SASS Wire Forum

Captain George Baylor’s book

Mossy Horn Gent

8 minutes ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

If you have  a kindle it's $20

It’s free on Kindle Unlimited.

51 minutes ago, Mossy Horn Gent said:

The current price of $50.92 seems a bit steep.

It has a lot of color pictures!

I have it , have read it again. If it saves you from a $1500 mistake how much is it worth. If you stay at this game you will come to value it even more in the years to come.

Imis

Anyone who is currently not shooting CAS, but is interested in getting started, please get your hands on a printed copy, or computer, or I-phone, or whatever, on his new book.   It will save you a lot of money, instead of just going out and wildly throwing money around and not getting the right equipment for how you want to participate in CAS. 

6 minutes ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

So does PLAYBOY!!

Does it, haven’t seen an issue in decades?

If the price a tad more reasonable, I'd buy one just to have for reference. Maybe the issue is Amazon. I bought a Flintlock book directly from the author for the same price as through the publisher, $29.95. Amazon wanted $285! I think sometimes they put the case price on single items. Found that for other books as well. Don't even try to get a hold of Amazon to get it corrected, you'll go the same route as Forty Rod with Aveeno! I mentioned it in my review of the book as Eric Bye requested and Amazon just posted it, never fixed the pricing as far as know. Haven't bothered to follow up.

17 hours ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

So does PLAYBOY!!

:rolleyes:

Now you gone and done it, Itchy will be heading to the nearest book store to check it out. LOL

TM

If you think that the price of Capt George's book is too much, all you have to do is download all of the Cowboy Chronicle magazines that are available online. Then curate his articles along with his Facebook posts and viola you have the book.  Otherwise the electronic copy for $30 or the Kindle Unlimited copy are bargains. 

For the record I have both a hardcopy and a Kindle Unlimited copy. Nice reference books. I believe in supporting fellow shooters, especially Curt who is a great person and a fun guy to shoot with.

La Sombra

On 12/4/2023 at 12:34 PM, La Sombra said:

If you think that the price of Capt George's book is too much, all you have to do is download all of the Cowboy Chronicle magazines that are available online. Then curate his articles along with his Facebook posts and viola you have the book.  Otherwise the electronic copy for $30 or the Kindle Unlimited copy are bargains. 

For the record I have both a hardcopy and a Kindle Unlimited copy. Nice reference books. I believe in supporting fellow shooters, especially Curt who is a great person and a fun guy to shoot with.

La Sombra

Whoa ... You know his real name!?

:o

On 12/3/2023 at 12:22 PM, Mossy Horn Gent said:

I am just getting started in cowboy action shooting and am interested in in Captain George Baylor's book.

Is the book only available through Amazon? The current price of $50.92 seems a bit steep.

He used to have a web site called Captain Baylor's Ranger Camp with lots of information and photos about Cowboy Action Shooting.  He no longer supports that web site and appears to have put that information and other info from articles he did for the SASS Cronicle all in his new book.

On 12/4/2023 at 11:19 AM, Eyesa Horg said:

If the price a tad more reasonable, I'd buy one just to have for reference. Maybe the issue is Amazon. I bought a Flintlock book directly from the author for the same price as through the publisher, $29.95. Amazon wanted $285! I think sometimes they put the case price on single items. Found that for other books as well. Don't even try to get a hold of Amazon to get it corrected, you'll go the same route as Forty Rod with Aveeno! I mentioned it in my review of the book as Eric Bye requested and Amazon just posted it, never fixed the pricing as far as know. Haven't bothered to follow up.

While this is possible, it's more likely that the book is out of print and Amazon knows it.  They like to jack the prices up on books that go out of print because they know that you will have a difficult time finding a copy elsewhere.  I have noticed the same thing with several of my favorite books for example: https://www.amazon.com/Muscle-Car-Confidential-Confessions-Driver/dp/0760328315/ref=sr_1_1?crid=TO8CMBUYTWSN&keywords=muscle+car+confidential&qid=1701840087&sprefix=muscle+car+confidential%2Caps%2C199&sr=8-1  ......This was a 20 ish dollar book until it went out of print. 

Amazon is notorious for this, and it's hard to blame them when they are the only game in town.

On 12/4/2023 at 12:34 PM, La Sombra said:

I won't disagree but keep in mind the author is not going to collect any more money for the book just because Amazon has gouged the price.  Amazon already bought the book and paid him/his publisher all it's going to pay.  Now they are free to charge whatever they want without paying any additional money to the author/publisher.

On 12/3/2023 at 12:22 PM, Mossy Horn Gent said:

I am just getting started in cowboy action shooting and am interested in in Captain George Baylor's book.

Is the book only available through Amazon? The current price of $50.92 seems a bit steep.

I too have been in search of this book for a reasonable price.  I have not had any luck so far.  I have the digital copy through my kindle unlimited subscription and seeing that others are in the same boat I just bit the bullet and ordered the paperback copy.  I will review and compare both and report back on any notable differences.  Sometimes the digital versions eliminate pictures for the sake of size and wide platform availability.  To me this seems like the kind of book where the pictures and diagrams would be important. 

I'll check the paperback vs my Kindle Fire vs My Kindle Paperwhite and let you know if there is anything lost in the digital version.

On 12/5/2023 at 9:00 PM, Mossy Horn Gent said:

I thought maybe the current price was an Amazon error. Was hoping to hear from the author on this forum.

Captain Baylor is not on the Wire. He self published this book during Covid when he had immediate onset total deafness. Creating this book saved him! He paid extra to have high quality color photos. This book is a labor of love from the finally SASS Hall of Fame member, class of 2023. 

I set up a tent for him beside mine at Land Run so that he could sign books he sold or sign books folks had bought. I have autographed copies of his book and they’re $50 plus shipping. 

It would make a great Christmas present. I offer free gift wrapping. :wub:

I don’t mean this to sound rude…but this $50 item is the least of your worries in this game! lol. Seriously, it’ll help you make more Informed choices - - category, caliber, firearms etc. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

14 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Captain Baylor is not on the Wire. He self published this book during Covid when he had immediate onset total deafness. Creating this book saved him! He paid extra to have high quality color photos. This book is a labor of love from the finally SASS Hall of Fame member, class of 2023. 

I set up a tent for him beside mine at Land Run so that he could sign books he sold or sign books folks had bought. I have autographed copies of his book and they’re $50 plus shipping. 

It would make a great Christmas present. I offer free gift wrapping. :wub:

I don’t mean this to sound rude…but this $50 item is the least of your worries in this game! lol. Seriously, it’ll help you make more Informed choices - - category, caliber, firearms etc. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

Is the book on your Web site? Please post or PM details! Do you do PayPal F&F?

54 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Is the book on your Web site? Please post or PM details! Do you do PayPal F&F?

Yes it’s there. I don’t do PayPal. They fired me for the things I sell (not the book!) I can accept Venmo or you can just check out regular on my website. Bulletsbyscarlett.com search Book and it’ll come up. Text me if you have issues. 843-833-0770. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

29 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Yes it’s there. I don’t do PayPal. They fired me for the things I sell (not the book!) I can accept Venmo or you can just check out regular on my website. Bulletsbyscarlett.com search Book and it’ll come up. Text me if you have issues. 843-833-0770. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

May I bother you for a link to it. Searched  book  and it came back "result not found"

Sorry to be a PIA:wub:

Eyesa

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

May I bother you for a link to it. Searched  book  and it came back "result not found"

Sorry to be a PIA:wub:

Eyesa

https://bulletsbyscarlett.live-website.com/shop/Captain-Baylors-Big-Bad-Book-Of-Cowboy-Action-Shooting-Autographed-p601997316

TM

Thanks Texas Maverick! I appreciate it. It’s awkward for me to post something that I sell on this forum…I’m supposed to use the SASS merchant forum. :)

@Eyesa Horg, you are NOT a PIA!! See link above that TM posted. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

5 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Thanks Texas Maverick! I appreciate it. It’s awkward for me to post something that I sell on this forum…I’m supposed to use the SASS merchant forum. :)

Hugs!

Scarlett

No problem, just helping out a fellow pard that needed some guidance. I just bought a Lee Load All and getting ready to try to load some of the APP I bought from you at Land Run and see how well it goes. Not sure how many grains or which bushing yet but will get there eventually. LOL

TM

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

Hugs!

Scarlett

Ordered, much obliged, beats supporting Amazon!

2 hours ago, Texas Maverick said:

How did you search it!? I even just tried typing in the whole title minus the autographed part.:( Maybe something to do with searching on my phone. I don't know. Thanks for finding it for me. Much rather support Miss Scarlett than the giant box store!

17 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

How did you search it!? I even just tried typing in the whole title minus the autographed part.:( Maybe something to do with searching on my phone. I don't know. Thanks for finding it for me. Much rather support Miss Scarlett than the giant box store!

From the home page scroll down to the Best Seller section then select Shop All. Then when that page opens scroll to the bottom and go to Page 2 and you will find it there.

TM

On 12/6/2023 at 12:28 AM, IronOkie said:

I won't disagree but keep in mind the author is not going to collect any more money for the book just because Amazon has gouged the price.  Amazon already bought the book and paid him/his publisher all it's going to pay.  Now they are free to charge whatever they want without paying any additional money to the author/publisher.

Amazon does NOT own this book. Captain Baylor self-published this book.  He receives commission/royalties of sales. The autographed books I have are books HE got at Author’s price (Amazon is printing the book for him). So buying the book from Amazon IS supporting Captain Baylor. Buying the book from me is supporting Captain Baylor and my business…. :wub:

Hugs!

Scarlett

Archived