SASS Wire Forum

I saw 500gm of AP70N go for $400.00 the other night and also 500gm's of AP50N and they went within minutes.....makes that TB cheap :( 

Primers at Horsley Park are now supposedly $220.00 a brick :( 

9 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I saw 500gm of AP70N go for $400.00 the other night and also 500gm's of AP50N and they went within minutes.....makes that TB cheap :( 

Primers at Horsley Park are now supposedly $220.00 a brick :( 

From HPGS website they are $170 a brick for SPP

FEDERAL SMALL PISTOL PRIMERS (1000)

12 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Are they scalpers or gougers ? .......... is there a difference ? .........

........... the wholesale price they paid for it might factor some input I suppose .....   <_<

If it's overpriced and I need it, it's gouging.

If it's overpriced and a friend needs it, it's scalping.

If it's overpriced and a friend is the one selling it, it's just the way the market works.

Are these pricing from an auction or are they what businesses are charging?

That’s interesting. You all can get 1.5 kg containers of Trail Boss. That’s 3.3 pounds. The largest we can get in the US is 2 pounds. 

I paid $36 each for 2 - 9 ounce containers a few months ago. I had never tried Trail Boss before and wanted to try it out. Now, if you can find it, the price is about $26 each 9 Oz container. 

1.5 kg = 3.3 pounds = 52 ounces

1.5 kg in AUS = $110 USD

$110 / 52 ounces = $2.12 per ounce

1 - 2 pound container + 2 - 9 ounce containers = 50 ounces (2 shy of the 1.3 kg container)

At Brownells in the US the 9 ounce container is $26.60 and the 2 pound is $72.79

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/powder/pistol-powder/imr-trail-boss-powder-prod41221.aspx

72.79 + 26.60 + 26.60 = $125.99

$126 / 50 ounces = $2.52 per ounce. 

Considering Trail Boss is actually made in Australia your price should be cheaper. 

Aha! I found Trail Boss priced a bit less on another site that would put it at about your cost in Australia. Midsouth Shooter’s Supply has 9 ounce containers at $22.

Not redoing mY math now. It’s to early for calculatin’ numbers. :lol:

Bottom line is, we are all getting the shaft. I keep hearing it’s supply chain issues, but things seem to be available now that weren’t, but prices are still up. 

31 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

@Pat Riot, SASS #13748

These are private sales of people with powder for sale (maybe spare or they don't use that powder anymore etc etc) trying to make a killing because there's just no powder available. 

Ah! I see. Yep, we have that crap here too. 

2 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Are they scalpers or gougers ? .......... is there a difference ? .........

........... the wholesale price they paid for it might factor some input I suppose .....   <_<

True enough, my LGS has Bosnia primers for $17.00/100. He said his cost was about $15.00. He bought 5000

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:
1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I paid $36 each for 2 - 9 ounce containers a few months ago. I had never tried Trail Boss before and wanted to try it out. Now, if you can find it, the price is about $26 each 9 Oz container. 

Dearest Pat,

You will find that you will use about the same weights of Trail Boss as the other powders, but this will be a larger volume per load for Trail Boss.

You will see a higher level of powder in your cases and a double charge will, most likely, overflow your cases. This of course means that you will have to adjust your powder thrower.

If you are loading .44s or .45s and are using a Dillon press it is recommended that you change to the Rifle charge bar for your thrower in order to get the correct volume for your weight of choice.

.... not trying to teach Granma to suck eggs, but others also read these boards ......

hope this is useful  wbj

:)

From what I've been able to glean from various sources, Trail Boss is done for now. Experiment within the established/documented load data of other powders and adjust from there.

Sorry, but...Get over Trail Boss, it's done and it wasn't that good of a powder to begin with.

If your a fair dinkum shooter you don't sell your components at largely over inflated prices..you hang onto to them & use over the course of time.

I wonder sometimes how many scams there are  [ I'm referring to down -under ] with the prices advertised, I mean someone put's the add up & then sells quickly at a stupid high price, was it really sold to give the impression to others that ' hey I guess that's what we gotta pay nowadays.

Personally I have 'ample' reloading supplies & I ain't sellin !!! Times are crap at the moment ......

3 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

If your a fair dinkum shooter you don't sell your components at largely over inflated prices..you hang onto to them & use over the course of time.

I wonder sometimes how many scams there are  [ I'm referring to down -under ] with the prices advertised, I mean someone put's the add up & then sells quickly at a stupid high price, was it really sold to give the impression to others that ' hey I guess that's what we gotta pay nowadays.

Personally I have 'ample' reloading supplies & I ain't sellin !!! Times are crap at the moment ......

I agree and I also wonder about the legality of private sales of ammo components given the recording requirements when you buy from a shop?

43 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

On ADI’s website they say there will be no Trail Boss in 2022 due to “manufacturing optimisation”

You can read that here, scroll down to Trail Boss:

http://www.adiworldclass.com.au/2021/12/16/propellant-update/#

Pat it is quite possible that we wont see TB ever again from ADI (maybe someone else will take it on?).

There is quite a bit of turmoil in Australia between two major Defence Companies and ADI (In October 2006, the French military company Thales increased its 50 per cent share in Australian Defence Industries (ADI) to full ownership.27 Mar 2012) is caught up in this.

Adding to the mix is pretty poor relations at the moment between Aust and France and so we may not see the investment needed by Thales to get ADI up and running at full steam again.

This is conjecture but I think the writing is on the wall that ADI wont get the investment it needs from Thales and so it will need to concentrate on what it can do with current facilities and makes them the most money:(

I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.

i have to keep reminding myself when looking at my cramped storage shelve that having components is way better than shopping for them , but this thread did just that - actually made me wonder if i have enough of everything to get me down the trail a decent amount of time ..........im sure my days are getting fewer but even i could outlive my expectations and i dont relish buying at these prices , 

Up here We used to be able to buy Trail Boss in 5 Pound Jugs that look like the Normal 8 pound Jugs of RED DOT 0r GREEN DOT etc.

I have most of a jug ....

Jabez Cowboy

6 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

Pat it is quite possible that we wont see TB ever again from ADI (maybe someone else will take it on?).

There is quite a bit of turmoil in Australia between two major Defence Companies and ADI (In October 2006, the French military company Thales increased its 50 per cent share in Australian Defence Industries (ADI) to full ownership.27 Mar 2012) is caught up in this.

Adding to the mix is pretty poor relations at the moment between Aust and France and so we may not see the investment needed by Thales to get ADI up and running at full steam again.

This is conjecture but I think the writing is on the wall that ADI wont get the investment it needs from Thales and so it will need to concentrate on what it can do with current facilities and makes them the most money:(

I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.

Thank you for that explanation. 

I have a feeling the demise of Trail Boss is my fault. You see, I had not tried that powder until this past year. I actually found 2 pound sized 9 ounce containers of it and snatched it up to try in .45 Colt loads. I was very pleased with it and developed a nice easy to shoot but heavy enough as a defensive load round that I could use for SASS, target shooting or defense, if need be. I do not use ammo in SASS that I couldn’t use for defense. 
Anyway, Murphy’s Law seems to be my Guardian Angel’s guide to testing me so this might be an additional reason for the demise of Trail Boss. Funny…but not funny, if you know what I mean. 

Edit. I keep forgetting TB doesn’t come in 1 pound containers. 

When I was getting started, I got two 2# tubs of Trail Boss, to be prepared in advance.
This was done before it all went nuts.

That same year, I accumulated 170+ CA waiting period days for my guns, then waiting on leather.
Now, I'm fully stocked with center fire components, but loathe to spend them down when I cannot replenish.

I'm happy when I'm allowed to shoot 22LR in the interim.  Have lots of those.
My cardiologist says I'm ok for shotgun again in mid-April.
Been giving a lot of thought to Josie Wales in 22LR, though.

Archived