SASS Wire Forum

LaPierre, Longtime N.R.A. Leader, Faces Trial That Could End His Reign - Stepping Down

1 minute ago, Pat Riot said:

Something just dawned on me. A far fetched dystopian theory.

Do you think perhaps someone or a political body like Soros’ is backing LaPiierre to sow seeds of discontent in the strongest pro 2A organization in the USA?

I doubt it...but then again???

Something is up for LaPierre to keep clinging to his so-called leadership role so tenaciously. It's one, or all, of the following - money ($2+ million/yr), ego/power or influence from extraneous sources with their own agenda.

If LaPierre and/or the BOD cared anything about the 2nd Amendment, gun owners or the continuation of the NRA as an entity, LaPierre would have resigned or the BOD would have forced him (and a few others) out. I don't think that the entire governing structure of the NRA is corrupt, but they don't seem to want to do anything about the corruption or the NRA's public image. More importantly, they don't seem to care about their image to the longtime NRA members. This bad image alone has severely reduced donations, new membership and NRA clout little by little over the years until it is the massive rolling boulder that it is today. Yet, LaPierre is still at the top...why?

I'm sure that there is still good people on the BOD that care about the 2nd, gun owners and the NRA but IMO, they are all complicit in the NRA's downfall and therefore they ALL need to go.

Start over with new people, new corporate rules and a new image.

To those of you that teach new shooters and experienced shooters about gun safety, Thank You. 

I do not have the patience, tact or the desire to do that task. I am okay one on one with people, but a class? No way. I know my limitations in this regard. But even when I train someone I insist they go to a proper gun safety course. If they will not agree to that I just won’t bother with them. That goes for family too. 

33 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Something is up for LaPierre to keep clinging to his so-called leadership role so tenaciously. It's one, or all, of the following - money ($2+ million/yr), ego/power or influence from extraneous sources with their own agenda.

If LaPierre and/or the BOD cared anything about the 2nd Amendment, gun owners or the continuation of the NRA as an entity, LaPierre would have resigned or the BOD would have forced him (and a few others) out. I don't think that the entire governing structure of the NRA is corrupt, but they don't seem to want to do anything about the corruption or the NRA's public image. More importantly, they don't seem to care about their image to the longtime NRA members. This bad image alone has severely reduced donations, new membership and NRA clout little by little over the years until it is the massive rolling boulder that it is today. Yet, LaPierre is still at the top...why?

I'm sure that there is still good people on the BOD that care about the 2nd, gun owners and the NRA but IMO, they are all complicit in the NRA's downfall and therefore they ALL need to go.

Start over with new people, new corporate rules and a new image.

I think it’s LaPierre himself. I think the BOD has its hands tied by a contract they witlessly agreed to. 

On another note this situation in itself should show the unAmerican dirtbags on the Left that gun owners aren’t a violent bunch. LaPierre is still alive and breathing. 

We can elect a new board of directors, and contracts can be canceled for cause. 

Do we want to, or just grouse about the situation?

6 minutes ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

I vote every time it comes up. Yes we can!

8 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

As do I. 

39 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Let's get together on the candidates and get enough votes for new board members  toelect people who will straighten out this mess.

On 1/3/2024 at 8:25 PM, Buckshot Bob said:

It definitely would be better. But looking at it from the glass is half full perspective, allot of other pro gun organizations have stepped up to the plate and are doing some amazing work. In the end if the NRA returns to their former self maybe it will benefit the rights of Americans more than ever having multiple effective organizations 

From the front lines here in California I see the NRA as almost useless.   It lets groups like Cal Rifle and Pistol Association, Second Amendment Foundation, et al. do the heavy lifting in the fight for civil rights, then step in at the last second, contributing almost nothing.  

It seems to me that the NRA only "fights for gun rights (a term I hate, the 2nd is about CIVIL rights, just like the 1st)" in places where no "fight" is needed, where anti-Bill of Rights bills will be defeated anyway.   Then spend millions on back patting fund raising, "See how great we are?  We defeated this!  Now send us more money!"

I'd have to check to be sure, but I don't think the NRA even bothered to file an amicus in the last couple of high profile cases here.

2 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

Let's get together on the candidates and get enough votes for new board members  toelect people who will straighten out this mess.

How do we, as NRA members, do that?

46 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

From the front lines here in California I see the NRA as almost useless.   It lets groups like Cal Rifle and Pistol Association, Second Amendment Foundation, et al. do the heavy lifting in the fight for civil rights, then step in at the last second, contributing almost nothing.  

It seems to me that the NRA only "fights for gun rights (a term I hate, the 2nd is about CIVIL rights, just like the 1st)" in places where no "fight" is needed, where anti-Bill of Rights bills will be defeated anyway.   Then spend millions on back patting fund raising, "See how great we are?  We defeated this!  Now send us more money!"

I'd have to check to be sure, but I don't think the NRA even bothered to file an amicus in the last couple of high profile cases here.

I agree, the NRA definitely needs to change. In my lifetime legislatively they have always seemed to be about “compromise” . The problem being their form of compromise was to give the gun grabbers some of what they wanted while gun owners get nothing in return. That’s not what I think of as compromise. I’ve always felt they could have done much better for their members with the amount of political power they held. But on the plus side their ineffectiveness has allowed many other organizations to show what they are capable of. I’m just hoping we can dump Wayne and his cronies and it can become a more effective organization than it was before. The anti gun lobby hardly even demonizes them anymore. So you know they aren’t much of a concern 

3 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

The problem being their form of compromise was to give the gun grabbers some of what they wanted while gun owners get nothing in return.

Common misspelling mistake, the correct spelling isn't "compromise",  it's "capitulate

1 minute ago, VinnieBoomBah said:

Common misspelling mistake, the correct spelling isn't "compromise",  it's "capitulate

The NRA definitely did that . I don’t remember them ever getting many rights back . When the Concealed carry movement started in Fl and rolled across the country they definitely were not at the forefront of that . In fact I can remember them not wanting to “rock the boat “ Although they were happy to take credit for it after it started to succeed. 

They are a great organization in many respects, but suck in many also, definitely not living up to their potential . 

1 minute ago, Buckshot Bob said:

The NRA definitely did that . I don’t remember them ever getting many rights back . When the Concealed carry movement started in Fl and rolled across the country they definitely were not at the forefront of that . In fact I can remember them not wanting to “rock the boat “ Although they were happy to take credit for it after it started to succeed. 

They are a great organization in many respects, but suck in many also, definitely not living up to their potential . 

Marion Hammer was a big part of that. She was NRA through and through, wish she was still with us and about 40 years younger. One helleva fiesty woman.

1 minute ago, Cypress Sun said:

Marion Hammer was a big part of that. She was NRA through and through, wish she was still with us and about 40 years younger. One helleva fiesty woman.

She was good , I remember many of the other NRA officers fighting her on many of her positions. Too bad she didn’t rise to power instead of Wayne 

27 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

The idea of 'compromise' as in "No more compromising" really grinds my gears because I can't really think of a single instance of an actual compromise that has been made with regards to firearms rights.  At best some weak "It could have been much worse" argument but an ACTUAL compromise?  Nah, never seen one.

National BGC?  OK, give us constitutional carry 

FOID cards? Cool, no BGC and open up the registry

ETA:  Just to be clear I DO NOT support national BGS or FOID cards, just used those as examples of compromises that would be actual compromises  

1 hour ago, VinnieBoomBah said:

Google "cake and compromise" for a great explanation.

6 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

I love this point.

4 hours ago, VinnieBoomBah said:

The idea of 'compromise' as in "No more compromising" really grinds my gears because I can't really think of a single instance of an actual compromise that has been made with regards to firearms rights.  At best some weak "It could have been much worse" argument but an ACTUAL compromise?  Nah, never seen one.

National BGC?  OK, give us constitutional carry 

FOID cards? Cool, no BGC and open up the registry

ETA:  Just to be clear I DO NOT support national BGS or FOID cards, just used those as examples of compromises that would be actual compromises  

I know what "FOID" means (Firearms Owner Identification Card)  But, what is "BGC" and "BGS"?

Ol’ Wayne is stepping down !!! Yipee :)

49 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Ol’ Wayne is stepping down !!! Yipee :)

I just placed an order with Midway and used the roundup donation function for the first time in years. 

I guess you fellers were prescient!  Lapierre resigns effective January 31st!   SB

I too am a Lifer. Once Lapierre steps down, I will be sending extra funds once again.

14 hours ago, Shepherd Book said:

I guess you fellers were prescient!  Lapierre resigns effective January 31st!   SB

Makes me wonder what kind of damage he may do between now and then…

On 1/5/2024 at 7:36 AM, Cypress Sun said:

If he’s like anyone else, he’s in debt and has bills to pay.

If he’s like any other lobbyist, there’s obligations and promises to fulfill the public isn’t privy to know, with consequences if he doesn’t. 

I doubt he flew with Epstein, but who knows.

I just watched the elephant hunt video of him and his ol’ lady. Hard to believe they were dumb enough to release that video to the public as it clearly revealed their lack of familiarity with weapons and hunting.  They mays as well been a couple of 3rd graders learning to square dance.

@Dirty Dan Dawkins I doubt he flew with Epstein. If he had, you KNOW his name would have been leaked or the first one released to the media.

• Eliphalet R. Moderator changed the title to LaPierre, Longtime N.R.A. Leader, Faces Trial That Could End His Reign - Stepping Down

Archived