SASS Wire Forum

Deefence

Rye Miles #13621

Why is defense pronounced DEEFENCE in football but nowhere else? You don’t hear self-Deefence, they don’t even say it in baseball as far as I know. So anyone know why? 

I’ve only had one cup of coffee so far excuse me.:P

32 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Go back to bed, Rye.

I’m wide awake now! 3 cups of coffee! Shooter is ready!!

41 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Go back to bed, Rye.

So you have no answer? C'mon man!!:P

6 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

So you have no answer? C'mon man!!:P

That's easy. The pronunciation is correct when they use this sign.

Screenshot_20230919_075134_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Don't battle wits with me. You're going to lose and I haven't even had coffee yet.

9 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Don't battle wits with me. You're going to lose and I haven't even had coffee yet.

I never battle wits with someone below my level. I'll leave you alone now!

4 minutes ago, Cheatin Charlie said:

That is easy DEEFENCE is what the Steelers used to beat the Browns last night! :D

That was cold! They only won by 4 points, I know a win is a win blah blah!!!!!!!!!!!!

20 minutes ago, Cheatin Charlie said:

Living by lake Erie you should be used to the cold!  I am starting my 2nd cup of coffee now.

It's probably colder where you live. The lake actually keeps us a little warmer believe it or not although the wind off the lake can be brutal!

4 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I always heard "Never have a battle of wits with an unarmed man."

That’s funny and I was packing at the time!:P

So far as the deefense/defense thing goes, it's the crowd that starts chanting DEEFENSE, DEEFENSE at a football game because they are drunk enough to think that the defense will get more fired up than they already are to prevent the other team from scoring. Conclusion - it's for the crowd to get fired up, not the actual defense

In baseball, the chant would be useless as the "defense" starts with the pitcher and only continues if the batter hits the ball. Conclusion - if one starts chanting DEEFENSE, DEEFENSE at a baseball game, everyone else with think they're a wacko rookie fan.:P

15 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Same reason it's pronounced "live" or "liv", "read" or "reed", or any number of words. Because it's pronounced that way.

Reed and read mean two different things as well as live and liv but defense and deefense mean the same thing but pronounced different, plus deefense is not really a word.

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Reed and read mean two different things as well as live and liv but defense and deefense mean the same thing but pronounced different, plus deefense is not really a word.

10 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Actually, usually somewhere between DEEfence and DUHfence, but closer to DEEfence.

2 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I was reading it as Subdeacon Joe presented it. I'm just saying that they're pronounced that way because they're pronounced that way. One of the many weird things that the English just does.

Kind of in the same vein as "to", "too", "two, and "there", "their", "they're". 

2 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I was reading it as Subdeacon Joe presented it. I'm just saying that they're pronounced that way because they're pronounced that way. One of the many weird things that the English just does.

Kind of in the same vein as "to", "too", "two, and "there", "their", "they're". 

I agree but deefense is a made up pronunciation only used in football. Maybe basketball and soccer but not in baseball or in self defense etc. 

I couldn’t sleep last night so my mind was coming up with weird things!:lol:

14 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I agree but deefense is a made up pronunciation only used in football. Maybe basketball and soccer but not in baseball or in self defense etc. 

Somewhere, at some point in time, some announcer probably said OFFense and said DEfense immediately after to differentiate, and your sleepless night has him to thank.

16 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Yeah...that black coffee with keep you awake at night...among other things.:P

34 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Maybe you need to go have coffee with Alpo.:rolleyes:

13 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Can’t battle with an unarmed opponent!  :D

8 hours ago, DocWard said:

Somewhere, at some point in time, some announcer probably said OFFense and said DEfense immediately after to differentiate, and your sleepless night has him to thank.

Agreed, probably back when crackling radio broadcast was the only option.  Dee-fence is similar to saying nine-er.

Archived