SASS Wire Forum

Another Gun Cart Questions Pards

Buckshot Bear

Another Gun Cart Questions Pards please.

Almost finished my cart after a week and getting to the last part. 

I'm after some clever ideas on how you secure your barrels standing up in the cart ....with leather thong, rubber straps or how?

Looked at heaps of photos but the photos don't really show that up close, any suggestion really appreciated.

My wooden cart has a 3/8" dowel that slides into a hole on one end and drops into a slot on the other it spans the width of the cart.

On the stroller type carts there is usually a velcro fastener for each gun. Some folks will put a small slat that is screwed to the cart on one upright and pivots and drops into a slot on the other side.

kR

I build a locking bar assembly. It pivots on one end and locks in place with a rare earth magnet on the other. When you need to pull your guns out the locking bar is lifted up and is held in place by another rare earth magnet. Works really well.

CB5CFFF1-40D7-4502-999E-C90245057BAB.jpeg

62BAA48B-C8FD-49E2-A768-1388FA9D85AE.jpeg

E3827283-B0B9-4B86-9265-3D8508E88B21.jpeg

I've seen a number of different ones:

- the locking bars mentioned above

- magnets in the back of the upper rack

- an old belt fastened on both ends of the rack, with the buckle where it won't dig the barrels

- suspender loops on individual guns (the button hole of the loop pushed over shell casings sticking base-up out of the upper rack)

I used a hinged 1 x2 piece of wood that locks the guns in place.  The "gate" has a latch that is held in place with a pin.

I use some of those gun grabber magnets like you would use to hold a pistol in your truck.

Thanks one and all for the replies, I can't use a one piece of wood right across all five rifles as I want (need) them to be individually held.

Sat staring at it for so long and so many cups of java just looking and thinking and mulling it over.

Cut some leather thong and thinking to try it through some drilled out primer pocket nickel .357 cases and push them into holes and have the other end into some dowel?

Here's a mock up

20220209_090953_resized.thumb.jpg.7e13ef6253dd080bb4c6d3631ac4fd74.jpg

20220209_091002_resized.thumb.jpg.c942938cb847a8c454c9294a8d879057.jpg

20220209_091028_resized.thumb.jpg.b8ba85101635c696036e2d069ccde5e0.jpg

20220209_095052_resized.thumb.jpg.4e47363c0f1625efbd5b460a93cb446d.jpg

Very nice.  I used the same type of system on my carts (have since given them away and use a Rugged Gear cart).  I like the bullet addition.  I put a brass tack on the wood brace behind each slot capturing a leather thong, which I used to tie off each long arm.  This way there was little movement.  I also lined each slot with leather (glued on) to cushion the barrels and prevent finish from being worn off. 

35 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Taken it a bit further.....think this may work?

Want to do the finish filler, sand it down and stain and varnish it today as its sunny and nearly 90°F

20220209_113059.thumb.jpg.b503a3e614d5f935b9f7a7a3c63c469d.jpg

20220209_113117.thumb.jpg.64447dc8a15c5c316ca4b11e67c5442b.jpg

You can buy a gun mat , from Amazon and cut them to sizes and stick it with glue on the gun holders so that the gun rests on something soft :)

527A1727-383C-4D69-8306-148905346A38.jpeg

6D1B27C0-57D0-4994-A5AD-A96BB46099BB.jpeg

My new one, in design stage will use wool-on sheepskin for pads - lanolin is good, and leather straps with either snaps or posts.  Been a while, but I got by with Rifle, Shotgun and two pistols, so at most, I'll have three long gun slots.-

I bought a length of black bungee cord about 1/8" diameter; ran it across the front of the notched bar for the gun barrels, through holes in either end and tied a knot so the cord wouldn't come back out.  Holds shorter guns like coach gun no problem, but my 24" '73 I have to kind of snake the barrel in place becasue the cord won;t stretch that far.

(I'd take pictures of it, but it's about 600 miles away from me at the moment.)

these are some great ideas , my cart is a converted three gun cart so i have the modern holders with rubber fingers - they hold great but are not the fun period stuff these are showing more utilitarian than anything - im running a folding golf bag cart [it was my dads cart so i have a sentimental attachment , but it folds compactly and travels well ,  so i cant help with your nice cart system , you have done a marvelous job of making a really nice looking set up , 

the wood latch is similar to the brass rod ones i used in my office display case - they worked great , but it was relatively motionless - on casters to allow it to be double sided , i like the leather tethers better for not flipping loose when on rough terrain , my brass rod retainers were somewhat spring loaded to keep them from jostling loose from their retention hooks - even rolling it on carpet had its moments , perhaps a way to insure they cant lift when jostled ?  

in the end you need to do what you like ,thats just my 2 cents and worth nothing in these days of outrageous inflation , 

I like your idea and execution with the cartridge/leather cord pins. If I ever do a wood cart, I will probably steal your idea!

12 hours ago, watab kid said:

these are some great ideas , my cart is a converted three gun cart so i have the modern holders with rubber fingers - they hold great but are not the fun period stuff these are showing more utilitarian than anything - im running a folding golf bag cart [it was my dads cart so i have a sentimental attachment , but it folds compactly and travels well ,  so i cant help with your nice cart system , you have done a marvelous job of making a really nice looking set up , 

My last was based on a golf cart, don't have a picture of it,  worked just fine, and wasn't bad looking.  Gave it away.  I may base the new one on a cart as well if I cant find the wheels I have in mind for a slightly classier design, but still minimal.

Archived