SASS Wire Forum

When you put a 300bo in a 556

Buckshot Bob

40 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

That’s why I make sure the color of the magazines are the same color as the rifle they go in.  

That would make no difference in this case. The shooter knew he was shooting a 5.56 rifle, he picked up a 300BO round off the ground and stuffed it in his (regardless of color) magazine, then tried to fire it. The same color mag and rifle are a great idea, but if a shooter won't pay attention, then as someone once said, "you can't fix stupid."

10 minutes ago, El Sobrante Kid said:

That would make no difference in this case. The shooter knew he was shooting a 5.56 rifle, he picked up a 300BO round off the ground and stuffed it in his (regardless of color) magazine, then tried to fire it. The same color mag and rifle are a great idea, but if a shooter won't pay attention, then as someone once said, "you can't fix stupid."

I'm still working through my safety plans for my 300BO subsonic suppressed SBR (ain't gonna have no useless velcro strap) rifle.

So far this includes 2 labeled elastic bands on each magazine loaded with 300BO in case one band breaks.

Glad to hear no injuries involved!

ID'ing a magazine by color or attachments... or anything else for that matter, would have made NO DIFFERENCE. The problem is the person shooting the rifle. The 300BO and the 5.56 use the SAME magazines. So it doesn't matter what someone does to differentiate the two as to what magazine goes with what rifle. If the person shooting the rifle is "willing" to load 300BO ammo in the magazine, and then try to shoot it in the 5.56 rifle, bad things will happen.

6 minutes ago, El Sobrante Kid said:

ID'ing a magazine by color or attachments... or anything else for that matter, would have made NO DIFFERENCE. The problem is the person shooting the rifle. The 300BO and the 5.56 use the SAME magazines. So it doesn't matter what someone does to differentiate the two as to what magazine goes with what rifle. If the person shooting the rifle is "willing" to load 300BO ammo in the magazine, and then try to shoot it in the 5.56 rifle, bad things will happen.

Agree as far as the idiot goes. For those who do not want to become idiots, what are appropriate safeguards? I plan on two bands on a magazine in case one band fails, plus keeping ammo segregated, and my 300BO rifle will not at all look like my 5.56 rifles. the next challenge will be not bringing both to the same event.

There is a problem in the rounds chambering in the wrong guns, and feeding from the same magazines. And looking and feeling roughly the same in hand. Agree the shooter owns the responsibility to be safe.

3 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

That’s how you make a high BC, 22 bullet 

Is that called "fire formed"?

I’m am always impressed with what a barrel can handle. When I was in FT Benning in the early 80s we had a guy bring a M16 to the repair truck with a bulged barrel, there as a cleaning rod section stuck in the barrel and he was to scared to tell his DI so he figured he would just shoot it out the barrel and claim he lost the section. The bullet swaged itself almost the whole length of the leaning rod section and was paper thin. The barrel cracked but dident burst and the bolt held. We milled the barrel open in the machine shop because we just had to see what happened

To me the point is no matter how you color code your gun and your mags, you have to be smart enough to put the right ammo in the firearm    GW

You have to be a moron or blind to pick-up an unfired 300BO cartridge & load it into magazine with 223/5.56 cartridges in it.  Visually they are quite different.  To prevent inserting a magazine loaded with 300BO into a 223/5.56 AR-15 I have polymer mags with molded 300BO markings as well as the feed lips are different so that all subsonic bullets will feed reliably.  The 300BO upper dust cover has lettering "300BO".

P.S. If all you did was go by the case head stamp & ignored the obvious case shape & fatter & longer 30 cal. bullet loaded in the case I could understand how it happened.   If you used a Mag Pump mag loader & had an odd 300BO cartridge in the box/bin with loose 223/5.56 ammo you fill the Mag Pump's hopper from it you could reasonably make the mistake of chambering a 3000BO in a 223/556 chamber.

If you grab another magazine because you are in the middle of a tense, stressful social interaction and need to reload  are you REALLY going to check colors or bands?

I have seen plenty of movie quiet suppressed .300 BO guns.  I see the desire.

I figure not to make that mistake and have only 5.56 and .308.  Can't hardly get them mixed up.

Archived