SASS Wire Forum

Subdeacon Joe Countdown!

DeaconKC

Since @Subdeacon Joe and the Missus are thinking of fleeing California in 2 years, I thought I would follow @Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L's lead and start a countdown thread for him!

730 days!

F-100F FW-730 | Air force, Aircraft, Military

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You and the wife will need to take a few long weekends, at B&B locations in other states.

It will help acclimate you to living in the USA again. ;)

This is a serious question. You're moving from California to someplace east of the Mississippi (I forget where). I assume that you will have your furniture and stuff loaded up on a truck and driven over there. Then you and the Mrs hop in your car and away you go.

It's an electric car. How far can it go on a charge - 200 miles maybe? How do you plan on getting across the country? Drive 200 miles, then rent a motel and hang around till it's got a charge, then another 200 miles? Take you a month.

Selling it in California and then buying another one when you get to wherever you're going is usually a bad idea. Cars lose a lot of value once they've left the lot.

Rent a gasoline car, and a car hauler, and trailer the electric car across the country?

Pretty simple, you rent a small U Haul for valuables and "Must haves" to get by with in case the truck is delayed, and a little car trailer to haul behind it.  Don't know how bad the PR of C has become, it may be you have to rent just across the border, pop in and back out.  I didn't have to tow a car, but did the U Haul when I moved to Montana. Worked great, and our moving van was slightly delayed but we had all the basics.

On 3/7/2022 at 6:52 AM, Alpo said:

This is a serious question. You're moving from California to someplace east of the Mississippi (I forget where). I assume that you will have your furniture and stuff loaded up on a truck and driven over there. Then you and the Mrs hop in your car and away you go.

It's an electric car. How far can it go on a charge - 200 miles maybe? How do you plan on getting across the country? Drive 200 miles, then rent a motel and hang around till it's got a charge, then another 200 miles? Take you a month.

Selling it in California and then buying another one when you get to wherever you're going is usually a bad idea. Cars lose a lot of value once they've left the lot.

Rent a gasoline car, and a car hauler, and trailer the electric car across the country?

Our lease on the car is up next year, we may go to a plug-in hybrid pickup.  Still evaluating.  The stuff we want to take will get loaded up in one of the pod type things and sent to KY.  We'll have the basics to get by and drive.  Right now with what we have the range is about 160 miles.  I forget the exact route I had roughed out, but it was to Salt Lake City, then take I-70.  Right now the longest stretch between fast chargers is about 120 miles, and we expect by 2014 2024 it will be better.  

It doesn't take all that long to charge at a fast charger, maybe 45 minutes.  With advancing technology that will improve. Already there are cars on the market that go from 20% to 80% in under 20 minutes.  It isn't the 57 hours or whatever the anti-EV people bray.

Joe, I met a guy that drove his Tesla  from Pennsylvania to Southern California recently. His range was a bit further but he  said with creative planning it's doable.

6 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Joe, I met a guy that drove his Tesla  from Pennsylvania to Southern California recently. His range was a bit further but he  said with creative planning it's doable.

Yep.  And it will only get easier.  It might not be the exact route I would prefer, but it's doable.  Tesla has a nice feature that will plan out routes for you, let you know how far between charge stations.  I see more manufacturers doing the same in the near future.

SDJ If at all possible plan a route that doesn't include I-70 through Denver. The stretch of I-70 between the Utah border and Denver is a pretty crappy drive. Denver's traffic is at least as bad if not worse than Sacramento's 

Mako Shark XP-830 DAYS

Chevrolet XP-830 Mako Shark II - specs, photos, videos and ...

Joe remember that moving companies dont transport guns, ammo or explosive/flammable components. It may make your load-out a little heavier.

Imis  ( looking at this in the near future, only a very shorty distance)

11 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Joe remember that moving companies dont transport guns, ammo or explosive/flammable components. It may make your load-out a little heavier.

Imis  ( looking at this in the near future, only a very shorty distance)

Unfortunately a few years back when things were really tight we had to sell off most of the hardware to make ends meet.

13 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Where in KY?

We are looking to settle in or near Nicholasville, just south of Lexington.  I have kin in Rockcastle County (Dad was from Mount Vernon) not far from there and some near Cincinnati OH.  Most important is that there is an Orthodox parish in Nicholasville.

Rockcastle, KY is really close to Clay county, Ky.  That’s where the Black Gold Shootout and Shootout in the Hills, the Kentucky State match are held in Manchester, KY.

44 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Rockcastle, KY is really close to Clay county, Ky.  That’s where the Black Gold Shootout and Shootout in the Hills, the Kentucky State match are held in Manchester, KY.

We'll be in Jessamine County, which by our driving standards still isn't very far.

On 3/7/2022 at 9:45 AM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Our lease on the car is up next year, we may go to a plug-in hybrid pickup.  Still evaluating.  The stuff we want to take will get loaded up in one of the pod type things and sent to KY.  We'll have the basics to get by and drive.  Right now with what we have the range is about 160 miles.  I forget the exact route I had roughed out, but it was to Salt Lake City, then take I-70.  Right now the longest stretch between fast chargers is about 120 miles, and we expect by 2014 it will be better.  

It doesn't take all that long to charge at a fast charger, maybe 45 minutes.  With advancing technology that will improve. Already there are cars on the market that go from 20% to 80% in under 20 minutes.  It isn't the 57 hours or whatever the anti-EV people bray.

Is the car a modified DeLorean?

9 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Whereabouts in OH are you?

Springfield, a bit northeast of Dayton.

2 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

OK, I'll admit that I don't get the train pictures you have posted.

The train number is the number of days you have left til you can escape!

Archived