SASS Wire Forum

Former Japan PM Shinzo Abe shot during campaign speech

Buckshot Bear

I saw the video and it looks like the shooter used black powder, tons of smoke after he shot. The bore size on the "gun" looked bigger than a shotgun!

I saw one stupid report calling it a dangerous 3d printed gun and it went on to say the 3d guns are a Huge problem.

Another saying he was shot in the chest when the video clearly shows the shooter behind him.

I suspect they will now outlaw BP in the land of the rising sun, if it isn’t already. 
of course you can make your ow BP.

And let the idiocy commence. :blink:
Bad guys will always find a way.

As I recall the last Japanese politician who was assassinated was killed with a sword.

1 hour ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Reminds me of the weapon in Line of Fire.  Improvised, one time use. 

In a way, yes it did.

From the pic's I've seen of the gun, it appears to have two barrels and is very crudely constructed and held together with some type of black tape. I don't believe that it was a shotgun type weapon, as Abe was the only person hit based upon the press releases that I've seen. If it was a shotgun type weapon, he must have used some type of slugs or large pellets or everyone else got extremely lucky. I've seen pics of the gun laying on the ground but no other objects to compare size with although the pic with the holster in it indicates that it was a larger type gun.

I don't have any idea of what the security measures are as far as protection (like the Secret Service) for present or former Japanese politicians. By the still pics and video I've seen, the assassin was within 10' of Abe and the holster is clearly visible. Seems like a breakdown of security measures to me, but then the Japanese aren't really expecting assassination by gunfire nor am I an expert on security measures.

He was conservative, though exactly what that means in japan isn't clear to me.  Was apparently hit in the heart according to one report.  The gun very much resembles a larger double barreled version of a '50's zip gun.

Years ago, I read of a mental patient who escaped from a facility. Fortunately, he was apprehended before hurting anybody. But he was found to have made two guns. One was a bolt-action smoothbore that could fire several different high-power cartridges including .30-30 and .30-06!  The other was some type of blowback gun!  Both were made from bicycle handles!  Not the most reliable of weapons, but he might have used it to get ahold of a regular gun taken off a police officer or other armed person! 

RIP Abe San!

RIP Abe-sensei.  

The murderer told police he has a grudge against some organization that he believes Abe was associated with.  A lunatic madman can't be expected to make much sense.  He will be executed; they do that in Japan.  Furukawa Yoshihisa, the current justice minister, has said that as long as “atrocious crimes” occur, the death penalty must be available."

Too bad the Edo Period punishments are no longer used.  During the Edo Period (roughly 1200 to 1700), more than 200,000 criminals and lawbreakers were publicly executed.  Criminals and rebels were beheaded or sawed alive which installed great fear onto the Japanese people which further prevented them from rebelling.

All punishments were incredibly harsh. Theft, for instance was punishable by banishment, at the lightest end of the scale, or banishment accompanied by mutilation such as cutting off the ears and nose. Female culprits were not mutilated but were ordered to parade through the village naked. Torture was also an acceptable method of getting a confession. Some of the torture included flogging, pressing with weights, water torture, etc.  Serious crimes such as murder and arson were punished by death. The criminals were executed in various ways such as boiling, burning, crucifixion for killing a parent, husband etc., decapitation by sword, sawing and waist-cutting (cutting the person in half, often alive at least at the start of the process). 

32 minutes ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

Too bad the Edo Period punishments are no longer used.  During the Edo Period (roughly 1200 to 1700), more than 200,000 criminals and lawbreakers were publicly executed.  Criminals and rebels were beheaded or sawed alive which installed great fear onto the Japanese people which further prevented them from rebelling.

All punishments were incredibly harsh. Theft, for instance was punishable by banishment, at the lightest end of the scale, or banishment accompanied by mutilation such as cutting off the ears and nose. Female culprits were not mutilated but were ordered to parade through the village naked. Torture was also an acceptable method of getting a confession. Some of the torture included flogging, pressing with weights, water torture, etc.  Serious crimes such as murder and arson were punished by death. The criminals were executed in various ways such as boiling, burning, crucifixion for killing a parent, husband etc., decapitation by sword, sawing and waist-cutting (cutting the person in half, often alive at least at the start of the process). 

You left out the fact that fine new swords were systematically tested with a particular series of cuts on condemned criminals. 

Archived