SASS Wire Forum

I was left unsupervised, so...

Let's see ... pancakes and syrup are a thing.
Waffles and syrup.
Pancakes or waffles with honey.
Biscuits and chocolate gravy looks pretty good to me!!

Okay, I can see the chocolate "gravy" on biscuits...a travesty to a Southerner :D but I can see it.

Bacon with chocolate...never. 

On the other hand, bacon goes with anything. Okay, I can see it.B)

I had some chocolate “gravy” on some French Vanilla ice cream with sandwich cookie crumbles last night. Nummy!

This morning was eggs, bacon and toast. 
For the first time ever I cracked an egg with a double yolk this morning. I gave that one to my dog Maddie. She’s a good old girl. She liked it with her dog food. 

C33B6C2E-62D4-4306-BDA7-D7D198A6AE50.thumb.jpeg.4da38f425afd80154f39db3bcf8d13ca.jpeg

A68FBDAC-1892-4084-9B68-9477AF195B9A.thumb.jpeg.466f8775869febd7cf2fefbed7e2392d.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Okay, I can see the chocolate "gravy" on biscuits...a travesty to a Southerner :D but I can see it.

Chocolate covered bacon - Give it a try

https://www.thespruceeats.com/chocolate-covered-bacon-521192

A sheet of chocolate covered bacon

Twenty minutes 'til noon and I'm just now making breakfast (Very strange morning): french toast with lots of real butter, real maple syrup, real bacon and link sausages, and my OJ/AJ cocktail and coffee with a LOT of sugar.   Should tide me over until 4:00 or so.

1 hour ago, Jim Brown said:

Chocolate covered bacon - Give it a try

https://www.thespruceeats.com/chocolate-covered-bacon-521192

A sheet of chocolate covered bacon

........ and I get shot down over pineapple on pizza .........   :mellow:

4 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

........ and I get shot down over pineapple on pizza .........   :mellow:

Pineapple on pizza is ok as long as there's jalapeños on it as well. 

7 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Really ,? Because how I know of it that lady that made it couldnt have been more southern Hillbilly as you have ever seen  In 1990's still using a out house in a House that was over 100 years old 

17 hours ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

Really ,? Because how I know of it that lady that made it couldnt have been more southern Hillbilly as you have ever seen  In 1990's still using a out house in a House that was over 100 years old 

Really.;)

4 minutes ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

Is it chocolate gravy or chocolate sauce?

Asking for a friend.:D

More of a sauce.  Actually pretty close to a pudding, but not quite as thick.

Chocolate Gravy

3/4 cup granulated white sugar

1/4 cup cocoa powder

3 Tablespoons self rising flour

2 cups milk

2 tablespoons vanilla extract

2 tablespoons butter

Mix the first three ingredients either by sifting or whisking in a bowl until no lumps remain.  Add milk and stir until smooth and fully incorporated.  Transfer to a saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring frequently, until desired thickened consistency is achieved, usually 7 to 10 minutes.  Remove from heat, mix in butter and vanilla.  Serve warm over biscuits, waffles, pancakes, toast or what ever your heart desires.

On 11/19/2022 at 10:46 AM, Cypress Sun said:

From allrecipes.com :  

Also known as sopping chocolate, chocolate gravy is a classic breakfast in the South, particularly in the regions of the Ozark and Appalachian Mountains. Its popularity should not be surprising, since Southerners have been drizzling their biscuits in sweet sorghum syrup and molasses for generations.

The exact origins remain hazy, but The Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America suggests that chocolate gravy may have been created through a trading network between the Tennessee Valley and Spanish Louisiana, bringing "Mexican-style breakfast chocolate to the Appalachians."

1 hour ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

From allrecipes.com :  

Also known as sopping chocolate, chocolate gravy is a classic breakfast in the South, particularly in the regions of the Ozark and Appalachian Mountains. Its popularity should not be surprising, since Southerners have been drizzling their biscuits in sweet sorghum syrup and molasses for generations.

The exact origins remain hazy, but The Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America suggests that chocolate gravy may have been created through a trading network between the Tennessee Valley and Spanish Louisiana, bringing "Mexican-style breakfast chocolate to the Appalachians."

I guess my Southern family tree grow a little southeast of chocolate gravy on biscuits (or bacon). Now molasses and sorghum syrup on either, that's another story! 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived