SASS Wire Forum

Lighter Ammo?

Subdeacon Joe

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2023/12/18/marine-corps-seeks-lighter-50-caliber-ammo-for-agility-in-battle/

The Marine Corps is exploring whether it could buy significantly lighter 0.50 caliber ammunition, as part of an ongoing effort to trim the weight Marines carry on their backs.

Marine Corps Systems Command in September asked ammunition vendors for their interest and capabilities to manufacture cartridges 24%–30% lighter than what Marines currently carry, in what’s known as a request for information.

I don't think there are Marines running around carrying 50 cal. ammo in their rucksacks.  Ok, maybe a few snipers in special situations but not normally.  I guess when they replace all those ICE Hummers and tanks with battery packs, they will have to limit what they can carry to extend their range.

I hate bulls*** want to help the guy humping stuff, Try a base plate, tube and ammo for a squad portable mortar. No one humps Ma duce.

12 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Seems like a solution in search of a problem

Imis   (My tank carried plenty and I didnt have to)

Never walk when you can ride......but remember: a moving foxhole attracts the eye.

22 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Synthetic cases. Already being introduced with other calibers.

This one ^

Archived