SASS Wire Forum

single action revolver for home defense

Marcus

3 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

"......... as long as there is no malfunctions."

Ah, that is the key.

Todays 'quality' semi autos are very reliable as is the ammo for them.   But there is always that possibility that something could go wrong

just when you needed it most.

I have some super fine semi auto pistols:  Five 10mm, of which they all have given me 100% reliability so far.

I have TWO of the .460 Rowland modified Kimbers that I would gladly carry in bear and hog country.

BUT....... when the sun goes down and 2-legged monsters start to roam,  my S&W model 69 (.44 mag) is resting by the bed just in case something

goes 'bump' in the middle of the night.

Its only a 5 shooter, but I TRUST it.

..........Widder

Most times when the sun goes down or during the day light roaming I either pull out the Glock or the 1911. But you know what they say a handgun is only for getting to that long arm.;)

10 minutes ago, Slapshot said:

But you know what they say a handgun is only for getting to that long arm.;)

Clint Smith is supposedly the author of that dumbass statement.

Let's look at the young man at the mall the other day. The bad guy pulls out his AR and start shooting people. The young man quickly whips out his Glock, and holding it in the high ready position he goes out the nearest door, to the parking lot, gets to his car, gets in and drives home, where he gets his rifle, and then returns to the mall to engage the bad guy. Who by that time has killed 76 people.

The purpose of a pistol is to have a gun when you cannot carry a rifle.

Back to the OP's question.

Yeah, it'll work as well today as it did 150 years ago- but it ain't the best option these days. 

Personally, I think a long gun would be a better option if you're a novice.

Long guns are easier to shoot.  The 3 points of contact (both hand and the shoulder) makes them steadier and the longer sight radius makes them more accurate  They are also heavier, so- if using the same ammunition as a handgun- felt recoil will be less.

Speaking of 'the same ammunition as a handgun', have you considered a lever action carbine like the Rossi clone of the Winchester Model 1892?  I hear they are quite popular in Brazil.  Even the shortest ones hold more than a revolver (the 16 inch models usually hold 9 or 10 and 20 inch models are usually around a dozen), they only weight around 6 pounds AND that longer barrel gives you better velocity while the increased sight radius makes them easier to shoot accurately.  Recoil? A whole lot easier to handle than the same ammo out of a 2 pound pistol.

Not to mention that you can smack a feller up side the head with that walnut butt stock if the need arises.

And shooting fast?  There's a whole bunch of World Champs that won it with a '92 long before the slicked up, short stroked toggle links and Marlins took over the sport.  If you know what you're doing- which you can learn with a thing called "practice"- if don't take long to empty one and make hits.

On 7/21/2022 at 7:29 AM, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Your English is not bad at all.

Regarding revolvers, please remember that loading and reloading a single action revolver is time consuming, and you do not want to do that under fire.  For home defense, double action is the way to go.

Think Josey Wales, no different than a NY reload, except with a serious caliber.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Clint Smith is supposedly the author of that dumbass statement.

Let's look at the young man at the mall the other day. The bad guy pulls out his AR and start shooting people. The young man quickly whips out his Glock, and holding it in the high ready position he goes out the nearest door, to the parking lot, gets to his car, gets in and drives home, where he gets his rifle, and then returns to the mall to engage the bad guy. Who by that time has killed 76 people.

The purpose of a pistol is to have a gun when you cannot carry a rifle.

LOL, that was meant as a funny, maybe I should have put a winky smiley face. 

Sorry. That statement's one of the many that pushes my buttons. I noticed that as I have gotten older I tend to snap out quicker.

No problem.

I do believe as a old Jarhead a longarm is far better than a sidearm. So if I can use my sidearm to retrieve my longarm in trunk, room close by and have sufficient time to do that, I will. John Wick I am not, I need every advantage I can get.

I kept a .45 SAA for home defense and as a daily carry gun for over 20 years.  I have never felt under-gunned at any time.  I never expected to get into a long term gunfight, probably not more than a shot or two.

About ten years ago I switched to a .45  ACP 1911 and keep two extra loaded mags with it.  I'm older, slower, and not as accurate as I used to be and situations had changed in California to where I could conceive of multiple bad guys and more extended gun battles.

If you get a single action and enough proper practice you can learn to shoot as well as most SASS shooters and at about the same ranges as you'll find in your home.

20 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

"......... as long as there is no malfunctions."

Indeed.
I always thought my 870 Wingmaster to be the ultimate in reliability... until it jammed up solid after experimental rapid firing of low-base Gun Club shells from the extended magazine.  I had to wait until it cooled and could eject the spent shell.

I own only revolvers for the above reason, plus CA is trying to make semis illegal.
I have zero interest in 9mm, and don't reload anything in 45 caliber.
I'm adding another 44 (Ruger Alaskan) to the herd in late August or so when it clears the CA waiting baloney.

I checked the CAD (Circular Discussions Archives) and this is the 346th thread on The Single Action Pistol for Defense. :lol:
And going pretty much the same. ;)

7 hours ago, bgavin said:

Indeed.
I always thought my 870 Wingmaster to be the ultimate in reliability... until it jammed up solid after experimental rapid firing of low-base Gun Club shells from the extended magazine.  I had to wait until it cooled and could eject the spent shell.

I had a friend that had the same problem with his 870. I handed him some high brass shells and problem solved. I learned THAT a long time ago from another friend who had an Ithaca that did the same thing.

12 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I checked the CAD (Circular Discussions Archives) and this is the 346th thread on The Single Action Pistol for Defense. :lol:
And going pretty much the same. ;)

UB,

I checked the CAD (Circular Discussions Archives) and only ONE person has checked those Archives to see how many times

the Single Action Pistol for Defense has been discussed.

Interesting.......... :lol:

..........Widder

I have never heard of them before, but wouldn't circular discussions archive be CDA, not CAD?

Thought CAD was computer assistant drawing.

52 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I have never heard of them before, but wouldn't circular discussions archive be CDA, not CAD?

Thought CAD was computer assistant drawing.

UB is the CAD :lol:

I do believe the OP fell asleep…or we ran him off…

56 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

UB is the CAD :lol:

I do believe the OP fell asleep…or we ran him off…

Probably the latter.

Not that the thread won't continue on without him- like all good zombies should.

1 hour ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Probably the latter.

Not that the thread won't continue on without him- like all good zombies should.

Or answered his question. Which I do think was accomplished.

But the conversation can certainly drift from here. Here is a summary of firearms control history in Brazil:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_control_in_Brazil

Citizens were limited to purchasing only 50 rounds per year until a few years ago. Now they have the "right" to 5,000 rounds per year.

11 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

CAD is CDA to someone who might be a little lesdistic.... I mean, DIslexic.

..........Widder  (or am I really Reddiw)

:lol:

It's also known as ACD (in alphabetical  order like they are supposed to be) if you're obsessive-compulsive.

monk.jpg

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

CAD is CDA to someone who might be a little lesdistic.... I mean, DIslexic.

..........Widder  (or am I really Reddiw)

:lol:

There are 37 possible words of various lengths in the Scrabble Dictionary that can be made from "widder"

18 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

You mean lysdexic? I see wide and wider. And red.

That leaves 34 words to go.

You don't like ride and dew?

Or for that matter, drew and did.

DE
DEI
DEID
DEW
DI
DID
DIE
DIED
DIRE
DREW
DRIED
ED
ER
EW
ID
IDE
IRE
IRED
RE
RED
REDD
REDID
REI
REW
RID
RIDE
WE
WED
WEID
WEIR
WEIRD
WIDDER
WIDE
WIDER
WIRE
WIRED
WRIED

I have several double action revolvers around my house for self defense, S&W 15, 19 and a 637. I'd probably cock them in the heat of battle just from muscle memory from CAS!:lol:

So yea a Single action is just fine if that's what ya gots!

Archived