SASS Wire Forum

Good radio stations

Dirty Dan Dawkins

Radio these days is generally lousy.

In the Atlanta radio heyday, the 90’s,

you had z93, Star 94, 96 rock , Fox 97, b98.5, 99x, kicks 101.5 and y106, I’ll throw in q106.3 out of Macon. All in their own rights solid radio,back in the day…..

But the formats have changed. The playlist redundant and too much advertising.

Just went to  Colorado, how nice it was to tune into Krsj 100.5 out of Durango. Good mix, little advertisements and lots of “deep cuts.” Red Stegal on Sunday.

Now I stream it!

Be forewarned- you will hear CW Mcall Wolf Creek Pass and Convoy each once a day.

Any other streaming radio stations, regardless of genre, that y’all find exceptional?

I'm looking forward to the answers.

IMO, there hasn't been any good radio station type format in a long time. We have a SiriusXM home reciever...sometimes it's good and sometimes it sucks, kind of like radio!

I remember WFSO AM-570. It was the go-to rock and roll station around here before the advent of FM. Heard a lot of "deep tracks" that have stayed with me through the years on there.

I have about 450 Albums downloaded onto my IPod. If I listen to music while I’m driving, it’s my Go-to. The wife has Sirius XM so she can change to whatever she’s in the mood for. I don’t like paying for it but she loves it so OK.

I have the SiriusXM radio set up in the car.  It’s okay because I can program several different “stations” so that I don’t have to listen to stuff that I don’t like. The radio controls are duplicated on the steering wheel so I don’t even have to take my eyes off of the road.

In the shop, I have parts of the stage PA system that we used for shows with my band. I have a bluetooth unit that plugs into the mixer/amp and receives my playlist from my iPhone.

Today’s radio broadcasting is so pitiful that I can’t bring myself to listen to it! Too many commercials, too much blather, and too little variety cause me to get quickly bored or aggravated with the programming, especially since the format usually only delivers ten or fewer songs an hour!

This reminds me!!  I need to renew my subscription to XM real soon! :rolleyes:

Yup Blackwater. I have a very nice stereo in my Shop. I keep a Cloth over top to protect it. I just take the IPod out of the truck and plug it into the one in the shop. I too, cant stand the playlists, commercial and the talk garbage. Unless its Sunday morning. Ten there is a station that I listen to in order to get some church in. Gotta keep feeding the soul, and I can no longer handle sitting in a church pew.

I like rock and heavy metal. I don’t listen to streaming stations any longer because all the ones that were commercial free aren’t now. I have 2 local rock radio stations I occasionally listen to.      
Most of my listening is done using Apple Music, my iPhone and Bluetooth speakers. I have created numerous playlists and if I want to just listen to their selections I pick a favorite song in the genre I want to listen to and once that one ends they play another and so on in that same genre. 

Got a Sirius subscription with the new car, promptly bought an indoor unit to run through the stereo tuner and outdoor antenna.  If you have a clear view to the South, you won't need the latter.  We are in a canyon and will have to get the antenna up toward the top of the house.

If you want a good oldies (60s) rock & roll station, stream KOZY 1320 Grand Rapids MN.  At times the broadcast will be local interest or sports, but it's great when the music is playing.  This afternoon it is "Hot Rod Radio" with Reveille Rock by Johnny & the Hurricanes playing.  

9 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

In the Atlanta radio heyday, the 90’s

The radio stations are just fine.  You are just 30 years OLDER.  The heyday for me was the late 50s, 60s and early 70s.  They do not sell 45 or 33 1/3 rpm records anymore.  In fact they pretty much don't even sell CDs anymore.  They do not even sell IPods anymore. Modern kids get everyting online.  The music business today bares no resemblance to decades past.

4 hours ago, Zeb Gray, #36839 said:

If you want a good oldies (60s) rock & roll station, stream KOZY 1320 Grand Rapids MN.  At times the broadcast will be local interest or sports, but it's great when the music is playing.  This afternoon it is "Hot Rod Radio" with Reveille Rock by Johnny & the Hurricanes playing.  

It all went to crap here when Fox 97 disappeared. It was 50-60s.

I’m paying $5.95 a month for Sirius , it’s worth it. Lots of good stuff and not only music. News, Talk and I especially like the comedy channels.;) 

I have SXM subscriptions in Uno's truck, my car and the house.   {Since we had a metal roof installed, I will need to install an external antenna for the house.}   I have the app on my phone.  I have a bluetooth set up in the sewing room so I can connect my phone to a couple of small speakers and stream SXM there.  My internet capable receiver in the great room also has a couple of stations I have just started listening to.  I can't function without music.

We had a couple of stations in Nashville, in the early to middle ‘70s that played a lot of music and not much in the way of commercials.  After the “morning drive” shows, the rest of the day was “fifteen to twenty songs an hour” with news and commercials at the top and bottom of the hour!  The DJ might comment in between numbers or take an extra second or two to introduce something new, but mostly they just played music!!

Archived