows it's me and not you!!

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Glad it works for you, but when I use that link most of the articles require the App.  Somehow it knows it's me and not you!!

It’s not you. 

I’ve a feeling this is a market test and not everyone is seeing the same thing. I wonder if their web traffic has dropped off?

Edited by Abilene Slim SASS 81783
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Weird. What kind of phone do you have?

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

If you have the app, they have your email.

I have been using BBC and it's pretty good.

They’ve never sent me an email and I’ve never given them my email’ How do they have it? Sorry I don’t agree!

I’ve had the app for at least 6-7 years!!

Edited by Rye Miles #13621
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

1 hour ago, Calamity Kris said:

I rarely use a cell phone to read the news, I always use a desktop.

They started out, wanting you to sign up, on just a few stories...now it's all of them it seems. 

I will NOT give them my e-mail address just to read their articles, half of which are just retitled old stories anyway. I am very protective of my e-mail and will not give it to them (or anyone else) so that they can bombard me with spam and sell it so I can get really bombarded with spam. There isn't even a phone number to call to talk to a live person. At this point, FOX News can KMA, I'll look at another of the dozen news sources. I even deleted from my favorites bar. A REALLY STUPID decision on FOX's part IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I rarely use a cell phone to read the news, I always use a desktop.

They started out, wanting you to sign up, on just a few stories...now it's all of them it seems. 

I will NOT give them my e-mail address just to read their articles, half of which are just retitled old stories anyway. I am very protective of my e-mail and will not give it to them (or anyone else) so that they can bombard me with spam and sell it so I can get really bombarded with spam. There isn't even a phone number to call to talk to a live person. At this point, FOX News can KMA, I'll look at another of the dozen news sources. I even deleted from my favorites bar. A REALLY STUPID decision on FOX's part IMO.

You do realize that you can sign up for a garbage email address in less than 5 minutes at dozens or maybe even hundreds of places online, right?  There's no reason you have to give an email address that you ever use or check.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, El Chapo said:

You do realize that you can sign up for a garbage email address in less than 5 minutes at dozens or maybe even hundreds of places online, right?  There's no reason you have to give an email address that you ever use or check.

Yep! What he said ^^^^

And whatever you do don’t give them a phone number. 

The latest thing I have noticed is really really tiny fonts on a sentence with a checked box in front that says “by clicking here you agree to receive texts from us and our partners. 
Keep an eye out for that. 

• Like 1

If they insist on an email and you have a DDG email account click on their email box then DDG will ask if you want to make a special email for that link. Click YES and you get a gibberish email to use. It’ll still come to your regular email box then you just block the sender. 

• Like 1

I'm getting the same popup on my desktop and they aren't getting my email.  I'm also increasingly cynical about much Fox's reporting of anything related to politics.  It's increasingly rare to find an unbiased American news source.

https://www.bbc.com/ isn't bad

http://english.aljazeera.net/ is at least honest and upfront about being biased against the United States and Israel and the rest of their reporting is good.

https://www.skynews.com.au/  is interesting

38 minutes ago, El Chapo said:

32 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

If they insist on an email and you have a DDG email account click on their email box then DDG will ask if you want to make a special email for that link. Click YES and you get a gibberish email to use. It’ll still come to your regular email box then you just block the sender. 

Why yes, yes I do. It's not worth my time or effort.

FOX News is the one that wants me to read their articles and stories. I actually read the so-called "news" from various sites... both the conservative side and the commie side. Always good have both perspectives that are opposites....kind of a see what the enemy is doing kinda thing. I find it ironic that FOX wants people to give up an e-mail address just to read their slant on the news while maintaining the government is intruding in your privacy mantra.

And besides that....I'd rather b***** about it here. Now THAT'S worth the time and effort.:P

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pat Riot said:

Weird. What kind of phone do you have?

iPhone 13.  Most of the bells and whistles are turned off.  It's a phone, camera, and text thingy 99% of the time.   Well, I do play Wordle, but that's all!

12 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

iPhone 13.  Most of the bells and whistles are turned off.  It's a phone, camera, and text thingy 99% of the time.   Well, I do play Wordle, but that's all!

Strange. I have the 13 Pro Max. I never get a message telling me I must download an App. 
I do see messages asking me if I want the App but I just ignore them. 

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Strange. I have the 13 Pro Max. I never get a message telling me I must download an App. 
I do see messages asking me if I want the App but I just ignore them. 

It's not the phone, but the content provider (Fox) that causes that. No different than the New York Times or Wall Street Journal blocking you from reading an article without a subscription.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Are you using Safari to try and open websites?

10 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

It's not the phone, but the content provider (Fox) that causes that. No different than the New York Times or Wall Street Journal blocking you from reading an article without a subscription.

I have an iPhone and don’t have that issue, but I don’t use Safari for general searches. I use DuckDuckGo. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Are you using Safari to try and open websites?

I use Safari on my Mac laptop.  Usually DuckDuckGo on my phone.

I just went to Fox on my computer and got this when I tried to read the top story:

ScreenShot2024-01-16at3_06_32PM.png.01647c63286046b8f40b1d25c63424f1.png

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

The app is free, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

The problem is I'm a cranky old man who doesn't want to give out his email address that widely!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

The problem is I'm a cranky old man who doesn't want to give out his email address that widely!!

Like I said they never asked me for an email and I’ve had the app for at least 6-7 years maybe more. This must be a new thing! 

I do not see the problem.

Give them someone else's email and problem solved.  Plenty of them out there.  Walmart's corporate email comes to mind.

• Like 2

Pat Riot:  

That took a lot of time and effort and I appreciate your computer savvy.

But I'll just use BBC.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Some things are just too much effort. Fox News is one of them. 

It was no effort for me ! Not one bit! I’ve had it for years!

Maybe it’s because I have an IPhone and I downloaded it from the Apple App Store.  

Fox News has been on the skids with me for some time. The content just isn’t there anymore. This bump in accessing it is trivial, but also the final straw. It’s just not worth reading, like this front page gem:

“Suzanne Somers' widower says 'strange things' are happening after her death”

my 2 cents, nothing more. 

• Like 2

I have gotten to the point where I rarely look at news. I get the Epoch Times online. They email me headlines. I often delete them. Life’s too short for news and politics. And, quite honestly, I just don’t flippin’ care anymore. 

• Like 2

might be a PITA but you gotta get news somewhere - and they are the least of the propagandists , they even air their competitors take on a lot of things so you can decide what to believe , 

we have been cheated out of an unbiased media since watergate as far as im concerned , i think there was acytual "reporting" back then and before , not so much since , now the "NEWS SOURCES" want to write their own news and i wont buy that 

• Thanks 1