SASS Wire Forum

Proposed 2023 MLB Changes.

Cypress Sun

Bigger bases, pitch clocks and shift bans. 

Although I agree that the games take far too long these days, I disagree with all of these changes. I can see the pitch clock turning into a big game changing cluster****.

Read some of the proposed changes below.

MLB Players Association says 2023 rule changes impact 'the integrity of the game itself' | Fox News

14 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Bigger bases, pitch clocks and shift bans. 

Although I agree that the games take far too long these days, I disagree with all of these changes. I can see the pitch clock turning into a big game changing cluster****.

Read some of the proposed changes below.

MLB Players Association says 2023 rule changes impact 'the integrity of the game itself' | Fox News

I hate em all!! I also can’t stand the man on second in a tie game in the 10th that they’ve been doing this  year!:angry:

I don't like any of them, but I really hate the shift ban.

Here's an idea - power hitters, learn bat control!   A halfway decent player should be able to "hit em where they ain't" all night long when the shift is on.  

Put the responsibility where it belongs rather than changing the rules. 

Baseball was my favorite sport in part because of the tradition.   They've totally ruined it for me.

It is the same in all major sports. Initially there is a group of fans that have a good understanding of the game and the importance of good offense and defense.  They appreciate the finer details of moving the runner into scoring position in baseball, the running game in football and this is your core audience. 

But as TV coverage got bigger the sports and networks want more people who don't really understand the sports to watch too. They want them to feel left out if they can't talk about the game at the water cooler.

This has led to the rules being adjusted to favor offenses.  A person who doesn't understand the hit and run in baseball or appreciate a well pitched low scoring game can get excited about a 13 to 9 score.

They just showed the stats from the minors and it seems the elimination of the shift made NO difference in the batted  ball in play results.

I don’t like the pitching rules!!  After the pitcher throws over to first twice, the runner is free to advance because the pitcher can’t throw over a third time during an at bat.  Pitcher can’t even step off the rubber more than twice in an at bat!!

I kinda’ like the shift restrictions and keeping the infielders on the infield.  The shortstop can go right next to the second base bag if he wants, which in effect, tightens up the right side or the second baseman can go as far to tighten up the left!  I think that’s far enough!!

As to the clock??  A clock has no place in baseball!!  The reason for the clock, despite EVERYTHING said in its support, is to speed up the game for the sake of television programming!!  More programs means more sponsors for the various stations and networks!

I wish they’d just leave the game alone!!  They have taken the catcher out of the base running part of the game, pitchers don’t bat anymore, some batters never take the field, and some nerd in an office that’s nowhere near the ballpark decides if the umpire made the right call!  All of that is just to mollify the damned gamblers!!

The only one rule I agree with is the DH for both leagues. It's NOT because I'm a fan of the DH so much as now both leagues are on the same page. It was about time, the rest of it they can stick it where the sun don't shine!:angry:

41 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

They are not proposed rules, they are the rules.

Maybe not yet......................Three notable rule changes will be coming to Major League Baseball during the 2023 season, but representatives of the MLB Players’ Association voted unanimously against them. 

2 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Maybe not yet......................Three notable rule changes will be coming to Major League Baseball during the 2023 season, but representatives of the MLB Players’ Association voted unanimously against them. 

Note it says “will be coming”. I can’t see the players assoc going on strike over them. They only dig their feet in on $$ issues.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Note it says “will be coming”. I can’t see the players assoc going on strike over them. They only dig their feet in on $$ issues.

I guess we'll see, they haven't voted yet but I bet they're against a few of these. I don't think they'll strike either but they may get a few of these tossed especially the pitchers limit on throwing to first base and 15 seconds between pitches etc. Like I said we'll see!!:o

On 9/10/2022 at 5:06 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The only one rule I agree with is the DH for both leagues. It's NOT because I'm a fan of the DH so much as now both leagues are on the same page. It was about time, the rest of it they can stick it where the sun don't shine!:angry:

I respectfully disagree with this.

I'm not a DH fan.   For years I preferred to watch NL games for this reason.    Pitchers batting required strategy.   I swear to God the every new rule just takes away from the strategy of the game.   Those that liked the DH had the American League.   It was the best of both worlds.

Only reason the two leagues need to be on the same page is interleague play - which I'm not a fan of either!

12 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

The new bases are both wider and lower by an inch. That is where the claimed fewer ankle injuries comes about.

And more runners will be out on close plays at first base.  Their foot will have to travel a microsecond longer to come down and touch a lower base, so more of them will be called out on challenged plays.  Fewer base runners = lower scores, I betcha.

3 hours ago, Bart Slade said:

I respectfully disagree with this.

I'm not a DH fan.   For years I preferred to watch NL games for this reason.    Pitchers batting required strategy.   I swear to God the every new rule just takes away from the strategy of the game.   Those that liked the DH had the American League.   It was the best of both worlds.

Only reason the two leagues need to be on the same page is interleague play - which I'm not a fan of either!

I Respectfully disagree, I love Inter-league play! It gives everyone a chance to go and see teams that we could never see before. If the Dodgers come to Cleveland I’d love to go see them. DH or not I think inter league play is good for the game in the long run.

5 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I Respectfully disagree, I love Inter-league play! It gives everyone a chance to go and see teams that we could never see before. If the Dodgers come to Cleveland I’d love to go see them. DH or not I think inter league play is good for the game in the long run.

Fair enough.     

I suppose what's true about many things in life - they don't get anywhere by catering to the purists.    Or traditionalist may be a better term.   Baseball moreso than any of the other major sports is about tradition.   Or, more correctly, it is to me    

So "the powers that be" divide and conquer.  They create the DH.   They add 37 layers of playoffs.  Pitch clock.  Electronic strike zone.  Radios for the pitchers and catchers to communicate.  Point to first for an intentional walk.    For any one of these things there's only a minority of people who don't like it.   And of that minority, there is an even smaller minority that will give up on the sport because of it.

It all started in 1895 with the introduction of the infield fly rule.   Baseball has been on a downward spiral ever since!

14 minutes ago, Bart Slade said:

Fair enough.     

I suppose what's true about many things in life - they don't get anywhere by catering to the purists.    Or traditionalist may be a better term.   Baseball moreso than any of the other major sports is about tradition.   Or, more correctly, it is to me    

So "the powers that be" divide and conquer.  They create the DH.   They add 37 layers of playoffs.  Pitch clock.  Electronic strike zone.  Radios for the pitchers and catchers to communicate.  Point to first for an intentional walk.    For any one of these things there's only a minority of people who don't like it.   And of that minority, there is an even smaller minority that will give up on the sport because of it.

It all started in 1895 with the introduction of the infield fly rule.   Baseball has been on a downward spiral ever since!

That’s a little over the top I have to say. Baseball is still the greatest game in my the mind. We all will get used to whatever they change and still love the game it at least I will! Everything changes not only baseball. 

10 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

That’s a little over the top I have to say. Baseball is still the greatest game in my the mind. We all will get used to whatever they change and still love the game it at least I will! Everything changes not only baseball. 

I was exaggerating a little for effect (my including the infield fly rule for example).  

But the rest of it....they could change the rules back to what they were 100 years go (and I'm talking about the rules of the game, not the rules of who can and cannot play based on anything other than ability).  and I'd be all for it.

And yes everything changes.   Which is why it's so important that there are a few things that DO NOT change!   Would be nice to have something you could hold on to.  

Okay, the DH has pluses and minuses. Just using my team, the Cardinals, Wainwright as a pitcher batted over 200 lifetime with a lot of home runs. He could be better left in the batting lineup than someone on a slump. But, the DH has allowed also a player like Albert Pujols to get several more years playing time. The ONLY reason he ever left the Cardinals was he wanted a longer contract than any NL team could afford to commit to. So I see the pluses and minuses of the DH.

Size of bases? Again, it will help the elite of base stealers, but won't truly affect the majority of players.

The rule against the shift? Nope, teams will get burned often enough to control it, but I am still amazed at how really great players, like Matt Carpenter, never could learn to adjust to it.

I'm ore annoyed at saying that pitchers are now limited in how many times they can throw to First.

Length of games? I would say that the additional commercials shown has more to do with longer games than anything else.

Go play catch with some kids.  It’s relaxing, all of you will enjoy it. If you know how, teach them how to throw different pitches.  You might create another member of Cooperstown.  :)

46 minutes ago, Bart Slade said:

I was exaggerating a little for effect (my including the infield fly rule for example).  

But the rest of it....they could change the rules back to what they were 100 years go (and I'm talking about the rules of the game, not the rules of who can and cannot play based on anything other than ability).  and I'd be all for it.

And yes everything changes.   Which is why it's so important that there are a few things that DO NOT change!   Would be nice to have something you could hold on to.  

I’m watching Cleveland vs the Angels! Love it! I get to see Ohtani and Trout. Inter league is great! 

39 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Go play catch with some kids.  It’s relaxing, all of you will enjoy it. If you know how, teach them how to throw different pitches.  You might create another member of Cooperstown.  :)

This is a fact!    I coached Little League for 6 years (when my sons were playing).   Very satisfying!    One of the kids in the league (not on my team, his dad was also a coach) played in the big leagues for 2 games in 2015, 3 at bats.    Best I can tell he gave it up in 2020.  

Archived