SASS Wire Forum

Better Production Values Than Most Netflix

Subdeacon Joe

Well if they move back to California - again - where they gonna live? I seem to recall that when they first moved back to California they discovered that homeless people had squatted into their house, and since they couldn't evict them (I don't recall whether evicting them would be illegal or simply wrong) they went back to Texas.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Well if they move back to California - again - where they gonna live? I seem to recall that when they first moved back to California they discovered that homeless people had squatted into their house, and since they couldn't evict them (I don't recall whether evicting them would be illegal or simply wrong) they went back to Texas.

In the PRoK it is darn near impossible to evict anyone from your property. This is true for several other states as well..

All because their laws considers squatters a civil matter and not a criminal matter. :angry: 

35 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

In the PRoK it is darn near impossible to evict anyone from your property. This is true for several other states as well..

All because their laws considers squatters a civil matter and not a criminal matter. :angry: 

I'm sure a way, a method, can be found.

;)

the winds come in this one. What are you gonna do when it’s 6070 mile an hour winds with that 18 inches think this is bad better, but get your big boy pants PammyWe had our first real snow storm and I was putting gas in and the guy across from me. It’s like boy that’s a lot of snow we only had 3 inches turns out he moved here from California. I was like him might not like it here nor do we really want you here but if you think 3 inches is a lot of snow what are you gonna do when we get our 12 to 18 , the winds come in this one. What are you gonna do when it’s 60to 70 mile an hour winds with that 18 inches think this is bad this may not be the place for you

Watched this two days ago….while in Florida for vacation.  Anyways we drove by a Bucees (first we have seen and never been in) on the way down in Northern Alabama and my lord it was huge on the outside.  We kept joking we would make it a destination on the way back, then I watched this video and showed the wife.

The anticipation built on the way home and kids asked a million times if  how far away bucees was.  Finally get there and wow you couldn’t find a parking spot…got inside and it was a zoo….packed with tons of people going every which way.  The wall of jerky was impressive, but there was also a meat counter for the jerkey and the cherry maple was fantastic.  I asked one of the several counter ladies if it was always this busy and she said indeed it was.

The bathrooms were massive and nice, overall the store was extremely clean and no less than 10 billboards advertising pay of 17-22 dollars an hour to start there.  Got some snacks, jerkey, cinnamon cashews, and I had to try the brisket sandwich which I thought was average.

Overall it was like a strange child of a gas station, tractor supply, and Cabelas…..Apparently it’s pretty common for the kids at high school to wear bucees shirts and such yet too…

53 minutes ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

What are you gonna do when it’s 6070 mile an hour winds

Winds over 6,000 mph?  

When you've only seen it snow once in your life, and that maybe half an inch that was gone before noon 3 inches is a lot.  

17 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Anything you do to force a squatter out will get you arrested and thrown in jail.  @Yul Lose 's wife has first hand experience with this.

Yep, during the Covid scare the land lord or property owner had no way to evict a tenant. The POS that she had to deal with was not even the legal tenant and he never paid one dime in rent. The ranch was forced to pay his electric bill also. There were very steep sanctions against the landlord if they did anything to the tenant. 

3 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Winds over 6,000 mph?  

When you've only seen it snow once in your life, and that maybe half an inch that was gone before noon 3 inches is a lot.  

60-70  LOL and not uncommon here  , well thats why i say this area might not be okay for some , Deadwood ended up with 23 on this one .  I drive a Ram 2500 4wd and have had drifts over it  

Transgender Cat Center? :lol:

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

That’s one of the reasons for the extreme vetting of people renting homes there now. When I moved back to CA (for the 3rd time - yes, I believe I might be retarded) the process for renting a house was akin to getting a job at an Aerospace company and getting a “Secret” clearance. I am not exaggerating. This property manager asked me about a ticket I got in NC in 2006 when I rolled through a stop sign. Weird. 

By the way, I am loving West Virginia ;)

3 hours ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

60-70  LOL and not uncommon here  , well thats why i say this area might not be okay for some , Deadwood ended up with 23 on this one .  I drive a Ram 2500 4wd and have had drifts over it  

:D I knew that's what you meant, just couldn't resist the dig.  We get that in the hills around here.  Hence the Planned Public Safety Power Outages.   I think leading up to the Tubbs Fire in 2017 some of the hills/mountains were clocking over 100 mph.  Down on the flats it was more 25 to 20 mph with gusts to 60.  

Believe it or not a goodly portion of Californians would be able to adapt, it just doesn't happen overnight.

ADDED:

Just like when we move to Kentucky I think it will take a few years to get used to seeing it green in the summer.

9 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

:D I knew that's what you meant, just couldn't resist the dig.  We get that in the hills around here.  Hence the Planned Public Safety Power Outages.   I think leading up to the Tubbs Fire in 2017 some of the hills/mountains were clocking over 100 mph.  Down on the flats it was more 25 to 20 mph with gusts to 60.  

Believe it or not a goodly portion of Californians would be able to adapt, it just doesn't happen overnight.

ADDED:

Just like when we move to Kentucky I think it will take a few years to get used to seeing it green in the summer.

It will be a culture shock period, a good one but still a shock

46 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

ADDED:

I think that it takes a few years, sometimes never, to lower your guard, enjoy the land and actually trust strangers again...no matter where you've moved from or to. 

40 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I think that it takes a few years, sometimes never, to lower your guard, enjoy the land and actually trust strangers again...no matter where you've moved from or to. 

My wife and I, in general, trust people until they show they aren't to be trusted.  That's not saying we are unaware of our surroundings, but that when we interact with people we are open, honest, and trusting.  When we are out and about on foot we have a general awareness of our surroundings, but every now and then we get a feeling about something. So we check to make sure our pockets, belt pouches, purse, etc. are secure, walk a little closer to each other, and our heads swivel a little more.  She'll shift her purse so it's between us if it isn't already.  

But we "fit in."  When we went to PA in 2008, staying at KOAs all the way, lots of people thought we were locals.  We go to a Greek, Russian, whatever parish and the grandmothers will start talking to us in Greek, Russian, etc.  thinking we are "from the old country."

Some things, though, I don't adapt to.  I was raised in San Diego County.  I've been in Sonoma County since the early 1980s, and I still have trouble with how late it stays light in the summer.  There is about a 47 minute difference in time of sunset.  And I know that it will be weird for us to see hills green in the summer.  Summer it when the hills are supposed to be a nice tawny gold, with little clumps of dark green from chaparral.

Our family is transitioning out of our current, restrictive state. Our ranch will stay put until we find the right property. We have spent a lot of time in our new location and just purchased a second home there. Fortunately we “fit in” and are thought to be locals already. The people that do know where we are from realize that country folks are pretty much on the same page and dont judge us by our crap government. I can say that is not the case in some other areas we scouted. The biggest problem is the SASS club down the road from the new house has TWO shoots a month…

4 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

When Mary and I moved here I would comment to people how much I missed the beautiful scenery of West Virginia. I am pretty sure everyone takes this area for granted as they looked at me like I was nutty or something. Some would respond in agreement but many just give me this funny look…I think it’s a nonverbal “Bless yer heart”. :lol:

Archived