SASS Wire Forum

What's the difference between "the going rate" and "scalper's price"?

The past three or four years, a lot of things have been harder to come by. I see folks almost every day post some variation of, "I've looked everywhere for [guns, powder, brass, primers, whatever], and I can't find any, where are you guys getting it?".  So I'll point out some sellers that have the item(s) for $XXX.xx, often two to three times or more what the price was 3-5 years ago, and get, "I'M NOT PAYING SCALPER'S PRICES, I HOPE THEY CHOKE ON IT". OK, but everyone who has [item] is asking more or less the same price, and they're getting it, so what's the difference between "the going rate" in this brave new world and "scalper's prices"? :ph34r:

I see "going rate" as the price of a generally available commodity the price of which varies greatly from suppliers. Usually I see it on menus for seafood "catch of the day,"  crab, and lobster.

Scalpers price is when a person, or several persons, buy quantities of a very limited commodity with the intention of selling it at a greatly inflated price.  Usual examples are tickets for concerts or sporting events.

All I know is that before the great Kung Flu, I was able to buy Federal small pistol primers at $35.00 per K.    Then small pistol primers went to $200.00 per K and seem to have leveled off around $85.00 per K.  Federal published a price increase a while back of 15% on ammo and reloading components.  If Federal is not collecting all this excess price increase, then somebody between them and the public sure is. 

I understand supply and demand.  I also understand the effects of pumping 3 Trillion dollars of "stimulus money" into the economy, resulting in 9% inflation.  It's getting more expensive to play this game.  

I have realized most of my head cannon prices are way off these days. 

I kinda treat it like I'm travelling and have to price things in a foreign country.

Gotta buy lumber, car parts or a motorcycle? ALL of the prices make no sense historically.

Large pistol primers are on the shelf but at $12 a hundred.  Yea that's a jump. 

And inflation is only 3%

1 hour ago, Texas Joker said:

And inflation is only 3%

Says the government that doesn’t want to increase pay to retirees and employees. 

I suspect there are multiple factors impacting ammo and component prices.  In no particular order:

Salary increases across the board: maker, seller, wholesaler and transport

labor cost increases due to more shifts being run and increases in health insurance

retail building rent has gone up

"hotel" costs have gone up.  Hotel costs are heat, AC, water, electricity, etc

active or potential conflicts impacting raw materials, transport and manufacturing capacity

government sales taking priority over civilian  sales

hoarding

more people buying in bulk

people are willing to pay the higher prices so manufacturers have no reason to lower prices 

1 hour ago, Chantry said:

people are willing to pay the higher prices so manufacturers have no reason to lower prices 

That right there is one reason prices are high on many things. 

Cars are a good example. Dealers charging 20-50% markup over MSRP and idiots buy their cars. It started with Jeep and Ford. Now they all do it. Yet idiots are buying new cars every day. 

4 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Says the government that doesn’t want to increase pay to retirees and employees. 

My 99 cent cost $1.27 I lacked a sarcasm font.

Math says at least 28% inflation

Just got home from grocery shopping. 
Gas 3.299 gallon, 1-20-21 = 1.899

Milk 3.29 gallon, 1-20-21 = 1.99

Eggs 3.79 dozen, 1-20-21 = .99

Tuna fish .99 can, 1-20-21 = .69

Chips, 4.09 bag, 1-20-21 = 1.99

Bread 4.29 loaf, 1-20-21 = 1.99

Primers 94/K, 1-20-21 = 32/K

My check book says (since I buy pretty much the same thing every time) that a shopping trip costs roughly double what it did 1-20-21!

I would kill to have only 9% inflation, let alone 3%!

I know some (including on this forum) say current WH occupant can do no wrong and economy is booming and not his fault but facts say different in my area. Lots of factors for sure, I just don’t see pursuing idiotic agendas or inept leadership as helpful. 

Regards (and hoping savings hold out)

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:
Gateway Kid

2 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Cars are a good example. Dealers charging 20-50% markup over MSRP and idiots buy their cars. It started with Jeep and Ford. Now they all do it. Yet idiots are buying new cars every day. 

I bought a new Honda Fit in 2018, and three years later when the lots were empty, the dealership sent me a flyer offering to buy it back for more than I paid. I never responded, so who knows what the catch was.

It's like the difference between a pond and a lake, according to Ray Scott, founder of BASS. It all depends on whether you're buying or selling property. If you're selling, it's a lake. If you're buying, it's a pond.

4 hours ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Just got home from grocery shopping. 
Gas 3.299 gallon, 1-20-21 = 1.899

Milk 3.29 gallon, 1-20-21 = 1.99

Eggs 3.79 dozen, 1-20-21 = .99

Tuna fish .99 can, 1-20-21 = .69

Chips, 4.09 bag, 1-20-21 = 1.99

Bread 4.29 loaf, 1-20-21 = 1.99

Primers 94/K, 1-20-21 = 32/K

My check book says (since I buy pretty much the same thing every time) that a shopping trip costs roughly double what it did 1-20-21!

I would kill to have only 9% inflation, let alone 3%!

I know some (including on this forum) say current WH occupant can do no wrong and economy is booming and not his fault but facts say different in my area. Lots of factors for sure, I just don’t see pursuing idiotic agendas or inept leadership as helpful. 

Regards (and hoping savings hold out)

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:
Gateway Kid

Know what’s sad? When I left CA and moved to WV the inflated prices here were and are half of what things cost in CA. 

If I can afford it and want it, it's the going rate.  If I want it but can't afford it, it's scalping.

going rate is what most folks would pay , common price the market sees - the scalpers rate is what that guy outside the venue without a ticket will pay that guy who has a ticket , letting your desires supersede your sensibilities , 

now - if someone really wants something and searches out a seller then negotiates a rate above going rate to aquire his goal its not necessarily a scalpers rate , its a dickered rate - both agree , win/win , could always continue shopping and trying to sell , but decided they can agree , 

Archived