SASS Wire Forum

Oops!

17 hours ago, July Smith said:

3,885 FPS is a little fast for SASS, might want to check your load data.

30 grain pill in a 223. Definitely not SASS. 

15 hours ago, Presidio said:

Let's raise them sight adjustments just a tad bit higher :o

It was an AR15 with the chrony about 6’ from the muzzle. Forgot to account for how far the sights are above the barrel.

Expensive lesson learned.

My Chrono looks about like that, but can’t remember why, still works though. One of my future purchases will Be: I understand they are really well made and accurate. 

IMG_0465.png

16 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Aw, that outta buff right out :rolleyes:  Little Bondo and a dab of paint maybe . . . .

Make Red Green proud, use duct tape.:lol:

7 hours ago, Long Gulch, SASS #53035 said:

Competition Electronics website says they will repair (replace?)  no matter the condition at half the cost of current retail + shipping. Just a thought or maybe you already checked.

I just checked and it looks like you’re right. I sent a note to be sure.  Will let you know the answer. 

13 hours ago, Still hand Bill said:

Garmin is or has released a new radar chronograph as competition to the LabRadar.  I expect this will push a few LR’s into the used market.  I know I am considering changing.  

Thanks for that. Garmin  Zero C1 Pro. Price point is about the same. WHat an improvement The other model Garmin makes had some serious speed limits, whereas the C1 Pro measures up to 5000FPS. It is getting some really good reviews. Nice small and can actually fit in your pocket. You hav e made me change my mind. I’m going to be waiting anywayMaybe next Summer. Hopefully there will be a lot more feedback on just how well the perform over time. Thanks again Still Hand Bill.

12 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Make Red Green proud, use duct tape.:lol:

I actually do have some duck tape on mine after the neighbor knocked it over onto the concrete. Still works.

56 minutes ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

Thanks for that. Garmin  Zero C1 Pro. Price point is about the same. WHat an improvement The other model Garmin makes had some serious speed limits, whereas the C1 Pro measures up to 5000FPS. It is getting some really good reviews. Nice small and can actually fit in your pocket. You hav e made me change my mind. I’m going to be waiting anywayMaybe next Summer. Hopefully there will be a lot more feedback on just how well the perform over time. Thanks again Still Hand Bill.

I just picked up the garmin tonight.  It’s tiny.  Looks really good, except it won’t give velocity at specific distances like the LabRadar.   Not sure if they can update the software to do that.  Need to get out and test it before deciding which one to keep.  

1 hour ago, Still hand Bill said:

I just picked up the garmin tonight.  It’s tiny.  Looks really good, except it won’t give velocity at specific distances like the LabRadar.   Not sure if they can update the software to do that.  Need to get out and test it before deciding which one to keep.  

Really, that’s interesting. After you had a chance to play with for awhile, how about coming back and post a review. I’m there’s a few that would enjoy that.

6 hours ago, Still hand Bill said:

Yes. A review would be quite helpful.

23 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

30 grain pill in a 223. Definitely not SASS. 

It was an AR15 with the chrony about 6’ from the muzzle. Forgot to account for how far the sights are above the barrel.

Expensive lesson learned.

I know a guy that learned that lesson with a scoped 25-06 and the hood/fender well of a new truck.

13 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I just checked and it looks like you’re right. I sent a note to be sure.  Will let you know the answer. 

20 hours ago, Long Gulch, SASS #53035 said:

Competition Electronics website says they will repair (replace?)  no matter the condition at half the cost of current retail + shipping. Just a thought or maybe you already checked.

Here’s the response…

The 2 year warranty covers defects from workmanship and materials.  Damage done by you is not covered under warranty, but we do offer repair service.  If it is a current model chronograph we will replace at half retail if it is damaged beyond repair.  If we can repair it, the cost will be less than that.

On 10/20/2023 at 12:18 AM, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

Really, that’s interesting. After you had a chance to play with for awhile, how about coming back and post a review. I’m there’s a few that would enjoy that.

I did a quick test yesterday.  Grabbed my red Ryder and entered a new string on the garmin, set it down next to the fore end on the included tripod.   Fired off 5 shots, turns out a red Ryder is about 275 fps.  Really easy to use and small.  No real setup, just set it down and start shooting.  

for comparison a LabRadar would need to be aimed at the target, then a remote trigger stuck to the side of the receiver.   The trigger I have is magnetic, so it’s simply stick it on.  Depending on how good your alignment is to the actual projectile path you can get speed data out to 100 yards at 5 selected intervals.   The Garmin won’t do this.  It only gives one speed which I assume is muzzle.  Literature is not clear how the garmin figures speed.  LabRadar says for Doppler trigger, 0 range is the first time it crosses the beam.   When using remote trigger or microphone trigger, it calculates the time offset from firing to when it first sees the projectile, then adjusts speed back to the muzzle based on speed and time. 

after using a radar chronograph I would never go back to optical except for shotgun (radar won’t work) or a magnetic.  If buying new, unless you need to figure short range (sub 100 yard) BC, the Garmin xero C1 pro is smaller, lighter, easier to get data.   No comparison really.  If buying used, the LabRadar could be a good choice to save a few beers.  

fwiw my LR will be for sale later today as I can’t justify owning both. 

Are using the new Labrador, or the older Labrador? I understand it makes a big difference. But I’m really picky right now. Im wanting to find a place to end up long range. 26 years ago I was shooting competition in military. The biggest caliber my shoulder can get away with is a 270. I picked up a Tikka T3 Hunter, Vortex Scope and a Grizzly Muzzle brake. Then I wear a Shockeater shirt with an added PAST recoil Protection pad.  It makes it possible for me to shoot. Thinking about trying my luck with an Identical rifle in 308. But that’s another expense I don’t have right now and Im having trouble finding a place to shoot.

Ballistics are an interest to me in shooting long range range so matching the load to the the rifle is important. If Im going to change Chronos I want the best for my situation.  Let me know. 

Archived