SASS Wire Forum

I'm not a roofer but I got..

Michigan Slim

Shingles! Like Covid with a rash so far. Hit me in my lower back like a hornet sting Saturday while I was mowing. By that night I had a rash bigger than my hand. Right on my belt line. Headache, feels like I have a kidney infection (I don't), joints hurt. Tired as heck. Tomorrow is a new day.

I haven’t had that experience. Didn’t want to. I got the shots. 

Hope you feel better soon. 

I inquired some time ago about the shot after a coworker had it. $750.00!!!! Insurance wouldn't help.

I had that, thought it was a kidney stone. Turned out to be shingles.

It goes quick just tough it out

ewwww , i feel for you , i had it a number of years ago near my eye , i had to deal with the eye doctor as well as the other and none of it was fun , hope you get over it soon , wish i could tell you there was a way to tarp it and protect yourself but its kinda gotta run its course with the help of the medications - its a virus thing after all , 

15 minutes ago, watab kid said:

ewwww , i feel for you , i had it a number of years ago near my eye , i had to deal with the eye doctor as well as the other and none of it was fun , hope you get over it soon , wish i could tell you there was a way to tarp it and protect yourself but its kinda gotta run its course with the help of the medications - its a virus thing after all , 

Yeah I had it near my eye also.

Worst physical pain I ever felt! 

I got the shots at my wife’s urging. She got shingles when she was in her early thirties, on her face but luckily it didn’t affect her vision or hearing.  Said I didn’t want it, we both got the shots last year. Luckily my insurance covered them. When she got shingles, Drs gave her steroids. Said the body deals with the virus better than any meds would, and the steroids will help her body be strong enough to fight the bastards. That was a few decades ago, perhaps they have different meds now?

Ann and I both got the shots and just like @Pat Riot, SASS #13748, insurance paid it at no cost to us. :)

We are having to pay for new shingles on our house though. :(

No wind damage, just age having lost a lot a granules - 16 years.

Found out the manufacturer made bad shingles that year. :angry:

12 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Shingles! Like Covid with a rash so far. Hit me in my lower back like a hornet sting Saturday while I was mowing. By that night I had a rash bigger than my hand. Right on my belt line. Headache, feels like I have a kidney infection (I don't), joints hurt. Tired as heck. Tomorrow is a new day.

I feel for you Slim. My wife got shingles on the inside of her left thigh in 2006. She suffers to this day, can't ride on the motorcycle, hiking brings her to tears. Prayers yours heal fast and complete, it generally does.

12 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

I inquired some time ago about the shot after a coworker had it. $750.00!!!! Insurance wouldn't help.

Cost me 400 a couple years back.

11 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

I had that, thought it was a kidney stone. Turned out to be shingles.

It goes quick just tough it out

It's not just me then. It actually started like I had a UTI.

As part of my "Getting Older" shot recommendations from my Doctor, I got the shingles vaccine shots last year.  Insurance covered the cost but the shot location hurts like hell for several days.  There is a series of two shots several months apart.  My arm hurt both times.  I've never had shingles so I guess it works.

I received my first shot from the VA a month ago. My shoulder hurt for a week. From what you are describing, that seems a small price to pay. I get my next shot in August.

18 minutes ago, Cholla said:

I received my first shot from the VA a month ago. My shoulder hurt for a week. From what you are describing, that seems a small price to pay. I get my next shot in August.

Small price. Today is the worst one yet. No energy. My wife is, lets just say.......... disappointed with me for not going to the clinic yet. Today is the day.

3 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Small price. Today is the worst one yet. No energy. My wife is, lets just say.......... disappointed with me for not going to the clinic yet. Today is the day.

Get your butt to the Doc. My wife had to wait 3 weeks to get an appointment to get checked for her rash. When she got there, they told her she should have been there 3 weeks ago and would likely now have serious neropathy. Now she does and it's been over 16 years.

Don't take the chance Slim.

Taking a couple meds now. Went to bed a couple hours early last night as I was exhausted. Have not slept a wink. I feel great but I sure would love to get a good night's sleep. I'll mow the lawn this morning and try to get a nap. 

Archived