SASS Wire Forum

Best lb hammer/main spring for ruger new vaquero

Coot

I ordered some 19lb springs as I've read that seems to be the most reliable upgrade from the factory 23 lb springs. I'm wondering how many of you have used lower, say a 17 or even 15lb spring. If so did you get any light strikes? I'd like to get mine as easy to cook as I can while maintaining reliability.

• Haha 1

Ruger New Model Vaquero typically comes with a 17lb spring according to a quick google search. 

All factory springs I have checked ran around 23lbs. on spring tester. I think sure hit makes an 11 lb it is the lightest drop in. I tune my springs to 10-10.5, but other work is needed to run that light.

• Thanks 1

I run 15# in both of mine.  They reliably set off Federal, Winchester, and Fiocchi primers.  Only work about 1/2 the time with CCI though (my CCI SPP are about 3 years old).  Got mine from Longhunter, it came with a 15# for use without the lock, a shorter 15# for use if you have the lock, and a 17# I guess for "just in case".

• Like 2

15lb Wolfe Springs seem to work for me setting off anything I load.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

NMV is 17lb factory.

OMV was 23lb.

Every NMV I have checked has been 23. They may have changed at some point but I haven't found one.

Ruger measures their spring weight in a lot more complicated way than most of us (unless you're an engineer). Ruger claims their new stock spring has a rate of a little over 19 pounds. It measures about 20 pounds at rest and close to 25 pounds at full cock.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

interesting , seems there is contention about what comes stock , all three of mine [45s] worked for me right out of the box so ve left them as is - they seemed lighter as delivered than a friends 38s did - not sure that would have any relationship , they go babg and never seemed all that tuff to cock , 

A couple of things to consider about springs, what style do you shoot ? I shoot gunfighter with montado hammers but I use Winchester primers and I find the super light hammer springs to be a disadvantage. I also find the 30oz trigger springs to be “ light “ until you get used to them, spring kits are cheap and easy to instal plus you get to learn how to disassemble and reassemble your pistol. Buy a wolf hammer spring assortment pak and a trigger spring assortment pak and load a different set in each gun and compare them shooting. You may find one gun needs a 1lb heavier hammer spring to feel the same. YMMV

As you go with lighter hammer springs one spring which seems to be overlooked or not discussed is the firing pin spring. I have changed my firing pin springs in my Rugers to the ones Shotgun Boogie sells.

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Ask Wolff Gunsprings what Ruger uses ;)

I know what they list, just saying I haven't run across any that light. I use the same method of spring checking a Wolff spring and they come out at advertised weight.

On 1/2/2024 at 4:25 PM, SGT. ELI 35882 GUNFIGHTER said:

Every NMV I have checked has been 23. They may have changed at some point but I haven't found one.

Hey Sarge,

What do the shorter stock NV with the internal key lock run?

When you said all the New Vaquero stock spring you tested were 23lb was that the new longer spring after Ruger got rid of the internal lock? 

Different shooters will have different needs.

I run Jimmy Spurs NMVs.  The springs are very light, probably in the 14 lb range.  They work for me.  Iron Cowboy OTH doesn't like his that light, he says he out runs the springs (I believe him).  I took out the springs that came with his NMVs (the gunsmith had cut them so short we were getting occasional failure to fire) and replaced them with 19 lb springs, which are just right, for him.

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I run Jimmy Spurs NMVs.  The springs are very light, probably in the 14 lb range.  They work for me.  Iron Cowboy OTH doesn't like his that light, he says he out runs the springs (I believe him).  I took out the springs that came with his NMVs (the gunsmith had cut them so short we were getting occasional failure to fire) and replaced them with 19 lb springs, which are just right, for him.

You can 'shim' the hammer spring with #10AN washers.

11 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Hey Sarge,

What do the shorter stock NV with the internal key lock run?

When you said all the New Vaquero stock spring you tested were 23lb was that the new longer spring after Ruger got rid of the internal lock? 

All I have checked fall in the 23lb. range.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I have a set of Jimmy Spurs and the springs checked in the 10 lb range

• Like 1

Count me in the “could be lighter” camp. For years I was running Seven’s magic springs and about every other year adding one of the plastic shims as the springs softened with use. Don’t know the weight but never had a misfire in competition though sometimes in practice when I was not completely pulling the hammer back trying to go faster. Probably about 14#. 
Ran out of my stash of them and installed Wolff 17# and like them a lot. Seem more “positive” in striking the primer and leave a considerably deeper dent. My hands aren’t the most sensitive and I really can’t tell the difference. 
YMMV

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid