SASS Wire Forum

Throwing down the gauntlet, a sad ending

Oak Ridge Regulator

If you have seen my previous post about my nemesis deer and the pictures that went with it you know the story, well last night just before dark he stepped into my sights, It was muzzle loader season, frontal shot, he left a hell of a blood trail until it just stopped dead, went back with flashlights but only found 2 drops more blood, looked around for an hour then went back out this morning, he dropped about 100 yards beyond where I stopped looking, he was easy to find because of the coyotes, there was NOTHING left except the skull, I wouldn’t believe an animal could be picked that clean over night and the BIG black coyote that was still eating looked like he wanted to argue before he decided to leave, I really love venison and the coyote around here are about to get a serious dose of birth control

D4681DF9-3CBF-4A4D-940C-872081BD0FBB.jpeg

Oh man that so sucks. They don't last overnight around here either. The hunters up the road lost 2 last year and one this year to yotes at night. Me, I haven't seen a thing all season.:( this will be my 18th year without success if I don't find one in the next few days!

One session I climbed a point of a ridge and made my way up it. I jumped up a bunch of does that ran down the ridge parallel to my travels. Maybe 30 yards away. Shot one with 7mm-08 from Remington 788 carbine.  Went to investigate.   Blood everywhere.  The blood trail looked like someone took a 5 gallon of barn red paint and poured it out.  Couldn't have made it far. Got to end of ridge and the blood stopped.  No deer. Small meadow fields below.  No deer. I was completely stumped.  Kept looking in bigger circles.  I went and got Mary to help look.  We'd go over the blood trail and try to puzzle it out.  Finally, just a few yards after the blood trail ended, we found it had pitched forward and slipped under and old tree top.

Kaya hit a buck two years ago right at last light. Little blood but a definite hit. I was sitting with her and saw he was not a healthy deer when he hit the woods. I said let's not push him and get him at first light. We found him just after sunup. All that was left was spine, skull and hide. Heartbreaking for her.

Hunted in southern NY over the years. Once a member of a hunting club in NY came in with a fresh Yote pelt

. He said a small doe obviously in a panic ran by him. He sat real still and very quickly a Yote came running after the doe. He punched the Yote’s ticket and skinned him out. Had the pelt rugged and it wasn’t bad. 
we had a policy at that camp. If a deer runs by willy nilly, wait for the dogs, be they Yotes or Feral.

CJ

Only thing that can strip a carcass faster than a pack of coyotes is piranhas!

Utah used to have a bounty on coyotes.  (About a dollar a left ear if I remember right.  You could keep the rest of the pelt and we sold a lot of the better ones..)

Kids would get a car load of their friends together on weekends or after school and for coyote hunting.  A lot of shotguns ans .22 rifles around there.  Some times of the year you could. make a few bucks a weekend.  That was when I was when I was earning seventy five cents an hour working in a Union 76 station, pumping gas, changing oil, doing lube jobs, mending and changing tires, washing cars, changing mufflers and spark plugs, doing tune ups, and all the rest.  I was dating a girl whose little brother saved up his bean-picking, hay-bucking, lawn mowing, snow-shoveling, fish bait selling, and every other cent he could earn on Victor traps and used them for coyote, a bobcat or two, a few beaver, and most everything else with hair.  Not sure when the ambitious little fart slept, but out-earned me every year for five years.  Up until I got a job with the first Albertson's in our town and made assistant store room manager in less than five months and put myself through the first three years of college.

There were  also bounties on jack rabbits crows, hawks, feral cats, and other stuff that farmers hated.  My uncle allowed as how his life would be easier if there were a bounty on tramps, bums, and "other human pests".

I have been considering taking up coyote hunting here in WV. Selling the pelts appears to be a PITA though. Not much money for the effort, but I see it as a public service and buzzards gotta eat too. 

Still can’t believe they can do this overnight, I think I had a little more meat left around the head than her buck did looking at this picture but not much

11 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have been considering taking up coyote hunting here in WV. Selling the pelts appears to be a PITA though. Not much money for the effort, but I see it as a public service and buzzards gotta eat too. 

I loved my days of call hunting coyotes. Gas prices eventually made that not practical.

2 hours ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

Still can’t believe they can do this overnight, I think I had a little more meat left around the head than her buck did looking at this picture but not much

We left the farm about 6:00pm. Got to it around 7:30am the next morning. That buck was probably 170 pounds on the hoof at a guess. No guts, no meat left. How many yotes do we have to be able to do that? 

this is what our typical VT coyote looks like, the New England fish and game departments have done a lot of DNA testing and there results have found no canine DNA but a lot of wolf DNA mixed into their past, this guy was 43 lbs when I shot him a few falls ago and I know they have gotten them much bigger, after seeing what was left of my deer im thinking the 1911 is going muzzle loader hunting with me from now on, just in case

IMG_1862.JPG

Archived