SASS Wire Forum

"Holiday Nog"

Subdeacon Joe

A week ago I noticed in the dairy section of Safeway Calafia Farms "Holiday Nog."  Now, we have been using oat "milk" for most things recently - although I do still buy heavy cream to use in coffee.  One of the brands of oat "milk" we tried and liked is Calafia Farms, so I said to myself, "Alllll right then!  What's alllll this, then?"   So on a whim I bought a bottle.  It's pretty darned good.  Has all the flavor but none of the cloying sweetness and overly thick texture of most commercial egg nogs.  I even used it a couple of times in place of heavy cream to make cranberry-orange scones.

Save on Califia Farms Almondmilk Holiday Egg Nog Dairy Free Order Online  Delivery | Stop & Shop

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

"Oat" milk?  :huh:

Sez "Almond" milk on the label. :mellow:

We buy oat milk as our milk substitute of choice.  I just happened to see this as I was looking for oat milk.  That it is almond based has nothing to do with it.  

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

NO!!  Just NO!!  EGG NOG period.  Just made the seasons first French Toast with Egg Nog this morning.

There I can agree with you.  I'll buy real eggnog to use as my french toast custard.

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

THAT SOUNDS LIKE AN ALPO OBSERVATION.

He likes califia Farms oat milk. This is also from CF. That is the only tie in.

Exactly.   Thanks.

Milking oats must be a time consuming effort. How do you tell the hims from the hers?:lol:;)

I see alcohols for egg nog as bourbon, rum, brandy or whiskey. What is preferred?

1 hour ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

Oat balls of course :)  But they are that new fangled trust the science pronoun crew so  they go anyway :)

Gotta watch out for those transgender oats.

4 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Milking oats must be a time consuming effort. How do you tell the hims from the hers?:lol:;)

........ well the "hims' don't got milk, and the "hers" do ...... sometimes ......   :blink:

Dana Loesch on her radio show said that dairy farmers were upset about calling these alternatives “milk”. 
She suggested they call it for instance “Almond juice or Oat juice and not milk!:lol: 

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Dana Loesch on her radio show said that dairy farmers were upset about calling these alternatives “milk”. 
She suggested they call it for instance “Almond juice or Oat juice and not milk!:lol: 

...... and her am correct !  ^_^

4 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

No, she’s wrong. Let her be upset.

I beg to differ but she’s right! It’s not milk and the dairy farmers don’t like  it! 

9 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Which has caused some places to require relabeling to "oat drink" or "almond drink."  But common use is still "milk,"

9 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Sounds like someone else trying to tell people what to think and say.  Next thing you know they'll be telling us we have stop saying "milk of magnesia",  "milk of  human kindness", "liebfraumilch", "milking it for all it's worth" and many other similar phrases.

I wonder what the government thinks (if they do think, individually or collectively) about non-government agencies infringing on their area of expertise ie: dictating to people in order tho confuse and befuddle them.

In other words: this is crap and who really gives a big rat's patootie?

1 minute ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Sounds like someone else trying to tell people what to think and say.  Next thing you know they'll be telling us we have stop saying "milk of magnesia",  "milk of  human kindness", "liebfraumilch", "milking it for all it's worth" and many other similar phrases.

I wonder what the government thinks (if they do think, individually or collectively) about non-government agencies infringing on their area of expertise ie: dictating to people in order tho confuse and befuddle them.

In other words: this is crap and who really gives a big rat's patootie?

The dairy farmers care!

On a related topic, I recently purchased a half gallon of Blue Bell Egg Nog ice cream. I can NOT recommend this particular flavor of Blue Bell ice cream.  The overpowering sweetness of it was not pleasant.  I actually threw better than half of it away, rather than finish it.

bluebell egg nog.JPG

I don't see what the fuss all about.  

Is it going to take a penny out of anyone's pocket, give a penny to anyone, change anyone's way of life, or seriously  (SERIOUSLY!) cause anyone any grief whatsoever?

It's a non-subject.  Let it die.

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Sounds like someone else trying to tell people what to think and say.  

More like product identification or confusion.  Now, I don't see how anyone with two or more working brain cells could think that "milk" made from nuts, grains, or legumes is actually milk in the dairy sense, but these products are carried in the dairy section, are used just like milk (for the most part and look similar. 

For myself, I'm happy that Safeway finally changed the color of the buttermilk carton so that it doesn't look almost exactly like the 2% milk and put them side by side.   I don't know how many times I took the second carton back of buttermilk, just looked at the color, and went home with 2%.  Not good for biscuits or cornbread. 

I still don't understand why it's a big deal.  I guess I never will.

I'm officially protesting the words "40", "forty" and "rod" being used on the same page or in the same conversation so no one will mistake me for someone who gives a damn. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

What are they going to do? Go on strike? Tell the ladies to “hold it”?

I didn’t say that I said they’re upset about calling it milk period. Whatever you want to think is just fine!

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

More like product identification or confusion.  Now, I don't see how anyone with two or more working brain cells could think that "milk" made from nuts, grains, or legumes is actually milk in the dairy sense, but these products are carried in the dairy section, are used just like milk (for the most part and look similar. 

For myself, I'm happy that Safeway finally changed the color of the buttermilk carton so that it doesn't look almost exactly like the 2% milk and put them side by side.   I don't know how many times I took the second carton back of buttermilk, just looked at the color, and went home with 2%.  Not good for biscuits or cornbread. 

You forget that there’s a lot of brain dead people out there. 
I use the stuff myself because I’m lactose intolerant but I understand the dairy farmers opposition to calling it “milk”.

There’s also Lactaid which is REAL milk with the lactose removed. You would never be able to tell the difference. 

1 minute ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Next thing ya know, they’ll lobby to change the name of the milkweed.

22A857AF-D939-428B-B550-A3B4F365D5BC.jpeg

It’s not sold in the dairy isle is it? :P

Archived