SASS Wire Forum

Middle Earth & J.R.R. Tolkien

Chantry

Any other Tolkien geeks here?

Just started reading 'Lord of the Rings' again. I've probably read it more than 25 times since I first read it when I was about twelve and it's just as much fun to read as the first time I read the book.

That is a right fine idea.  I haven't read those since I was a teen.  I just added them to my list.  I do the "books on tape" thing (it is "streaming" now, but you know what I meant).  I have a long commute (hour each way) and I use the time to "read".

1 hour ago, Chantry said:

Any other Tolkien geeks here?

Just started reading 'Lord of the Rings' again. I've probably read it more than 25 times since I first read it when I was about twelve and it's just as much fun to read as the first time I read the book.

You read things that are 'new' every time!!!

What a fine series. Need to break them out again.

The author was an absolute genius!  He actually created several languages with alphabets to enrich the stories!

Enthralling is an apt description of the stories!

I read the three books or the Lord of the Rings “trilogy” as I remember it back in the 80’s. I have not seen any of the movies. Really don’t intend to. I may read the books again one day. 

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

The author was an absolute genius!  He actually created several languages with alphabets to enrich the stories!

Enthralling is an apt description of the stories!

The languages actually came before the stories.  And I've never read an author who developed a "world" like Tolkien

55 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I read the three books or the Lord of the Rings “trilogy” as I remember it back in the 80’s. I have not seen any of the movies. Really don’t intend to. I may read the books again one day. 

The movies are very good.  Peter Jackson kept the "spirit" of the books while at the same time made the movies accessible to the average movie goer.  The pace of the movies is quicker than the books, but necessary to keep the audience involved and keep the movie theater owners happy.  For them anything more then three hours affects their profits.

The cast is good to very good and the special effects are groundbreaking, brings scenes from the book to live that never could have been filmed completely with live actors.  Here is the charge of the Rohirrim:

2 hours ago, Zeb Gray, #36839 said:

Yes.  The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion, Middle Earth tales etc. numerous times.  Long & complex stories, but well worth the read.  So are Peter Jackson's film versions.  

Pretty much the same here.

FYI, there is another book that came out recently called "The Nature of Middle Earth" that follows in the steps of what Christopher Tolkien did.  My suggestion is to skim through it at a bookstore before actually buying it.  My guess is that J.R.R. wrote much of what is referred to in the book for his own benefit. At least a third of the book is on how elves age  & perceive things compared to men.  Even the author of the book stated something to the effect that if the reader isn't familiar with the Silmarillion then his book isn't for the reader.

1 hour ago, Chantry said:

The movies are very good.  Peter Jackson kept the "spirit" of the books while at the same time made the movies accessible to the average movie goer.  The pace of the movies is quicker than the books, but necessary to keep the audience involved and keep the movie theater owners happy.  For them anything more then three hours affects their profits.

The cast is good to very good and the special effects are groundbreaking, brings scenes from the book to live that never could have been filmed completely with live actors.  Here is the charge of the Rohirrim:

This Orc commander 

976320971_Screenshot_20220203-1645102.thumb.png.93d63d1318f3d8fb0472c2e19039eca8.png

always reminds me of Jack Palance.

I've seen the movies, which I really liked. I haven't read the books. I tried in college, but just couldn't get past the first couple of chapters.  Odd, because I love Michener and Cavell.  I should give it another go.

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The movies are well done.

3 hours ago, Chantry said:

The languages actually came before the stories.  And I've never read an author who developed a "world" like Tolkien

Frank Herbert's Dune series.  I have read Dune at least six times and the first four books three time.  Languages, cultures, etc on a universal scale.

18 minutes ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Frank Herbert's Dune series.  I have read Dune at least six times and the first four books three time.  Languages, cultures, etc on a universal scale.

He had me at family atomics. :D

I picked the first book up at a USO in VietNam, bought the others when I got home and have read and reread them over and over. When my great granddaughter came along I sent them to her mother for safekeeping until she is old enough to enjoy them.

Imis  ( I love the job Peter Jackson did on the movies)

I read the books many years ago, then watched the movie(s), and learned to play the music score on acoustic guitar.  I could keep playing it all night when I get going.  

I could not help noticing some glaring thematic similarities between Lord of the Rings and the Harry Potter stories. 

Tolkien was indeed a genius!

Archived