SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 1892 in 357 only

Trigger Mike

The two I had were Rossi copies.  Both of them had trouble with 38 special length cartridges, but ran 357 magnum reliably.  Your mileage may vary.  They are apparently still in production.  

A friend of mine has one in .357 and it becomes a Jam-O-Matic with .38Spl as well.

We were going to try putting a sleeve in the magazine to see if that helped, but it seems simpler to just use .357 brass in it. 

11 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

Does the JM marking make any difference?

“JM” is a Marlin thing. Is this gun made by Winchester? I would buy it if it was. You can load .38 Special powered cartridges in .357 cases. 
I have a Win. 94 Trails End in .357 and it’s a really accurate shooter. I can shoot .38 Spl from it but it will jam. 
If it’s a Rossi, I personally would walk away. I have only owned one Rossi and that was enough for me. PITA gun. 
Did I mention my Winchester 94 .357 was accurate? Love shooting real magnum loads from it. 

I have an Uberti 73 in .357 and I shoot.38’s. My OAL is 1.48 they work fine. I would think a 92 would be the same. 

The ‘73 and the ‘92 are ENTIRELY DIFFERENT guns. The feeding systems are probably MORE different than night and day!!

The ‘92 is waaay more sensitive to overall cartilage length because of the feeding system and much MUCH more difficult to make work with shorter or longer OALs than the toggle link rifles.  The ‘92 IS capable of handling much stouter loads!

Sometime in the late 90s I bought my first Rossi. A 92 SRC in 357. And it fed everything I put in it, including empty 38 brass. The only thing it did not like was some 3D factory reloads with an extremely long nosed SWC bullet.

I would read on the wire and here in the Saloon (ACS) about how this 357 would not feed 38s and that 357 would not feed 38s, and I would smile because mine never had any problem.

I gave that 357 to my daughter, but I currently have four Rossi 92s - 44/40, 44 Magnum, and 45 Colt. And the Magnum will feed both Magnum and Special.

Maybe I just lucked out.

30 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

The ‘73 and the ‘92 are ENTIRELY DIFFERENT guns. The feeding systems are probably MORE different than night and day!!

The ‘92 is waaay more sensitive to overall cartilage length because of the feeding system and much MUCH more difficult to make work with shorter or longer OALs than the toggle link rifles.  The ‘92 IS capable of handling much stouter loads!

I had a Rossi 92 that ate .38’s with no problem as long as I had the OAL at around 1.48-1.50 

14 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Sometime in the late 90s I bought my first Rossi. A 92 SRC in 357. And it fed everything I put in it, including empty 38 brass. The only thing it did not like was some 3D factory reloads with an extremely long nosed SWC bullet.

I would read on the wire and here in the Saloon (ACS) about how this 357 would not feed 38s and that 357 would not feed 38s, and I would smile because mine never had any problem.

I gave that 357 to my daughter, but I currently have four Rossi 92s - 44/40, 44 Magnum, and 45 Colt. And the Magnum will feed both Magnum and Special.

Maybe I just lucked out.

I think I had a bad Rossi 92 to begin with. Mine was a .45 Colt with the 24” octagon barrel. I bought it from a well known SASS shooter with the promise “I only used it in one match. It’s only had a hundred rounds through it at most. It’s been sitting in my safe for 10 years.”

Yeah, Bull ****!
Anyway, it was very cartridge length sensitive. I had to replace springs and parts as some knucklehead “slicked it up”. It was running fine then all of a sudden it would puke rounds out the top like crazy. The problem was “all of a sudden” the cartridge guides needed shimming. I fixed that and sold it to Cabela’s with the stipulation they don’t sell it to another Cowboy Action Shooter. 

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I have an Uberti 73 in .357 and I shoot.38’s. My OAL is 1.48 they work fine. I would think a 92 would be the same. 

Different loading system, Rye.  The '73 uses an elevator that raises the cartridge up before being loaded into the chamber.  The '92 has a carrier that lifts the rounds at an angle. The OAL length is critical to keep from flipping the rounds out of the top in an 1892.

28 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Different loading system, Rye.  The '73 uses an elevator that raises the cartridge up before being loaded into the chamber.  The '92 has a carrier that lifts the rounds at an angle. The OAL length is critical to keep from flipping the rounds out of the top in an 1892.

I know all about the difference in the actions but that Rossi still worked with .38's! It wasn't very smooth but it cycled everytime just like the previous folks said. 

I got a 92 rifle in .45 Colt.  It's marked EMF and Hartford.  It fired beautifully right out of the box and the only problem I've had was it had a trigger pull that would rupture a tendon.  Local gunsmith charged me a whopping $5.00 to lighten it and I have zero problems with it since and I have shot all manner of loads (including some BP loads that Cliff hanger made) through it.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I know all about the difference in the actions but that Rossi still worked with .38's! It wasn't very smooth but it cycled everytime just like the previous folks said. 

The two I had would throw 38s over my shoulder unless they were loaded over 1.50".  Mine were original non safety versions.  I have a 44-40 version now that is a sweet shooter.

22 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

The two I had would throw 38s over my shoulder unless they were loaded over 1.50".  Mine were original non safety versions.  I have a 44-40 version now that is a sweet shooter.

Mine ejected them far and away as well but it always cycled.;)

3 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Mine ejected them far and away as well but it always cycled.;)

Mine threw the loaded round off the carrier and out of the gun before the round could be loaded into the chamber.  If it stayed on the carrier, it would feed, but the action of the carrier raising from the magazine tube would throw shorter rounds out of the gun before they made it to the chamber.  

I've had 2 of the Rossi 92s in .357. The first was fussy on 38s, had to be 140 grain bullets or longer to feed right. The second is not as fussy and has fed everything so far.

Archived