SASS Wire Forum

Holster stlye

Make do

Considering upgrading my holster set up. I tend to like my holsters low and at my sides (I shoot gunfighter) and have been considering a drop holster set up (bucardo style). But I also noticed that a lot of shooters wear their gun belts incredibly low (consider the picture that ran awhile back on SASS home page) is there a reason shooters prefer lowering their gun belts way below their waist instead of a drop holster? Typically, what are the advantages to lowering your belt over using a drop holster?

And long barreled guns are easier to draw from a lower rig.

Instead of a buscadero rig, just get holsters with longer loops that go over the belt. The problem with a buscadero rig is you cannot adjust their position easily.

Tomorrow I'll post a picture of my rig.

I can’t wear my belt low because it would end up around my ankles, I have a medical condition called noa$$atall.  I used a buscadero rig for a while but my weight used to vary between winter and summer and that changes the position of your pistols. I now use drop loop holsters similar to the Mernickle HP B-Western (I had one of these until it was stolen at a Banquet in Memphis), you can position the holsters how you want them.

https://www.mernickleholsters.com/shop/High-Performance-Series-B-Western-with-spots-and-stars-p210735004

Randy

11 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Instead of a buscadero rig, just get holsters with longer loops that go over the belt. The problem with a buscadero rig is you cannot adjust their position easily.

Tomorrow I'll post a picture of my rig.

There is a tab on the inside of the loop to keep the holsters from moving up as the pistol is drawn.

image1.thumb.jpeg.eaf169d8d0457d7f1317f914c6a427b2.jpeg

47 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I can’t wear my belt low because it would end up around my ankles, I have a medical condition called noa$$atall.  I used a buscadero rig for a while but my weight used to vary between winter and summer and that changes the position of your pistols. I now use drop loop holsters similar to the Mernickle HP B-Western (I had one of these until it was stolen at a Banquet in Memphis), you can position the holsters how you want them.

https://www.mernickleholsters.com/shop/High-Performance-Series-B-Western-with-spots-and-stars-p210735004

Randy

I suffer from the same condition.  Had my rig built with matching suspenders.

12 hours ago, Make do said:

Considering upgrading my holster set up. I tend to like my holsters low and at my sides (I shoot gunfighter) and have been considering a drop holster set up (bucardo style). But I also noticed that a lot of shooters wear their gun belts incredibly low (consider the picture that ran awhile back on SASS home page) is there a reason shooters prefer lowering their gun belts way below their waist instead of a drop holster? Typically, what are the advantages to lowering your belt over using a drop holster?

It's all about ergonomics and figuring out what is going to work best for the way your body is built.  Each of us has a "sweet spot" for the ideal position for the grip of the revolver.  Once you determine what that is via a ton of dry fire practice and shifting your rig around, you'll be able to start searching for a rig that puts the revolver in just that spot.

I had one of the early LH-9 Kirkpatricks rigs (2007) that was lowered and extra couple inches.  Although sold a year or so ago, it was a really nice rig.  I suspect most holster makers will do same.  JM, Jack Houston, Doc Noper and Aint Dunnit have done it for me  and I still use  2 Doc Noper's and the AD rigs..  You might even consider a little cant of muzzle forward in the option.

22 hours ago, Make do said:

Shoot me a PM. 

I will talk you through some of the best GF options:) 

Check out JM leather, Jonny makes 2 different styles of holsters just for gun fighters with a lower holster and a muzzle forward cant, on top of that you can order them in the color and stamping pattern of your choice, great holsters, great price, fast delivery, great guy to deal with

Archived